Bonus hunt

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Swampstalk

Bonus hunt

Post by Swampstalk »

My son and I had not been able to go to our Oklahoma farm for work or hunt in 14 months. Decided to do a marathon drive form South Florida taking lots of replacement tools, mower, stainless cleaning table, etc. As we had been cleaned out by some Meth heads we had some projects to secure the place as well. We only had about 2 1/2 days there so hunting was a premium. We decided to do a quick 2 hour morning hunt with muzzleloaders for deer. Son went to backside of the place and I went to a stand near an old cattail pond with plenty of sign.

Around 7am I hear a shot from my son direction. He shot a nice 8pt about 60 yards that went into a wooded draw. We decided to wait it out and 45 minutes later a coyote pops up where the buck had been hit smelling blood. Son shot him and he spun around and went into woods also. He waited a while and went to track it and found him payed up and killed it. I had a snap shot at a big coyote on the run but miss.

We then followed the buck’s blood trail and found it 50 yards in. Buck and coyote were maybe 60 yards apart!

This was a quick bonus hunt that was a real treat with my great hunting partner son! Then back to work processing the meat and freezing for trip home!
7A69B460-CA13-4D23-99AF-E5D5B6A6D772.jpeg
Attachments
B2546EDC-FC43-4297-B8CD-6C25EDCD71A6.jpeg
Don

Return to “Huntin Tales”