Latest Pinhoti

Post your favorite YouTube hunting videos here.
Prospector

Latest Pinhoti

Post by Prospector »

Y’all seen this one yet!?! Where the guys came in behind Dave and felt that blinds thrown in the day before entitled them to that spot. WHAT A TOOL. This is the behavior that gives public land a bad name. Hats off Dave for being firm and NOT BACKING DOWN. I think maybe that this is a strategy to discourage you from public land bc surely nobody is that foolish (stupid).
Public land is PUBLIC and residency doesn’t give anyone more “right” to it than someone from out of state. Now I don’t know if that guy was a resident or not but I do know he’s not a credit to the human race. Good luck, Dave- keep em coming!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Latest Pinhoti

Post by jsh909 »

Not sure how it works in other states, but here in Ohio that makes those "public" blinds and open to whoever gets there first. The same goes for ladder stands left on public land.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

At one time the honored,unwritten rule locally was that a built duck blind on a public waterway was the builder's for opening day only. Thereafter it was first come first serve. Yes, the man in the video was a complete ass. I've seen folks "reserve" spots on dove fields by placing their dove buckets in the field hours before the start of a shoot. I give credit to field owners who flag field spots by number and the spot is assigned by drawing a number out of a hat. I used to despise LeMans starts to a dove field. Gil
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Watch this segment last night. The guy was a total jerk and a discredit to the sport. Having recently written about an experience on public where the opposite happened where a couple of hunters beat us to an area we had scouted by maybe 10 minutes we wished them luck and backed out to an area that we determined to hold some gobblers and hit pay dirt an hour or so later with a quick hunt and an awesome gobbler for my son.

During deer season on public here in South Florida there is a practice of folks scouting and tying ribbons to mark an area where they intend to hunt. The problem with this is that folks fail to remove the ribbon after the hunt. As most WMAs have multiple quota hunts on successive weekends the ribbons are a pain as one may not know if it's for a past or current hunt.
Don
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

One place I hunt there is limited public area to hunt and some private owned by a conservancy that allows anyone who applies permission so basically public too. It seems ever year a week before opening day a bunch of blinds go up and stay all season. I have had several run ins with guys that believe that because they put a blind up its their private spot for the season ! They especially hate when you shoot their bird thats on the way to their private blind before it gets to them lol
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

I was glad to see not just how well Dave handled this, but that he chose to include it in the video as a teaching moment on public land courtesy.

Well done Dave!
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I may have told this before but it's worth repeating. Decades ago on a large military base that permitted public access by written pass, two outlaws built a blind and baited it with buckwheat.  This was over 40 years ago.  They agreed that neither would hunt it until the following Wednesday when they'd do it together.  On the Tuesday before, one of them sneaked towards  the blind and saw a bird feeding where it was baited.  He shot at it.  Turned out it was a decoy that the other man was using and he was in the blind.  There truly is no honor in game thieves. Just recently, a mutual friend of the pair, couldn't wait to tell me what the other man had just asked him.  "I'm just curious and there will be no hard feelings if you say "yes".   I just want to know.   I've just been wondering all these years.  Did you crap in the turkey blind Joe and I built years ago down on the public land?"   The mutual friend just about fell on the ground laughing and said "no."   The man proceeded to tell him that someone had crapped in their blind more than once. The outlaw then asked him "Do you think Gil did it?"  "No."  "What makes you think that?' " He couldn't have stood to keep quiet about it and would have told me by now. "  For the record, if I had known about the blind back then, I would have parked a dark one in it.  Gil
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Looked to me like those junk blinds were just there to keep others away!

You all can have Florida public!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

On leases in areas open to all members you tend to have those guys who move in, put up stands , blinds or shoot houses and vigorously defend the area bc their stand is there. A great approach to that is to make it a rule that no stands are private and any paying member has a right to it. It’s first come first serve always. It works even though most of us would NEVER hunt from an “unknown” stand (esp a tree stand- yikes)!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Yea another reason I hunt private. I don’t do good in them situations. Just ask people that know me.
I’m gonna Hunt public with a friend this year but I don’t expect to kill I’m just going to experience it. If I do it’s just a bonus. I’m going just to see what I’m missing out on.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

The guy had been in the afternoon and that’s when the blinds were put up. I actually think he could have handled it with more class. Turkey hunting wise, Those guys didn’t know what they were doing without their blinds and decoys and Dave is a seasoned hunter that hunts what, 75 days season? Not saying it’s right, I have never and will never park and go in on another turkey hunter but I saw that more of an inexperience issue. Dave just looked like asshat to me but then again i’m on the record on this form for saying that there’s something about him I just can’t stand . :LMAO:
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I didn't see at as inexperience. It looked like they knew exactly what they were attempting to do, lock up a claim on a public land area by placing a blind.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

A well trained bird dog "honors a point". Over the years, with the increasing popularity of turkey hunting, there are more Dicks in the woods, both literally and figuratively. It has been the "gold standard" among turkey hunters that if you get beaten to a spot, then you go to another place regardless of what you've roosted, seen, scouted or blinded. Unfortunately, their are individuals who turkey hunt who have no "honor". Several years ago, I had a confrontation w/ an individual on a WMA that I had beaten to a spot and was waiting for the birds to start gobbling. A guy showed up and told me just where he was going to hunt, and despite a heated conversation, off he went down the ridge. I jotted down his plate number and drove to another spot. I was working a gobbler at another location when I heard a shot from my previous location. I was able to kill the two year old bird I was working and as I drove out, saw that his truck was gone. I walked down the ridge and found both the site of the kill and a large amount of yellow corn. When I got to the check station, the "poacher" had already checked his bird and left. I reported my findings to the Area Manager and he said, "If you've got time, let's drive to his house, which isn't far." Well, the "poacher" had not cleaned his bird which had a crop full of corn, and when he was confronted w/ the maximum fines, suspensions, and possibility of criminal prosecution w/ a vehicle license number and my testimony totally fess-up to his crime. The "poachers" insistence on hunting "his spot" had obvious ulterior reasons.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

SwampDrummin wrote: March 27th, 2020, 11:08 am The guy had been in the afternoon and that’s when the blinds were put up. I actually think he could have handled it with more class. Turkey hunting wise, Those guys didn’t know what they were doing without their blinds and decoys and Dave is a seasoned hunter that hunts what, 75 days season? Not saying it’s right, I have never and will never park and go in on another turkey hunter but I saw that more of an inexperience issue. Dave just looked like asshat to me but then again i’m on the record on this form for saying that there’s something about him I just can’t stand . :LMAO:
so what would you have done differently?
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Respectfully disagree. One party got their first. The second party intruded period. Personal feelings aside I felt it was handled about as well as could have been short of assault. The second intruding party’s only lame excuse was blinds placed the evening before ... since Dave had scouted the week before and has probably hunted there in other seasons then the jerks excuse for following them in is shot down by his own stupid reasoning...No, that’s not how it works. A novice may be given some patience and guidance but wrong is still wrong. First ones there hunts the rest humps...to another area.
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: March 27th, 2020, 11:57 am I didn't see at as inexperience. It looked like they knew exactly what they were attempting to do, lock up a claim on a public land area by placing a blind.
I can certainly see that side of it. At the same time, let’s not knight or sanctify Dave just yet. I recall watching an episode from last season or the one before where he and his partner “locked up” several square miles by placing vehicles at opposite ends of miles of road. I’m not convinced that was necessary or in the spirit of good sportsmanship. Struck me as a “me first” mentality by someone who hunts more in one season than most of us do in ten.
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

And remember, he’s the chief editor too. We only see he wants and uploads. While it might have been what meets the eye, you and I weren’t there. We really don’t know the full story.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I'm not knighting anyone. We are all at least a little guilty of thinking everyone else on public land is a dumb @#& and we are always the one that got it right. I
try to avoid the kind of folks that park blinds in a trail. I've never stood arguing with a guy and have the hunt turn out productive. I'd rather be finding a bird somewhere else and let them have it, but that's me.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

You know, and I know what is easiest, just to leave and not be confrontational, but by doing so, especially if you are in the right, the late interloper wins and doesn't learn a damn thing. You may be p---ing into the wind, but if you don't call their hand and at least try to "educate" them, you are essentially condoning their actions and they will continue to believe that they have not done anything wrong and that their actions are permissible in the turkey woods and will continue in the same vein into the future.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I'm more concerned with killing turkeys than I am with teaching a jerk off a lesson.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

A friend and I had a fella park his truck next to ours one morning and ride a bike down the trail in a lake peninsula to where we had been standing for an hour... it was still an hour before daylight. Said he had hunted there for years... what the heck does that have to do with anything? Some people are just dumb.
30 minutes later, here something coming....a fella hauling a blind, a sack full of decoys, and figured he’d just walk on by too.

I swear some folks just need a good thrashing. Why park right next to someone at a gate and go down the same road before daylight? Especially when you know there ain’t enough room for multiple people in the area.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

gaswamp wrote: March 27th, 2020, 2:49 pm
SwampDrummin wrote: March 27th, 2020, 11:08 am The guy had been in the afternoon and that’s when the blinds were put up. I actually think he could have handled it with more class. Turkey hunting wise, Those guys didn’t know what they were doing without their blinds and decoys and Dave is a seasoned hunter that hunts what, 75 days season? Not saying it’s right, I have never and will never park and go in on another turkey hunter but I saw that more of an inexperience issue. Dave just looked like asshat to me but then again i’m on the record on this form for saying that there’s something about him I just can’t stand . :LMAO:
so what would you have done differently?
If they really wanted to go I wouldn’t have pushed it to an aggressive I was here first stance. I have stopped before and have had guys “let me” come in with them when I was gonna leave and go elsewhere. I would pay it forward, and said yeah they could to go to blinds like they wanted to. In the very unlikely event that screwed me up, so be it. Let them sit in tents if they want to. I can hunt around a tent - by being a dick he made the other guy decide to chase the birds too and in such ruined both their mornings.

He wanted to stomp his feet and yell I was first. Well there’s no such rule to public land even though it is an honorable custom. Suck it up, and work out a plan. They have every right you do to hunt there even if you were first. It may have felt good to tell that guy off but it didn’t do anything towards changing that guys opinion or improving the situation. He’ll just double down next time.
uvagobbler

Post by uvagobbler »

I think Dave handled it better than I would have. I would NEVER pull beside another truck. If the other guy beat me to the spot, no problem. I move on to the next spot. Boils down to safety and common courtesy for me. I had a discussion with a person one time and he said that he had just as much right to park beside me and hunt beside me if he wanted to. He claimed that he wasn’t breaking the law, it was “public” land. He said the law was all the ethics he needed. Sadly, you see this kind of hunter more and more often.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

uvagobbler wrote: March 28th, 2020, 1:09 am I think Dave handled it better than I would have. I would NEVER pull beside another truck. If the other guy beat me to the spot, no problem. I move on to the next spot. Boils down to safety and common courtesy for me. I had a discussion with a person one time and he said that he had just as much right to park beside me and hunt beside me if he wanted to. He claimed that he wasn’t breaking the law, it was “public” land. He said the law was all the ethics he needed. Sadly, you see this kind of hunter more and more often.
Times like that would make me wish I'd had an air horn handy. Fortunately, I've never had such an encounter. The closest was me standing beside my truck waiting for the bird to gobble and a fellow driving up just before gobbling time and asking me which side of the road I was hunting as he'd like to hunt the other side. I was almost speechless, but managed to say "which ever side I hear the gobbles." He got the hint and left. Years ago a retired major league pitcher and his wife hunted together at a public tract. They'd drive up to a parked truck and announce, usually it was just her doing the talking, "we've been hunting here and it's our spot." That didn't go over well and they'd leave after being told off. Gil
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Valid points all. I will play it like I seen it on PP. My opinion guy is wrong but no “law” against what he did. BUT if it takes me “x”amount of time to get where I want to be then I only have to arrive “x” time before I wanna be there, park beside your truck and walk on in past anyone else to maybe sit with you on the ridge. And wonder why you had to get up so early and why are you so mad ? I mean sheesh my granddaddy brought me here one time 23yrs ago so this is my place...That would go over like a hair in a biscuit. My opinion but it’s like I complained about a year ago, some people think it’s ok to drive vechicles thru fields food plots pipelines etc. No rule or law against it but a crappy, lazy way to hunt imo.

Return to “GNTV”