Good Weekend

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Good Weekend

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Very little gobbling on the roost opening morning. I started along the edge of a hardwood ridge where several birds were roosted juvy weekend. I gave it an hour, but nothing happening so I eased down the ridge to check out some fields. First one I came to there was a strutter with two hens. Watched them for 30 minutes until the hens eased into the woods and he followed. They were headed into a sandy creek bottom. I had a good angle and a sandy, silent approach so I scurried over and got there first. Just a few soft clucks and he showed up a few minutes later. Broke in my new 20 gauge.

My kids may have been more excited than I was. First turkey pose for my youngest.

Last edited by Southern Sportsman on April 7th, 2020, 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Good Weekend

Sunday I went with a good friend to his place. He hunted with his daughter the day before and couldn’t be very mobile, but there were 4 gobblers using a field edge all day, so that’s where we started. Not a peep. We got up at 7:30 and went searching. Second place we stopped to call we drew a gobble. He was a long ways off through a boggy section of woods. We stood around strategizing for a few minutes then started towards him. Covered 75-80 yards and waited to see if he would gobble on his own. He did. A LOT closer. While we were re-strategizing, he gobbled again and another bird answered him 200-300 yards to our east, and about the same distance north of the first turkey. They were both coming towards a field adjacent to the block of woods we were standing in. A field road runs from that field by the woods block, so we only had one good play. We dropped back 75 yards and set up on the edge of the field road half way down. I let out one series of yelps once we got nestled in, and they both answered. To our delight, it sounded like they had both gotten to the mouth of the road at the same time. A few minutes later I saw two shiny bronze backs working through the grass towards us. They stopped at 30 yards with a briar patch between us and gobbled 2-3 times each, knowing a hen should be right there. A lot could have gone wrong right then, so it was a nerve racking 60 seconds. But there is something about having one - much less two - gobble inside 30 yards that quenches my soul in a way few things can. Finally, they broke and walked 10 more yards into an opening 22 yards from us. My buddy counted it down and we punctuated one of my favorite hunts in a while.

I like people. But 95% of the time I turkey hunt solo by choice. The list of people I genuinely like to turkey hunt with is very, very short. Doubling with one of them on a hunt like this was pretty cool.

I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly

Post by 935 »

Cool deal! Doubling with a buddy is on my list. I hunt alone mostly so it's never happened. Congratulations.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Great goin' and I've only doubled with 3 different buddies and 1 of them twice :thumbup:
Last edited by soiltester on April 7th, 2020, 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Awesome hunts! Doubling is always a special thing.

So which one of them pea shooters is yours? Two fine turkey guns!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Congrats! Looks like a great weekend.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Don't get much better than that
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Awesome birds! Congrats on the double with your buddy. When my son got his gobbler, we had a second one in the open with him, but only one bird on the quota or we could have had our first double!

Love the cheeks on that little one with your first gobbler! Reminds me of one of my granddaughters!
Don
firedup

Post by firedup »

Well Done! Great pics!
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

BrowningGuy88 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 8:05 am So which one of them pea shooters is yours? Two fine turkey guns!
The Yildiz O/U. I’ve wanted a 20 for a few years and finally settled on that one. I’ve got a few kinks left to work out with POA/POI between the two barrels, but I got it plenty serviceable for this year. Once I get it just like I want it I’ll probably have the metal cerekoted. You wouldn’t think 2 lbs would make that much difference, but it’s been an absolute joy carrying around a 6lb gun versus my 8+ lb 12 gauge 870. I’ll be surprised if I ever turkey hunt with a 12 gauge again.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Awesome to share memories like that with friends and family...great job!
wchadw

Post by wchadw »

Southern Sportsman wrote:
BrowningGuy88 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 8:05 am So which one of them pea shooters is yours? Two fine turkey guns!
The Yildiz O/U. I’ve wanted a 20 for a few years and finally settled on that one. I’ve got a few kinks left to work out with POA/POI between the two barrels, but I got it plenty serviceable for this year. Once I get it just like I want it I’ll probably have the metal cerekoted. You wouldn’t think 2 lbs would make that much difference, but it’s been an absolute joy carrying around a 6lb gun versus my 8+ lb 12 gauge 870. I’ll be surprised if I ever turkey hunt with a 12 gauge again.
I love my lil yildiz youth 20. I run a Trijicon triangle which I think works great for an over under. I “pumpkin on a fence” poa for long barrel (I think I get better accuracy) and block out target with triangle for bottom (close) barrel. Other than the awful dip on mine I love it and it patterns/hunts great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Huntin Tales”