Tips on Sighting in Turkey Gun with Red Dot?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
MS2

Tips on Sighting in Turkey Gun with Red Dot?

Post by MS2 »

I have a new Benelli M2 20ga. with a Leupold red dot. Before I start patterning with different loads and choke combos, I need to zero in the red dot. Obviously don't want to start blowing my TSS handloads just to get the windage and elevation right. Someone suggested using dove loads for that purpose. Any tips on doing this?
Trustyrusty

Re: Tips on Sighting in Turkey Gun with Red Dot?

Post by Trustyrusty »

Start at about 15ft with #7-1/2 and sight it in to where you hit around 6 in. below the target center. Step off to 20 yards and shoot another #7- 1/2 to check windage then roll a tss at 40.

I built a shot trap and it's the greatest thing I've done since switching to shooting tss.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

And after that, I would also shoot a TSS round at close range to make sure it's spot on.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

At 40 yards with TSS, don't be like a dog chasing its tail. You can't expect to overlay the exact pattern each time.
My routine is to shoot a dove load at 20 steps. I then mark the center of the pattern. After aiming the gun at the original bull's eye without touching the adjustments, secure gun tightly in a Caldwell's lead sled or equivalent ( I once used a Workmate). Without moving the gun, adjust the dot for windage and elevation until it is on the center of the pattern. Repeat at 40 yards with TSS. Some test fire another round after adjustment. I don't usually do so; I trust the procedure. Don't count clicks. It is far easier to visualize where the dot is moving rather than risk adjusting in the wrong direction by counting clicks. Been there, done that. The above procedure is easier with two folks. One sighting, the other adjusting with input from the other. Gil
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

GLS wrote: May 5th, 2021, 3:39 am At 40 yards with TSS, don't be like a dog chasing its tail. You can't expect to overlay the exact pattern each time.
My routine is to shoot a dove load at 20 steps. I then mark the center of the pattern. After aiming the gun at the original bull's eye without touching the adjustments, secure gun tightly in a Caldwell's lead sled or equivalent ( I once used a Workmate). Without moving the gun, adjust the dot for windage and elevation until it is on the center of the pattern. Repeat at 40 yards with TSS. Some test fire another round after adjustment. I don't usually do so; I trust the procedure. Don't count clicks. It is far easier to visualize where the dot is moving rather than risk adjusting in the wrong direction by counting clicks. Been there, done that. The above procedure is easier with two folks. One sighting, the other adjusting with input from the other. Gil
This :thumbup:
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

After zeroing with TSS, set target at 20 yards. With a dove load, one that will always be available, shoot at a bull's eye with enough paper to contain the pattern. Take a photo of it with your phone and save the photo. During the course of the season, test fire at 20 yards with the same dove load. If it is similar to the photo, you are still on zero at 40 with TSS. Gil
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

GLS wrote: May 5th, 2021, 10:59 am After zeroing with TSS, set target at 20 yards. With a dove load, one that will always be available, shoot at a bull's eye with enough paper to contain the pattern. Take a photo of it with your phone and save the photo. During the course of the season, test fire at 20 yards with the same dove load. If it is similar to the photo, you are still on zero at 40 with TSS. Gil
Great info Gil, thanks!!!
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER

Return to “Gun Talk”