Hoosier Youth Success

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hoosier Youth Success

Post by Hoobilly »

2 day youth weekend. Started out Saturday morning 3+ inches of snow. Had turkeys but they had somewhere else to go. That afternoon my son & daughter went and had a biggn with 4 hens. 2 tons came and didn’t want any more whipping from the boss.

Sunday morning we get close to where they roosted. Set decoys in field 25 yards out and set up in woods edge.

Hens never said a peep. When they flew down they didn’t make a sound. Landed out just last the decoys and slowly fed away. No gobbler. After a half hour I softly hit the warbird boneyard ridge and waited 5 minutes. Then lightly hit some cuts with a half yelp then more cuts. He gobbled. Due to the wind I didn’t hear him. My son pointed. I said how far. He thought 100??? Asked if Violet should spin around the tree. As he was having her move he froze. Then pointed hard left. I knew we boogered that gobbler. Son said it was running to us and 50 yards when it froze and busted exit stage right.
That was it for the morning. Late afternoon I told her let’s roll out and set up for the afternoon. Drove the block so we wouldn’t bump anything going in and she sees the 2 loners looking for love. We parked at the barn and walked down the hill to try and skirt the edge of the woods and get closer. But them jokers came halfway by the time we got down the south end of the woods and they were 400 yards away and already crossed the ditch. So I had her sit down and I grabbed the decoys and crawled out to the field and proceeded to set decoys up. I took the stricter deke and turned him back and forth to mimic a dancing strutted. They kept looking and walking closer when they hit the 250 yard mark I belly crawled back to sit next to my daughter. After glassing them I noticed the one had a good beard. Told her to shoot the bigger bearded gobbler. At 150 yards I lightly cut with some yelps on the blackstone and the Warbird mouth call. Finally they walk closer and she eyeballs the one with the rope and cuts loose. That gobbler became a flopper.

Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hoosier Youth Success

Post by Hoobilly »

vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Congrats ! Awesome Gobbler ! :struttin:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats on a dandy gobbler! It looks like she is one happy hunter!!
Well done!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Congrats to everyone, beautiful bird !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
liv2hnt

Post by liv2hnt »

Congrats!!
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Holy Moly, that's a nice'un! Congrats to your daughter! And to you on successful belly crawlin'!
Don
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Congratulations. I saw you put about 20 lbs in the kill thread so I think I am more impressed with how she is holding it over her head like that if it weighed that.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

davisd9 wrote: April 20th, 2020, 12:09 pm Congratulations. I saw you put about 20 lbs in the kill thread so I think I am more impressed with how she is holding it over her head like that if it weighed that.
She tried once and almost had it up. I told her to lay it down and just grab it up and straight up. Had to take the picture fast!

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Awesome, way to go you two!
PharmHunter

Post by PharmHunter »

Awesome stuff Hoobilly!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Sweet!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Sweet fer' sure Hoobilly :thumbup:

Now come clean and say who really did the callin' :banghead:
I'll place my bet's on yer' daughter, the way she's got the victory celebration pose :stir: :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
BobT

Post by BobT »

That's awesome, congrats to you both!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

soiltester wrote: April 20th, 2020, 8:32 pm Sweet fer' sure Hoobilly :thumbup:

Now come clean and say who really did the callin' :banghead:
I'll place my bet's on yer' daughter, the way she's got the victory celebration pose :stir: :LMAO:
She won’t touch a call. Breaks my heart. Wish she would cause she does everything to her best and I know she would learn it well

Post by 935 »

hoobilly wrote: April 20th, 2020, 1:35 pm
davisd9 wrote: April 20th, 2020, 12:09 pm Congratulations. I saw you put about 20 lbs in the kill thread so I think I am more impressed with how she is holding it over her head like that if it weighed that.
She tried once and almost had it up. I told her to lay it down and just grab it up and straight up. Had to take the picture fast!
We really need a like button.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.

Post by 935 »

hoobilly wrote: April 20th, 2020, 9:39 am 2 day youth weekend. Started out Saturday morning 3+ inches of snow. Had turkeys but they had somewhere else to go. That afternoon my son & daughter went and had a biggn with 4 hens. 2 tons came and didn’t want any more whipping from the boss.

Sunday morning we get close to where they roosted. Set decoys in field 25 yards out and set up in woods edge.

Hens never said a peep. When they flew down they didn’t make a sound. Landed out just last the decoys and slowly fed away. No gobbler. After a half hour I softly hit the warbird boneyard ridge and waited 5 minutes. Then lightly hit some cuts with a half yelp then more cuts. He gobbled. Due to the wind I didn’t hear him. My son pointed. I said how far. He thought 100??? Asked if Violet should spin around the tree. As he was having her move he froze. Then pointed hard left. I knew we boogered that gobbler. Son said it was running to us and 50 yards when it froze and busted exit stage right.
That was it for the morning. Late afternoon I told her let’s roll out and set up for the afternoon. Drove the block so we wouldn’t bump anything going in and she sees the 2 loners looking for love. We parked at the barn and walked down the hill to try and skirt the edge of the woods and get closer. But them jokers came halfway by the time we got down the south end of the woods and they were 400 yards away and already crossed the ditch. So I had her sit down and I grabbed the decoys and crawled out to the field and proceeded to set decoys up. I took the stricter deke and turned him back and forth to mimic a dancing strutted. They kept looking and walking closer when they hit the 250 yard mark I belly crawled back to sit next to my daughter. After glassing them I noticed the one had a good beard. Told her to shoot the bigger bearded gobbler. At 150 yards I lightly cut with some yelps on the blackstone and the Warbird mouth call. Finally they walk closer and she eyeballs the one with the rope and cuts loose. That gobbler became a flopper.

I just love that first picture. Congrats to you both.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.

Return to “Huntin Tales”