Tips on Sighting in Turkey Gun with Red Dot?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
MS2

Tips on Sighting in Turkey Gun with Red Dot?

Post by MS2 »

I have a new Benelli M2 20ga. with a Leupold red dot. Before I start patterning with different loads and choke combos, I need to zero in the red dot. Obviously don't want to start blowing my TSS handloads just to get the windage and elevation right. Someone suggested using dove loads for that purpose. Any tips on doing this?
paboxcall

Re: Tips on Sighting in Turkey Gun with Red Dot?

Post by paboxcall »

Use the field loads and start with a large target at 20 yards. I put the shotgun in a solid gun rest, and fire the first one. With the solid rest and red dot on my initial aim point, and not touching the gun at all, walk the red dot to the center of the pattern. Load another field load and verify.

That should put you super close with your TSS loads at 40. Different chokes will shift the pattern center a bit but nothing major unless your barrel threads weren't machined correctly of the choke wasn't machined correctly.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

To add to what Paboxcall said..

Adjust the bead dead center over the barrel and about a 1/2 above the vent rib or bead. Then start shooting the cheap stuff to see how close
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
VT_hunter

Post by VT_hunter »

If you have a modified or more open choke, I've shot a slug and adjusted POA/POI with that. Easy to tell where it hits. Make sure you're gun/choke can handle slugs before shooting
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

I have rifle sights on my turkey gun WITH the a red dot sight also. IF my battery goes dead I can still see the rifle sights through the bottom of the scope. You can check to see if they are both have the same point of aim easily too.

God Bless, Louis
maddog3355

Post by maddog3355 »

When sighting in a shotgun you need to take into consideration that it shoots like a bad grouping rifle so in all fairness you need to shoot multiple times. If you really want to sight it in good you will need to shoot multiple times at a target until you blow a hole, that hole is your average shot. I know this will cost more money than most want to spend but that is how to correctly sight in a shotgun.
stillc

Post by stillc »

youngoutdoors wrote: May 7th, 2021, 10:23 pm I have rifle sights on my turkey gun WITH the a red dot sight also. IF my battery goes dead I can still see the rifle sights through the bottom of the scope. You can check to see if they are both have the same point of aim easily too.

God Bless, Louis
What scope do you have? Because I got an Athlon Optics Argos BTR Gen II 6-24x50mm, and it isn't really helpful when the battery is dead
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

Sorry for the slow reply. Just saw this message this evening. I have a Truglo red dot sight on my turkey gun. I mounted sights off an old 700 on the rib and they are just high enough to see through the scope too. Don't think you will be able to see sight through that scope though.

God Bless, Louis
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I start really close to where I shoot holes in the target. Like 15’

Every times that’s all I’ve needed to do and it took the guessing the best pattern part out the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Vegrouer

Post by Vegrouer »

Sighting in Turkey Gun with Red Dot? You can't miss these tips: (note there is no introduction from me, but it will have the URL of your post which should help people find out more about your content) There are many ways on sighting your Turkey gun with red dot scopes: We can rule out the laser bore sight and the laser beam dot sight. For they are cheap and tend to work very poorly in the field. Undoing the screws that hold your Turkey gun's receiver in place, is all it takes to set up a Rifle Rest, so that you may sight in your Turkey gun with Red Dot easily.

https://rangefindereviews.com/crossbow-scope-with-built-in-rangefinders/ :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :walk:

Sighting the turkey gun with a red dot is not that hard to do. If you know what you are doing, sight in the red dot scope by sighting it in at 25 yards. Then go to 30 yards, then go to 35 yards, and finally go to 40 yards. Go by the book and you will ensure your shotgun is zeroed for turkey hunting. For the pheasant hunting beginners sight in a shotgun is one of the most important parts. Some new hunter is confused about how to sight in the shotgun for pheasant hunting and doesn't know what kind of steps to take for sighting and find red dot is hard to buy or where to buy, but don't have time to know about a shotgun, then you have no idea which things you should look for in a shotgun and other stuff.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Here's how I do it. It doesn't involve counting clicks but requires securing the gun firmly after the first shot at a quarter sized black disk made on paper with a low brass lead load at 20 yards.
Note the center mass of the pattern after shooting and draw another quarter size disc at center mass. With the red dot aimed at the original aim point and with the gun firmly secured in a lead sled or workmate so the barrel can't move, the next step is to match the red dot with the center mass of the pattern which simply put is where the barrel was pointed when the trigger was pulled and the red dot on the point of aim. I do it by myself or with the aid of another to twist the screw driver. I tell my help to start turning the windage/elevation screw until I tell them to stop. After a few twists of the screw driver, I tell them to continue in the same direction or reverse in the other. By doing it this way without calculating clicks, I avoid getting it bassackwards of moving the red dot away from center of the pattern. I set the target at 40 yards, shoot with my TSS load and repeat what I did with at 20 yards if necessary. Last week we zeroed Billy's .410 and didn't have to alter settings after shooting at 20 yards. YMMV. I typically don't do a confirming shot. Bear in mind that the center density will move somewhat and one can end up like a dog chasing its tail by thinking you can get an exact overlay of patterns. Use just enough pressure on the screw to turn it in the desirable direction. Once you get 40 yards squared away, return the target to 20 yards with a fresh target and shoot with the common dove load. Take a photo on your cell phone. You can check zero during the course of the season by using the lead load at 20 yards. If the resulting shot gives the same pattern at point of aim on your phone, 40 will be good for the TSS load. Gil
joey46

Post by joey46 »

VT_hunter wrote: May 7th, 2021, 11:08 am If you have a modified or more open choke, I've shot a slug and adjusted POA/POI with that. Easy to tell where it hits. Make sure you're gun/choke can handle slugs before shooting
Have used this method in both my 870 12ga and 301.410. Have a straight cylinder choke for the 870 and an improved cylinder for .410. You think other ammo is tough to find look for .410 slugs. Had some for the 12ga left over from Ohio deer hunts/FL hog. Finally found .410 slugs on line. Luckily only took two to get super close and only one at 30 to then verify zero on the .410's new Sig Romeo 5 last year. Switching over to the turkey chokes and firing the TSS turkey loads did not change POI on either of my guns. Btw the 870 has a 4x scope and is mostly now a hog gun but the system works fine when switching out the 870's cyl choke to a turkey choke. What did we do before replaceable chokes? Obviously NO slugs through a turkey choke. :violent1:
2flyfish4

Post by 2flyfish4 »

Get ya one of these, it will save you time and shells.

patternfreak

Post by patternfreak »

My tip, for every click you think it needs to move, move it 3. I'll shoot a pattern and think "man I need to move that up a click"

Move it up a click and nothing changes. Really takes 3 or 4 clicks to see any change

Return to “Gun Talk”