why a semi ?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
-DIRTNAP-

why a semi ?

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

always was curious as to why it seems most guys want a semi auto for turkeys. in my hunts i usually dont need a second shot and if i did that second shot seems more like a poke and hope. curious why semi seems to be the go to choice...?
huntinsomd

Re: why a semi ?

Post by huntinsomd »

Recoil reduction and quick second shot if needed.
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

does the benelli system save recoil...?
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

The Benellis use recoil to operate the bolt/eject the shell. I'm sure some of the recoil is used/lost and not transferred to the shooter. I have a couple M2 20's and I would say they don't kick as hard as a pump or single shot, but they probably kick more than a gas operated auto of the same weight.
Chrmayo

Post by Chrmayo »

Most of your pumps seem to have some forend rattle as well. You don’t get that from semi.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

I use pumps for turkey almost exclusively and some times singles. I like being able pop up and run after the shot if need be. I guess I like being in control of when the next live round is chambered. I have never felt handicapped without a auto reload.

I use semi autos for basically everything else and have been entertaining the thought of getting a dedicated turkey semi auto, but in all reality that's just because I want a new gun. Not out of necessity.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

jsh909 wrote: April 25th, 2021, 1:58 pm I guess I like being in control of when the next live round is chambered. I have never felt handicapped without a auto reload.
Interested to hear opinions, because that's why I don't. Never compelled to own an auto for anything except a handgun. All pumps and singles here, prefer their simplicity.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.

Post by 935 »

I received a Winchester Super X Model 1 for Christmas when I was 14. Been a semi-auto fan ever since. With proper cleaning and maintenance just as reliable as any other. Just my opinion of course. To each his own.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I like a semi auto, I basically bought one for turkey in a 20ga because it's light. Would ultimately like a nice sxs for turkey but seems to be too many problems with both barrels shooting on.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I thought about buying a Mossberg 9200 years ago. A friend had one and it shot really good. He said it was a little better on recoil too.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

If an M2 came in a pump (not a Nova), I'd buy one of those, too.

Return to “Gun Talk”