Franchi Affinity 20 gauge

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Grayling

Franchi Affinity 20 gauge

Post by Grayling »

Recently bought an Elite, any recommendations on chokes with loads used, or scope bases? I see midway sells a $15 base and from what I've read may need the screws shortened, has anyone tried one? I know the short bases are popular but have no interest in drilling more holes if that would be required.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Jstocks

Re: Franchi Affinity 20 gauge

Post by Jstocks »

Depends on the optic. If a red dot, use a low profile sumtoy Mount.

If using hand loaded tss, I like a .582 Undertaker with 1 5/8 oz loads.

It tried the a lot of tighter chokes....they are fun on paper... not so much when turkeys are missed.
Grayling

Post by Grayling »

I have a vortex venom that will be used. Does the sumtoy mount using the existing 2 rear holes? Rough price on one?

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

They have a website with prices, but I can’t remember the cost exactly.

They make the mount specific to the gun, so the holes line up.
Grayling

Post by Grayling »

Good to know thank you!

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

EGW base is what you’ll want! Check on her for the GN promocode which gives you basically free shipping. The EGW won’t loosen up ever. GN also has the Burris FF3 Promocode. Those will be back in stock in August
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

As far as chokes go, Indiancreek is where it’s at. 555 for a excellent pattern and a 562 for a more open pattern

Check out Foxtrotammo

I have a new load coming that I haven’t uploaded for sale yet online.

Grayling

Post by Grayling »

I'll probably buy a few chokes and sell the losers so thanks for the suggestions. What are the specs of the new load. I'd be also interested in a softer 2 3/4 load for the kids.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Grayling wrote: July 8th, 2020, 2:19 pm I'll probably buy a few chokes and sell the losers so thanks for the suggestions. What are the specs of the new load. I'd be also interested in a softer 2 3/4 load for the kids.

I have a waterfowl 7/8 load that many are using for a youth load in the 20. Shoots excellent.
The HotRod 1-3/8 I can lower recoil by reducing the powder charge and it also works as a youth.

Have a 1.5oz coming that is smoking

Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I can vouch for the Hot Rod load with reduced recoil and the affinity.

With that load, my daughter shoots the reduced recoil and 9.5’s.
She shoots a primos tightwad choke which I believe is a .570 restriction.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

FYI....
Switching chokes and loads has potential to seriously alter poi/poa
Grayling

Post by Grayling »

I'll pick up one of the tightwad chokes to try, thanks for the suggestion. Noted on the poi changes, if I try different loads I'll keep notes.
My wife took a bird this spring with the 410
, while it worked great, all of the #9's in the breast required extremely thin slicing to prevent trips to the dentist. I'm leaning towards the tightest pattern for personal use and a more open one for the kids.

Gmed

Post by Gmed »

I have an Elite in the Cobalt Timber color. I mounted a Weaver #48339 base. It is multi-slot so you can position your red dot forward or back on the rails and is a very low base. They are matte finish and less than $17.00. I had to file the front base screws just slightly but rear screws were good. I got great patterns at just under 40 using Federal TSS #9 factory and either a Jebs .570 or Indian Creek .570.
Grayling

Post by Grayling »

I'll probably go with the Weaver, a little filling is not a big deal. Like that timber cobalt combo. I bought whatever was available other than black and that was bronze optifade. Hadn't really considered franchi guns and was looking for an m2. I felt the balance of the affinity was better suited for wing shooting for me. It's a really solid, well designed little gun.

Grayling

Post by Grayling »

Anyone using theirs for waterfowl? Loads and choke suggestions appreciated. If I load tss I'll try a few for geese, otherwise I'd stick to steel or more moderately priced ammo.Image

Grayling

Post by Grayling »

Picked up a carlson 555 and 565 but havent purchased any tss yet. Did take the gun to shoot skeet and trap. The 565 worked great on trap with several dust clouds and broke 22 my first go in 20 some years. My wife did quite well using the modified choke especially considering it was her first time shooting moving targets. She strung together 7 consecutive hits including a hard left on the 1st position, I was impressed. I bet she will probably break 20+ next time.

Gmed

Post by Gmed »

I bit the bullet and tried a Jebs Nitride .575 in mine with Federal TSS #9s. Best pattern yet....even, and plenty dense for hunting....
Grayling

Post by Grayling »

Gmed wrote:I bit the bullet and tried a Jebs Nitride .575 in mine with Federal TSS #9s. Best pattern yet....even, and plenty dense for hunting....
Thanks for the suggestion, how many pellets in the 10" at 40 are you getting? I'll try a shot with the 2 I have, evaluate, and then probably spend more money- ha!
Next up is a mossberg sa-28 youth for my 10 year old if I can find one. Want to get him started on trap shooting this year.

Gmed

Post by Gmed »

The .575 put 280 in the 10” and 250 in 20”. Even pattern near and far....
Grayling

Post by Grayling »

Gmed wrote:The .575 put 280 in the 10” and 250 in 20”. Even pattern near and far....
280 would work, I'll have to pick up a few boxes soon and start testing. I have an occasional goose roost that I'll do the final testing on later this fall. I'm not into swatting but will in the pursuit of science.

KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

If it were me and the hole spacing is correct I would (and did) use the Burris 336 base. It's the lowest base I've seen. I went the Weaver route and it was just too high so I went with the Burris
Burris
Burris
Attachments
Weaver
Weaver
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
Grayling

Post by Grayling »

KyKRAZEE wrote:If it were me and the hole spacing is correct I would (and did) use the Burris 336 base. It's the lowest base I've seen. I went the Weaver route and it was just too high so I went with the Burris
20200523_212504.jpg
Yes, they dont advertise compatibility with an affinity so no interest here.

Return to “Gun Talk”