HELP Please!!!! Osceola hunting ??????????????????

The official Grand Slam discussion area.
buckslayer70

HELP Please!!!! Osceola hunting ??????????????????

Post by buckslayer70 »

So heres the deal. I've got what you might call a last minute trip to (southern part)Florida coming up, and had the thought of trying to squeeze in a osceola turkey hunt while I'm there. I was considering a DIY public land hunt because I really hate the thoughts of paying $1500 to $2500 for a single bird turkey hunt(which I can't find an outfitter with any openings anyway). Here's my question/concern: Ive heard a few good stories about p.l. hunting and Ive heard a lot of really bad comments about trying to hunt public land as far as people and competition for hunting spots. Ive hunted a lot of public land in my time, but I'm hearing stuff like other hunters cutting you off, coming in on your set and messing up your hunt, and general jerk behavior like that. Is this an accurate description of the situation and I'd be better off waiting and planning a hunt in the future with an outfitter or is the stories I'm hearing exaggerated and need to go on with my DIY plans? Any help and/or comments would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your time and input.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: HELP Please!!!! Osceola hunting ??????????????????

Post by howl »

I got mine on public land down there. It's all the bad stuff you heard and more. Anyone asks me for advice I recommend they just pay the money to buy the bird.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I usually have 7 or 8 spots picked out on the PL I hunt. Lately I haven't been able to beat anyone to any of them. Pay for it. Or start applying to build up pref points and eventually draw some good PL with limited access.
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

Depends on when you're coming down. First 2 weeks I will stay away from PL hunting if I can. But look at where you're going to try and hunt. During the week not near as bad as weekends. Otherwise pay for it with a guide.
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

I hunted Florida Public land once. It was the most pressured/dangerous hunting experience I have ever seen.

I started hunting private Florida land 10 years ago. If it's worth a plane ticket and an out of state license, it's worth the money.
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Public land hunting in my experience is pretty much as you described. You need to go deep to avoid the run ins. I have had guys walk in on my sets and walking through with their flashlights on etc.

If you are doing this as a once in a lifetime hunt then paying the $$$ is probably a better option. If you don't mind chancing getting skunked or don't mind the added pressure then do it.

The Florida woods are freakin awesome and one heck of an adventure.

Good luck!
HuntInWild88

Post by HuntInWild88 »

I did PL in Florida back in 2011 and the two areas I went one had some pressure and little to no birds. The other area we went had no pressure and a lot of birds. But you needed a boat. One thing I know about Florida is do your research!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I would suggest doing a lot of searching the gameland maps and tops maps of the WMA lands you plan on hunting. Plus be the first one in line at the gate to get in. Bring a mountain bike so you can get back way in there. I went in the middle of the season a few years ago. I had a lot of fun. I a lot most got a bird. I will go again. Just research and ask as many folks as you can for help. You will find somebody that will help you. Good Luck.
Mike
jmercmon

Post by jmercmon »

Well I am going to give Florida PL a try this year .... hopefully everyone else reads this dismal post and stays home. I figure first 2 days sat and sun will be a show and during the week I will have to hike it out but less pressure all around.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

jmercmon wrote: January 21st, 2019, 5:41 pm Well I am going to give Florida PL a try this year .... hopefully everyone else reads this dismal post and stays home. I figure first 2 days sat and sun will be a show and during the week I will have to hike it out but less pressure all around.
Good luck buddy. Hope you have a good hunt.
Mike
SD_smith

Post by SD_smith »

Being from South Florida I’d say pay the money and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LINCOR

Post by LINCOR »

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I've been hunting public land down there since 1988, and guiding on private land since 2001. I've had lots of great hunts on public properties, but lots of tough times, as well. Can you kill your bird on public? Of course you can. I do so just about every year. Might it be the best experience of your life? Yes! Might it be the worst? Absolutely! What option would I recommend? Hard to say; I don't know you well enough to say whether you've got what it takes to persevere through what might be the toughest turkey hunting experience of your life. Or, then again, it might be the easiest. This is turkey hunting.....you just never know!

This past spring I had 12 clients. After 8 days of hunting, all of them had killed their birds. That's basically been the way my guided hunts have gone since I started them so many years ago, and I've always offered these hunts on a "no-shot, no-pay" guarantee, simply because I don't feel like I've earned the money if I can't get a bird in front of my client's gun barrel.

Following this quick flurry of successes, I began my own hunting on one of the most heavily pounded pieces of property in Florida....not because of how good the turkey population is, but because it's where I've spent most of my time since 1989, and I think of it as my "home turf." In 16 days, I was able to call in only 2 birds, and killed one. Most days I didn't even hear a bird gobble. It was hot, buggy, and hard on my brain!!!

In my humble opinion, the "typical" difference between public and private is this; private land is much, much easier! Good luck either way you decide to go, but feel free to contact me if you're interested in a private land hunt. Many of our forum members on here have shot Osceolas with me, and I think they will all vouch that it's a blast.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

jmercmon wrote: January 21st, 2019, 5:41 pm Well I am going to give Florida PL a try this year .... hopefully everyone else reads this dismal post and stays home. I figure first 2 days sat and sun will be a show and during the week I will have to hike it out but less pressure all around.
How did your Florida WMA hunt go.
Mike
turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

Pay the money PL here in South Florida is brutal in the first part of the season later in April nobody is here.
jmercmon

Post by jmercmon »

I had a good time last year. Only heard one gobble and then a shot 5 minutes later a couple of locals that went about 600-700 yards further down the trial than I did, talked to them on the way out and it was a Jake they killed. Had a few Hens I called in but no Toms or Jakes to be honest I would have plowed a Jake being my first time down. Everyone I ran into was really cool even the local guys, just out hunting same as me.

I’m going again this season but not going so far south, I drew a tag on another area this year so maybe I will have some better luck.
Paulyoung

Post by Paulyoung »

I am now officially humbled by hunting Osceolas on public land. They are without a doubt the toughest turkey hunts I have ever done. Lots of pressure, few birds and 50,000 acres for them to roam around in have made me feel like I'm searching for the Holy Grail. I see lots of birds on private land while riding my bike on the Van Fleet trail. If I stop and call to them, I never fail to get a positive reaction from them. These birds are hanging out on the edges of ranch pastures. The WMA I have been hunting is dense forest with vast areas of chest high Palmetto, which is the noisiest stuff I have ever traversed. I also don't like it because I can't see where I'm stepping. I try to stay on trails and fire roads as much as possible. Definitely no pastures, and damn few areas open enough to even set up a kill zone.

So far, I have succeeded in getting ONE bird to answer up. He came towards me a bit, but then faded off into the distance. Total encounter was one limb gobble, one answer after fly down and then the 'talk to you later' faint gobble about 30 minutes after fly down.

I have killed a bunch of birds when I lived in the Northeast, but these Florida birds on public land, are absolute ghosts. I have a hunt or two left in me, but I'm not very confident. Trying to stay positive, LOL!

I wish they would confiscate all owl hooters at the gate. Those birds KNOW they are fake, and it just puts them on high alert every morning. -Paul
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Nothing more realistic than hearing tires rolling on a dirt road, stop and turn motor off, open door (not quietly), owl hoot, hoot again, hit the crow call, hit it again and again, go back to the hoot followed by one more hoot, then cut in a box call, cut again, hoot one more time just in case he didn’t hear you the first 15 times, get in the truck and slam the door, ride 1/4 mile and repeat.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

I believe the stories are true about pressure and rude hunters, but I definitely have not experienced the level of bad experiences others have referenced. Maybe I got lucky. I managed to kill one on public land in March that is supposed to be completely slammed with hunters. I had a few interactions, but worked through them. Good luck to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by 935 »

guesswho wrote: April 11th, 2021, 6:23 pm Nothing more realistic than hearing tires rolling on a dirt road, stop and turn motor off, open door (not quietly), owl hoot, hoot again, hit the crow call, hit it again and again, go back to the hoot followed by one more hoot, then cut in a box call, cut again, hoot one more time just in case he didn’t hear you the first 15 times, get in the truck and slam the door, ride 1/4 mile and repeat.
I was sitting on a hillside in The Black Hills and a pickup came down the road and did just that. It had the name of some so called outfitter on the door. No, not just on the door plastered all over it. I remember thinking "I'm glad I'm not paying for that."
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Not just Fl PL either. Turkeys in my neck of the woods know the difference between real owls/crows and the fakes. I’ve had limited success with the locators so I rarely employ them anymore. Have seen fairly good gobblin birds go quite with a fake but pipe right back up when the vechicle sounds fade......
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Floridafarmer7

Post by Floridafarmer7 »

I’ve got private farms in south central FL. We have openings for those dates.
Attachments
FC7544F2-B185-467F-A916-4A70C3EDB42D.png

Return to “Gobbler Nation Grand Slams”