Tips on Sighting in Turkey Gun with Red Dot?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
MS2

Tips on Sighting in Turkey Gun with Red Dot?

Post by MS2 » May 4th, 2021, 4:36 pm

I have a new Benelli M2 20ga. with a Leupold red dot. Before I start patterning with different loads and choke combos, I need to zero in the red dot. Obviously don't want to start blowing my TSS handloads just to get the windage and elevation right. Someone suggested using dove loads for that purpose. Any tips on doing this?

paboxcall

Re: Tips on Sighting in Turkey Gun with Red Dot?

Post by paboxcall » May 4th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Use the field loads and start with a large target at 20 yards. I put the shotgun in a solid gun rest, and fire the first one. With the solid rest and red dot on my initial aim point, and not touching the gun at all, walk the red dot to the center of the pattern. Load another field load and verify.

That should put you super close with your TSS loads at 40. Different chokes will shift the pattern center a bit but nothing major unless your barrel threads weren't machined correctly of the choke wasn't machined correctly.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat."
Jim Spencer

hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hoobilly » May 5th, 2021, 10:06 pm

To add to what Paboxcall said..

Adjust the bead dead center over the barrel and about a 1/2 above the vent rib or bead. Then start shooting the cheap stuff to see how close
“Ego is the anesthesia to dull the pain of stupidity”
Spoken by someone smarter than I

VT_hunter

Post by VT_hunter » May 7th, 2021, 11:08 am

If you have a modified or more open choke, I've shot a slug and adjusted POA/POI with that. Easy to tell where it hits. Make sure you're gun/choke can handle slugs before shooting

youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors » May 7th, 2021, 10:23 pm

I have rifle sights on my turkey gun WITH the a red dot sight also. IF my battery goes dead I can still see the rifle sights through the bottom of the scope. You can check to see if they are both have the same point of aim easily too.

God Bless, Louis

maddog3355

Post by maddog3355 » May 9th, 2021, 1:05 pm

When sighting in a shotgun you need to take into consideration that it shoots like a bad grouping rifle so in all fairness you need to shoot multiple times. If you really want to sight it in good you will need to shoot multiple times at a target until you blow a hole, that hole is your average shot. I know this will cost more money than most want to spend but that is how to correctly sight in a shotgun.

stillc

Post by stillc » May 31st, 2021, 1:13 am

youngoutdoors wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:23 pm
I have rifle sights on my turkey gun WITH the a red dot sight also. IF my battery goes dead I can still see the rifle sights through the bottom of the scope. You can check to see if they are both have the same point of aim easily too.

God Bless, Louis
What scope do you have? Because I got an Athlon Optics Argos BTR Gen II 6-24x50mm, and it isn't really helpful when the battery is dead

youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors » June 8th, 2021, 10:12 pm

Sorry for the slow reply. Just saw this message this evening. I have a Truglo red dot sight on my turkey gun. I mounted sights off an old 700 on the rib and they are just high enough to see through the scope too. Don't think you will be able to see sight through that scope though.

God Bless, Louis

sasquatch

Post by sasquatch » June 8th, 2021, 10:28 pm

I start really close to where I shoot holes in the target. Like 15’

Every times that’s all I’ve needed to do and it took the guessing the best pattern part out the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “General Gun Talk”