Hearing Protection

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
dsunday

Hearing Protection

Post by dsunday »

Any recommendations on hearing protection that allows you to still listen while hunting, like Walkers Game Ear?
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
MeadowCreekMounts

Re: Hearing Protection

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

I wear the Howard Leight Muffs, they do a great job.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I have been using the same pair of walkers hearing aids for over 1 years. I really need a new set..

for what I paid for them you can't beat them. There are more expensive and better hunting type hearing aids out there.

I might get one more season out of these and then start looking hard for replacements.

these aren't muffs and they fit over the ear like traditional hearing aids. I paid 175 each in the Cabelas bargain basement for them. they were a lot more than that for msrp
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hal4son

Post by Hal4son »

I've tried Walkers, Pelters and Howard Leight muffs. I can't tell you which model of H-W muffs I had because I returned them in short order. I currently have both the Peltor Tactical 6-S and the Walkers Game Ear Alpha 360. The Peltor muffs are of better quality and they handle muzzle blast suppression better. The Peltor Tactical 6-S would be replaced tomorrow with a like pair should they fail. The only negative is that the switch gets turned on accidentally routinely if they are not kept in a case when not in use.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I will say I started with the muffs. Hated them for hunting. Bench shooting was ok. When I bought the first walker ear piece I found I couldn’t tell direction of the gobble. With both ears I could pinpoint it pretty quickly and get ready
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I have an old set of the Walkers Ear Muffs. They are ok, got tired of the tweety birds chirping all the time. I have a pair of Walker's Game Ear Razor Series Slim Electronic Shooting Earmuffs that I use mainly for the range. I do hook them on my backpack when I'm hunting. I put them on and depending on where I'm hunting I may keep them on with the volume up or just put them on above my ears and prior to shooting I slide them down. I mainly take muffs for hearing protection. These new ones are slimmer and fold up nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Electron ... 765&sr=8-4
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Thank you all. My ears are ringing after 2 good days of goose hunting. Need to do something
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

I use pro ears predator gold. I agree that is a pain to get used to wearing them, but at the end of the day you’re trading the convenience of not protecting your ears for, well, protectiong your ears. Every time you pull the trigger on a gun you’re doing irreparable damage to your ears. Every. Time. Not only that, the damage is worse when you have “shooting days” close together.

One day I will trade in the ear muffs for more expensive inserts but not now. As it is, I don’t wear them the whole hunt. I just slip them on when things get serious. It hasn’t cost me any game yet and I’m thankful for the hundred or so “shooting days” I have spared my ears

Return to “Gun Talk”