Good Hunt this Morning

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Prospector

Good Hunt this Morning

Post by Prospector »

:struttin: So, I’ve fooled with these gobblers several times over the last ten days. Three Longbeards running together: a strutter and his two wingmen ( I call them the silent twins). They don’t stay right on top of each other either. One time I was waiting on the strutter who was gobblin some and seemed to be working my way. Suddenly I saw one of the silent twins stink eying me around a pine just outta range. Woods were too open, he saw no hen so he pushed the fade button and took his bro with him. Yesterday morning I sensed a break up as their were now two turkeys gobblin within 250yds of each other. I chose the far turkey, moved in and with my first call he shut down...😳...I did hear him fly down and he approached me drumming close enough I heard the spit( just out of range, just out of sight). He did ramp up and gobble a few times but would not commit. I repositioned twice and never got any closer. By mid morning the woods were silent.
So, this early morn while I sipped a thermos of coffee ol Tom began his day and he was close, maybe 100yds. I also heard the 2nd Tom about 300-400 yds away. Once it was time I gave a sweet series of yelps and was immediately stomped by a hen the other side of him. I mean STOMPED! She verbally destroyed me every time I called. I tried to engage her and it was bad... He gobbled at everything she said but wouldn’t answer me- talk about hen pecked. I thought she might come but no- I glimpsed him strutting backwards as she dragged him off. He did finally answer one time but it was a feeble gesture.
Ok, still stinging from my verbal beat down I stood up straight and said,”... there IS another gobbler out there.” Checked maps and saw he seemed to have been roosted near a clearing between the pines and swamp. Really a wide place in a logging trail so I commenced putting myself there. On arrival I chose my setup and got comfortable. I planned to stay a couple hours if the situation didn’t dictate another course. I figured I had to be within 200 yds of the gobbler so I scratched off a cluck and some yelps. Pow! Another hen lights in to me and he gobbles maybe 100yds away! Happy to hear a gobble but dang! another mean hen.i wait 5-10 mins and yelp sweetly ( at least I thought so) to which I got nothing. He did start gobblin some at crows and woodpeckers. The hen after telling me off the first time stayed silent. As I set and prepared to set awhile movement in my left peripheral caught my attention and ol Silent came easing up standing tall giving it all the eyeball. No hen, reverse course and head away. Had to move as he went behind a small tree. Now he’s moving right to left, gap in the trees, all instinct, just pointing where I’m looking, shot...... no movement. Five second hesitation then moving that way. Did I miss? I don’t see....There he is, flat as yesterday’s opened can of soda. Foot to head, he starts to flop and the gobbler out there with hens gobbles, so it wasn’t him. Sneaky Pete wasn’t a bad turkey . 3/4” spur but almost 10” thick beard and 20lbs. Wing feathers nubbed off almost halfway lol. Take what they give; I was lucky. Thanks for Huntin with me.
Attachments
F49A777D-9CC2-4EC5-B328-FBCE7FF6A102.jpeg
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
BrowningGuy88

Re: Good Hunt this Morning

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Nice

Hard earned bird sounds like!
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Congratulations! You know how to play the game with these wily old birds. Well deserved bushy brush.
Don
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Well done and congrats :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Post by 935 »

Good work, on the story and the tom. Congrats.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
Ctrize

Post by Ctrize »

Congratulations

Return to “Huntin Tales”