FrogLube Issues **UPDATED**

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

FrogLube Issues **UPDATED**

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Well, this is a little embarrassing and I'll try to keep it short. I've been using FrogLube for several years on my service weapons, off duty, muzzleloader and rifles. This was on the recommendation of my step-son. I really haven't had any issues until the other day. My wife and I were at the shooting range mainly for her to practice with her pistol. I wasn't going to shoot, but decided to run a few rounds through my off duty pistol (Glock 43 (9mm). She has the same gun, but her's was new. I gave her my gun and she pulled the trigger and "CLICK". I thought, ok, she did something wrong. I racked another round in it and "CLICK". Oh snap....I took the slide off and barrel out and it was kinda a mess. There was gunk in it, lint and whatever else. The FrogLube was thick and gummy and appeared to attract everything. I took a solvent to it and BAMM, it started shooting fine....well, for about 20 rounds then "CLICK". I put it away and last night (thank goodness for YouTube), I took it all apart and cleaned it all up and put it back together. I hope to slip out to the range and do some shooting to see if the problem is fixed.

So I totally understand that this could have possibly been avoided by me if I would have taken my gun apart maybe monthly and wiped down inside, but I really never thought about it. I have been carrying a pistol for over 30 years and lint, etc., does get on the hammer and other exposed areas while in your duty holster or even in my off duty holster. I have never had a weapon not function due to this buildup of lube and the thickness of it. I realize this is probably ignorant on my part and if something would have happened and I needed it all I would have heard is "CLICK". This actually could have been a life or death situation, that's why I wanted to get this information out to you guys. My step-son hasn't used it in a couple of years (of course he failed to convey that to me) for the gumming up purposes. Apparently it doesn't do well with weather changes.

I hate to put out bad reviews on products, but I know all of you on here rely on your weapons to function properly as do I. I text Hoobilly and he contacted Sloppy Snood and they recommended WEAPON SHIELD products. I went on Amazon and ordered some. Like I said, I totally disassembled my Glock last night and put it back together with WEAPON SHIELD. I have the utmost respect for Hoo and Sloppy and know they wouldn't steer me wrong.

Thanks for listening and check those pistols!

Kevin

Well I grabbed 3 different types of ammo and went to the range. I ran two magazines of each ammo through the gun and it worked flawlessly. Looks like ole' FrogLube has bit the dust!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
msu33

Re: FrogLube Issues

Post by msu33 »

I had similar experience with Fireclean years ago. Now I use TW25B, by the recommendation of a member of the special forces community. So far so good. Its a grease, but it stays put and lasts. I use it on everything from bolt actions to AK's. A little bit goes a LOOOOONG way.
Elmerfudd

Re: FrogLube Issues **UPDATED**

Post by Elmerfudd »

Froglube is just plain bad news. Hate to "dis" a product but it does gum up in storage and will actually discolor some metal treatments. Ive tried a bunch of lubes over the years from FP-10 (froze up on me in cold weather and cost me a really nice buck) to straight mobil 1 engine oil. Last few years Ive been using TriFlow and Clenzoil and so far so good on handguns, shotguns etc. Triflow is a lube, Clenzoil is like a CLP type product and seems to be a really good rust preventative. For anything needing grease I have a tub of Lubriplate SFL-O which stays where you put it and is very thin. I know a lot of faith is put in the military community recommendations, special forces etc. I fully understand that but then there is a retired veteran friend of mine who said that in Iraq and Afghanistan (he did 4 tours) they all carried around cans of WD-40 and just kept the BCGs in their rifles wet with that and they ran fine. Wd-40 is hardly milspec, is a terrible lube and pretty crappy against corrosion as well. I assume they just used it to hose the sand out of the way and as long as it hasnt evaporated provided enough lube to let the gun run.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Best off leaving the frog lube for the gay frog community! :shock: RRibbit!!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
msu33

Post by msu33 »

Elmerfudd wrote: February 27th, 2020, 12:12 pm Froglube is just plain bad news. Hate to "dis" a product but it does gum up in storage and will actually discolor some metal treatments. Ive tried a bunch of lubes over the years from FP-10 (froze up on me in cold weather and cost me a really nice buck) to straight mobil 1 engine oil. Last few years Ive been using TriFlow and Clenzoil and so far so good on handguns, shotguns etc. Triflow is a lube, Clenzoil is like a CLP type product and seems to be a really good rust preventative. For anything needing grease I have a tub of Lubriplate SFL-O which stays where you put it and is very thin. I know a lot of faith is put in the military community recommendations, special forces etc. I fully understand that but then there is a retired veteran friend of mine who said that in Iraq and Afghanistan (he did 4 tours) they all carried around cans of WD-40 and just kept the BCGs in their rifles wet with that and they ran fine. Wd-40 is hardly milspec, is a terrible lube and pretty crappy against corrosion as well. I assume they just used it to hose the sand out of the way and as long as it hasnt evaporated provided enough lube to let the gun run.
Ha ha! I understand. There are lots of folks with experiences and opinions. I will say this though..on my brother in laws recommendation I started using Tw25B in a suppressed rifle that would just not run beyond a few rounds. CLP was cooking out of it and I would get failures. Cleaned it up and used TW25B...ran like a sewing machine. Sig Sauer puts a couple sample packets of Tw25B in the box with all their pistols they sell, or atleast they did with the Mk25 i bought. Its good stuff. I asked my brother in law what firearms i should use it on, he said "everything...hell I even brush my teeth with it"....

I use it on everything now. No issues yet, been using it for a few years.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I read somewhere that Froglube is marketed by an ex Navy Seal. Hence the “Frog” in Froglube.
Just some useless trivia from the Hog..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Elmerfudd

Post by Elmerfudd »

Yep, bring up gun lubes and there will be a million opinions. Ive not tried the TW25B product, Im sure its fine as that is a demanding application for sure. Unbelievable amount of marketing fluff and BS out there on the subject. I bought an aftermarket AR trigger some years back and it actually came with a tube of Frog Lube. Just shook my head.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I totally get that everyone has their favorite and what works for them. I watched a video on Weapon Shield and they administered a friction test. It did great compared to Lucas Oil Gun Oil. I'm not trying to get into a debate over gun oil. All I know if it's Sloppy Snood approved then that's good enough for me. He would not steer anyone wrong on any of these forums. I just don't want someone to experience the "CLICK" like I did.

Thanks Guys,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Well just reading this post camo man. I’ve been on gun cleaning spree for 2 nights after work. Cleaned 6 guns so far. All auto’s. Pistols shotguns. Thanks for the incentive to do that. Mine were really dirty. Which when I was cleaning them I used WD-40. Then blowed all parts out with air compressor. Cleaned up good. Put a little rem oil on parts that I thought needed it. Not much at all. Did I say not much lube oil at all. Lube attracts dust and gunk.
Everybody has there own thing they do and I get it. People are against WD-40 but I’ve been doing it for years on mine and hey my dad did it when I was a kid and prolly still does on all his. Haven’t asked him in years if he still does or not but I remember him using it when cleaning all guns when I was kid. I use it more as a cleaning solvent instead of a lube and helps against rust to. Never had a problem as long as the guns are clean.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Outdoorsmen

Post by Outdoorsmen »

I also highly recommend Weaponshield. I use the oil and grease.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

My agency went to Lucas gun products. Seems to work great.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

OLE RASPY wrote: February 27th, 2020, 8:22 pm Well just reading this post camo man. I’ve been on gun cleaning spree for 2 nights after work. Cleaned 6 guns so far. All auto’s. Pistols shotguns. Thanks for the incentive to do that. Mine were really dirty. Which when I was cleaning them I used WD-40. Then blowed all parts out with air compressor. Cleaned up good. Put a little rem oil on parts that I thought needed it. Not much at all. Did I say not much lube oil at all. Lube attracts dust and gunk.
Everybody has there own thing they do and I get it. People are against WD-40 but I’ve been doing it for years on mine and hey my dad did it when I was a kid and prolly still does on all his. Haven’t asked him in years if he still does or not but I remember him using it when cleaning all guns when I was kid. I use it more as a cleaning solvent instead of a lube and helps against rust to. Never had a problem as long as the guns are clean.
Same here :thumbup:
Love the WD w/silicone :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Gun Talk”