Cut/re-thread barrel cost?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Cut/re-thread barrel cost?

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I’m thinking hard about picking up a Yildiz o/u 20. They come with 28” barrels and have a fairly uncommon thread pattern (my understanding at least). For a turkey gun I would rather have a 25-26” barrel. Toying with the idea of having one cut down and threaded with a more common thread pattern. Anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost me?

I could also get the youth version of the gun that comes with 26” barrels, but it’s $50 more expensive right now and LOP is shorter than I’d like.

Suggestions welcome.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
firedup

Re: Cut/re-thread barrel cost?

Post by firedup »

I paid abit over $100 to have my 20 cut down and threaded. I chose to have it done by a professional fulltime gunsmith tho. I think there are those out there who can beat that price. But I am thinking that for $50 for the right gun and add a spacer for the LOP might be the lowest cost option. HINT: Do your research on choke style and manufacture. I choose winchoke because there are so many choke options and it is a common bore diameter. If your gunsmith has to go buy a new bore for some special manufacture you want, you will probably end up paying for it. The other issue is that there has to be enuff meat left in the barrel after cutting to bore and thread. A lot of smaller calibers are pretty thin already up front.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

CompnChoke said $100 and a 2 week turn around time
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

CompnChoke said $100 and a 2 week turn around time
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Compared with an auto or pump, you have the equivalent overall gun length of a 25" barrel of either with your O/U. You're getting ready to fix something that ain't broke. Gil
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

I got the youth and got a limbsaver. It helped with lop and recoil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

I got the youth and got a limbsaver. It helped with lop and recoil

Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

wchadw wrote: February 29th, 2020, 11:24 am I got the youth and got a limbsaver. It helped with lop and recoil

I did the same. Once I figured that their “youth” model was only 3/4” shorter in LOP I realized it was a nonissue. I ordered a Kick EEZ grind-to-fit pad. So I’ll replace to original 1/2” butt pad with one that’s 1 3/8”. So it will actually be a touch longer than the adult version.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
aeasley10

Post by aeasley10 »

I am considering buying a Tristar 410 SA, but I would like to cut the 24-26” barrel down to 21-22”. Anyone experience or know of pattern changes going to shorter barrel?

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

GLS wrote: February 5th, 2020, 11:43 am Compared with an auto or pump, you have the equivalent overall gun length of a 25" barrel of either with your O/U. You're getting ready to fix something that ain't broke. Gil
Amen!

Return to “Gun Talk”