Contest

All about the 2012 Gobbler Nation turkey hunting contest.
Roy

Re: Contest

Post by Roy »

I'll be right over
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

What happened? I waited all night.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Sweet touches to the developing rules:

1. minus 5 NWTF scoring points for each shot fired beyond the first shot (at the same turkey)
2. plus 5 NWTF scoring points for each turkey call you break resulting in a harvest
3. minus 5 NWTF scoring points if you list the number of pellets in the 10-inch circle the turkey head was in when you pulled the trigger
4. plus 5 NWTF scoring points for walking off the actual shot distance
5. plus the entire NWTF Score of Sloppy's Tom if your Tom is harvested with a Swarm choke tube

:walk:
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Sloppy_Snood wrote:Sweet touches to the developing rules:

5. plus the entire NWTF Score of Sloppy's Tom if your Tom is harvested with a Swarm choke tube

Wouldn't that imply that you would have to kill one :scratch: So most likely no bonus points if I kill one with a swarm :toothy7:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:

Wouldn't that imply that you would have to kill one :scratch: So most likely no bonus points if I kill one with a swarm :toothy7:
bwahahahahahahaha!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

1. minus 5 NWTF scoring points for each shot fired beyond the first shot (at the same turkey)
2. plus 5 NWTF scoring points for each turkey call you break resulting in a harvest
3. minus 5 NWTF scoring points if you list the number of pellets in the 10-inch circle the turkey head was in when you pulled the trigger
4. plus 5 NWTF scoring points for walking off the actual shot distance

How bout 50 extra NWTF points if ya call a gobbler off of posted land & kill him. Add a extra 25 NWTF points if you rip your pants hopping across a fence to get a gobbler on POSTED land !! :thumbright:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

guesswho wrote:I think you should be penalized if you shoot a turkey that only has one beard. :struttin: :bootyshake:

Every subspecies and or region seems to have some type of advantage. Osceola's longer spurs, Eastern's weight and multiple beards depending on region, Rio's weight and spurs ect.

Whatever the rules and scoring are going to be they should be simple.
I seem to remember you posting a picture before of a turkey that had like 15 or more beards... :o

so its no surprise that your are produces nothing less than triple beards. If its got to be more than a single beard...well I won't be posting much for pictures in this contest. lol
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I really like the idea of a contest. While my team didn't do all that great @ OG I did get the highest scoring bird and was awarded an unexpected prize from Andy @ AJ Turkey Calls.That prize will be my go to call for sure this year.
The only thing I would like to see is a random drawing for team members.I realize that we all like to hunt with our buds and that cool. However some of us (myself) are not successful as a rule or have limited time and places to hunt. While last year was exceptional for me I generally consider myself somewhat of an anchor holding my team back.
Some of you fellas are fortunate to hunt superb areas and multiple states .Some of you fellas could probably call in a gobbler with a hockey puck and a tree branch too.A random drawing would prevent "stacking the deck".
I really like the Idea of a "Virtual Trophy" too.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Problem with a drawing is, it doesn't promote even teams. There will be teams semi stacked, just from the luck of the draw. The goal is to divide up the big guns evenly, so at the conclusion of the contest, the teams all have a close total kill. Also the same with the newer hunters and those not fortunate enough to have time/land. If they are divided evenly up among the teams, they don't hurt a team at all. We'll actually need more of those type of hunters to balance the teams, because this Site is loaded with big time Turkey killers. I want some flexibility to place some people together, as long as it isn't an attempt to load a team. My lady has been like Turkey hunting once or twice, and I'd have her on my team, or she probably wouldn't feel comfortable joining the contest. I think you'd like the point system I'm leaning towards, but every one has to be honest about what they average per year on kills. I'll use the last 3 years they've hunted to set an average, then get as close to total points for all the teams. It's a bit difficult dividing up the Northern/Southern hunters, being generally the Northern Easterns score higher, because a lot of the guys hunt all over the place.
ImageImageImage
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Jaybird wrote:Problem with a drawing is, it doesn't promote even teams. There will be teams semi stacked, just from the luck of the draw. The goal is to divide up the big guns evenly, so at the conclusion of the contest, the teams all have a close total kill. Also the same with the newer hunters and those not fortunate enough to have time/land. If they are divided evenly up among the teams, they don't hurt a team at all. We'll actually need more of those type of hunters to balance the teams, because this Site is loaded with big time Turkey killers. I want some flexibility to place some people together, as long as it isn't an attempt to load a team. My lady has been like Turkey hunting once or twice, and I'd have her on my team, or she probably wouldn't feel comfortable joining the contest. I think you'd like the point system I'm leaning towards, but every one has to be honest about what they average per year on kills. I'll use the last 3 years they've hunted to set an average, then get as close to total points for all the teams. It's a bit difficult dividing up the Northern/Southern hunters, being generally the Northern Easterns score higher, because a lot of the guys hunt all over the place.

its hard to do it this way. guys can start teams or do a lotto to be on teams in my opinion. last two years i got f*ct over on hunts and ended up killing only one bird. Also, to divide north and south, its obvious why we cant do this. Eastern Species score higher, and come in easier than Osceola's, and those damn Merriams come to the sound of you loading your shotgun.
you cant base the contest of number of birds killed in last 3 years. you should do at least ten years. people get screwed on hunts/ dont have time to hunt/ cant get out as much as the retired/ dont have the property/ public swamp land in florida is more difficult than any other land i have hunted in my life. I personally think a lotto would be the best way to do teams. If the teams get stacked...then so what. It was fair.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

either way, im gonna be on guesswho's mom's team to guarantee the win. :lol: :lol: :lol: j/k
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

The reason I like the last 3 years is a lot of guys are putting down more now than 10 years ago. Also there are quite a few that haven't hunted 10 years, and then you have senile old farts like me that don't trully have a clue how many they put down 5 years ago, much less 10. I never knew there was even a scoring system, so I cut the beards off and spurs, and didn't even weigh them most of the time until the contests. The scoring system will be very fair the way I've got it figured, so the teams should be very close to start. It's imperative we start with a close field to make the contest legit, and interesting. My goal is to have many teams in it to the very end, and build excitement. If a couple of teams are running away with it, it's not as much fun. I gurantee if we do anything like a draw that will happen. Also, you'll get 3-4 newer hunters stuck on one team, instead of divided up, so you'll have teams with no chance right out of the chute.
ImageImageImage
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Jay, it is admirable that you are striving to divide the members into equivalent "squads" for the contest. On the other hand, I also see the fun in just doing a random draw every year and seeing how the cards fall. You are right, though, in stating that the contest winner would likely just be determined by the draw, rather than the competition, and that some teams would end up being much more likely to have a chance than others.

As for dividing teams evenly, if we are going to use the NWTF scoring system, then total numbers of birds killed by individual hunters has little relevance. What does have relevance it the average scores of the birds each person kills.

I hunt Merriams and Rios mostly (and yes, I will readily admit that they are probably easier to kill than public-lands Easterns or Osceolas). For the last three years, I have averaged four birds per year...all mature gobblers. Their average NWTF score has been around 55, ...maybe even less than that. In addition, in my forty-five years of hunting Merriams gobblers, I have seen ZERO multiple-bearded gobblers that I could have shot out of many thousands of birds I have looked over. I have seen, maybe, a handful of gobblers that might have scored in the mid-60's in that time-frame, and probably NONE that would score 70+.

There are other members here that kill four or more birds a year. The difference is that their average score per bird is probably closer to 70 or higher. For us to be considered equivalent in assessing our merits as team members is not realistic. In summary, I like your proposed system just fine, except you should base it, at least partially, on average NWTF score, not just total birds killed. And if we are going to include multi-beards in the scoring, there will have to be some accounting in balance for the people here that regularly kill those.

THE END....
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Good points, and agree on certain areas producing higher scoring birds. #1, I want is the numbers fair. As you know, if a team puts down 60 birds compared to 20 for every one else we are doomed for a fair contest from the start. That I'm not going to allow. As far as scoring that's impossible to figure, because some won't even know what their birds scored, if they weren't in contests. Only way to stop that is mix the Northern/Southern group as much as possible, but tough with so many hunting all over the place. I like the mixing, because at OG we had almost all Northern guys, and our team had hardly got started when other teams were done, and out fishing. I still am having a major issue with multibeards. That's a real kicker in the contest, and would like a lot of feedback on that one from our guys here. I won't have an issue on people scoring obviously damaged beards from fighting leaving 2 beards, and having it allowed in the contest. I gurantee that won't be here. If I do the point system, I can get around requests for people to be on the same team. On one Site a father was on one team, and his 10 year old on another team. That's just plain stupid. Same with husband and wifes or girlfriends like in my case. Also, I can divide the new hunters evenly. If I go with what I have planned, I can't wait till the last few weeks before hunting to have teams divided up, and allow teams to form as long as you have people coming late to the Site. That really screws it up. So, by March 1st, the contest is closed, and we go from there. That means starting Jan 1st to March 1st we will run the sign in sheet, and I will have teams set by the 7th. Hopefully. I will have Captains in place for all the teams at that time also. That gives the Captains time to get his team all lined up with names, banners, etc. I would like volunteers on being Captains by pm, and let me know if you've done this before or been on other teams, and know the work involved. A bad Captain can really screw a team up, because there can be a lot of follow up involved, and needs to be done in a timely manner. Being this is our 1st year here doing this, there's going to be some scrambling, and we don't have a clue on size of teams or members per team. My goal is 12 teams with 10-12 members, and I'll be happy.
ImageImageImage
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Methinks you follow a noble and righteous path, Glasshoppa! :D :salute:

I also think that most, if not all, of the turkey slayers we have, and will have, on here are quite capable of divulging information regarding their past kills that would aid you in your team selection. Even if, by some wild stroke of incredulity, there are some here that don't have a clue on how to score their gobblers, we could get an idea just by asking them about the vital statistics of the birds they have killed.

Once again, using my own experience as the example,.....I can tell you that the gobblers I have killed in the last three years have averaged a 9.25" beard length, 1" spurs, and weighed an average of about 19.5 pounds. Extrapolating from that information, one can calculate that I am likely to enter a gobbler in the contest that would score less than sixty, regardless.

The point is that everybody on here knows (hopefully) how to measure a beard and spurs correctly,...and should have a realistic idea of how much their birds weigh. All of us should be able to average out the birds we have taken over the last three years and give you that information,...which will aid you in determining equality in the teams.

...And for those that don't know how to measure their beards and spurs,..and weigh their birds,....and then do the arithmetic to get the final score,.....well, it's about time you learned!!

Finally, if there is enough squealing by those that are fortunate enough to be able to hunt where they can have a good chance at taking a multiple-bearded gobbler, then go ahead and allow them in the scoring system. ...Just make sure you balance it out by weighing them down with a bunch of low-scoring guys....like me!
:toothy7:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

The average scoring on 3 years is tough, because of the wide areas people hunt, and where are they hunting this year. I believe a lot of the guys haven't weighed a bird in years. As far as putting down multibeards, and being common, I sure haven't seen it. This year I put down a doublebeard, but that's the first one I remember shooting, and I've seen very few shot by family and friends. Seems to be mostly a lucky thing, and your odds increase in relation to the amount of birds you put down every year. Another reason to keep the teams balanced on numbers. The reason I liked the multibeard in the scoring at OG was, I knew I was totally outgunned on amount of Turkeys by 2 teams to start the contest for the last 2 years, and only chance I had to win was put down a couple of high scoring multibeards. Was at least a variable to winning. Here there shouldn't be that situation, so I really don't care one way or another.
ImageImageImage
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I am excited Jay. Looks like it will be fun. I'm going to mail a scale to guesswho. :mrgreen:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

:lol: Make sure it comes with directions.
ImageImageImage
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Jaybird wrote::lol: Make sure it comes with directions.
Let me guess. Open box, remove item "scale", turn item "scale" sideways and insert in..........................Thats how most instrctions I get from people seem to start out.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

:laughing3:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

:lol: Now, that's funny.
ImageImageImage
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

How 'bout them Gobble Kings!

3peat anyone?
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

hawglips wrote:How 'bout them Gobble Kings!

3peat anyone?
Great team, that actually scored all their birds without having to be beat on the head with a bat. LOL. I got 2nd to them once, which I was happy about.
ImageImageImage
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

:thumbup: :mrgreen:
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

I wish you guys the best of luck this upcoming season. I'm staying out of any contests this year. I've been shutout the last 2 seasons, and I don't want to hold any teams back.
I'll be cheering from the sidelines! :thumbup:

Return to “2012 Gobbler Nation Turkey Hunting Contest”