410 Tristar Advice

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
BeardBuster

410 Tristar Advice

Post by BeardBuster »

Need some advice on what I can do to improve my Tristar G2 patterns. I’m getting decent numbers but not as good as what I often see posted here.
Also seems to be variable. I am running a dry bore snake between shots.
Should I try a IC 385 or 390?
Thanks

Tristar Viper G2 410
7/8 oz handloads 9.5s
IC#1 380 - 187
IC#2 380 - 149
IC#3 380 - 163
IC Avg - 166

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wchadw

Re: 410 Tristar Advice

Post by wchadw »

I’m getting 185 avg with jebs xfull and about that with Sumtoy
Don’t think you are going to get too much better than 190
Range. I tried jebs Sumtoy cnc factory choke. Factory choke was awful

wchadw

Post by wchadw »

wchadw wrote:I’m getting 185 avg with jebs xfull and about that with Sumtoy
Don’t think you are going to get too much better than 190
Range. I tried jebs Sumtoy cnc factory choke. Factory choke was awful

Might also drop to 1oz of 10s. If you don’t hand load foxtrox sells
I hand load 1oz 10s and get 195 range with the jebs

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

Pattern sounds really good. If you don’t mind me asking, is there a hole in the pattern or are you looking for more consistent?
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

Jstocks wrote:Pattern sounds really good. If you don’t mind me asking, is there a hole in the pattern or are you looking for more consistent?
Pattern does not appear to be “blown”. No obvious holes like it’s “over choked”. I would like it to be a little more consistent and I would also like to increase my numbers.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

How many oz load? I’ve only seen others patterns and not sure if they polished their barrels or not. But have seen 190-220 in the 10 with the 380 Indiancreek and my foxtrot 383 strokers 9.5’s. (7/8oz)
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

166? I’d hunt it!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

hoobilly wrote:How many oz load? I’ve only seen others patterns and not sure if they polished their barrels or not. But have seen 190-220 in the 10 with the 380 Indiancreek and my foxtrot 383 strokers 9.5’s. (7/8oz)
My handloads are 7/8 oz 9.5s. I’d like improve my numbers closer to that 200 mark. Just don’t know if it’s worth trying a more open choke or not. My
experience with my other guns would tell me I need to go a little tighter but I don’t think IC makes anything tighter than 380...isn’t that correct?

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I helped test 410 chokes with Indiancreek. We found that 380 was really tight.

The biggest thing about 410’s is that different loads want a different choke. I’ve found a 7/8 load in my invector guns wants more open while the duplex or heavier load wants it tighter.

But I’ve sold a lot of the 7/8 9.5’s and the 380 from what I’ve seen in the Mobil does best.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

410 Tristar Advice

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

I have the same gun and run the 380..Will do 200 plus..the highest I have done was 218..A wise man once told me you gotta keep the 410s super clean and that’s what I do.Every time i fire a shot threw it the barrel comes off and gets scrubbed clean then swapped with alcohol..bore snake is a joke IMO

So far I gotta say that man knew what he was talking about....he claimed to have done lots of 410 testing haha

Another thing was I ran the 383 stroker load 9.5s...after season last year I gathered the stuff up to load my own 410 shells,loaded some up 3/4 different recipes and was so let down I just put stuff away and figured I’d deal with it later...which will be in the next few weeks.

So with that being said not all loads are created equally...if I was in your shoes I’d order up a box of foxtrot and clean that barrel then see what happens.

I don’t know where your located at either but it’s way way to cold here to be trying to pattern a turkey shotgun and expect great result

The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

WV Ridge Reaper wrote:I have the same gun and run the 380..Will do 200 plus..the highest I have done was 218..A wise man once told me you gotta keep the 410s super clean and that’s what I do.Every time i fire a shot threw it the barrel comes off and gets scrubbed clean then swapped with alcohol..bore snake is a joke IMO

So far I gotta say that man knew what he was talking about....he claimed to have done lots of 410 testing haha

Another thing was I ran the 383 stroker load 9.5s...after season last year I gathered the stuff up to load my own 410 shells,loaded some up 3/4 different recipes and was so let down I just put stuff away and figured I’d deal with it later...which will be in the next few weeks.

So with that being said not all loads are created equally...if I was in your shoes I’d order up a box of foxtrot and clean that barrel then see what happens.

I don’t know where your located at either but it’s way way to cold here to be trying to pattern a turkey shotgun and expect great result

Thanks for the info. I give my gun a thorough cleaning each spring and then after that the barrel never comes off until next year. Don’t want my POI to change which I’ve seen happen with some of my guns. No doubt the load recipe is likely where I need to focus. I’ll be doing some of that in February. Thanks again.

Return to “Gun Talk”