Days 52 & 56 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Days 52 & 56 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 52 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

I had 2 options this afternoon: 1. Move the rest of the pine tree to the piles or sit in the nice, quiet woods.
I flipped a coin, heads I sit in the woods, tails, I sit in the woods. I hit the woods behind the house &, as I
got to my spot at 13:25, a fox disappeared into a brush pile directly behind me at about 15’. It was 49, sunny
but a bit cloudy, & breezy. At 13:30, a spike walked on a straight line towards me to within 20 yards when it
hit my scent from walking in. He literally walked in my footsteps, with his nose to the ground, towards the
4-wheeler. Not sure if he got to it as I lost sight of him.

At 13:42, a fox ran around in front on my left but too far for a shot. At 14:12, 1 moved across in front of me
then to my left. It stopped, I got the x-hairs on its head & started to squeeze. It moved & I couldn’t stop my
finger & missed. Away it went.

At 14:33, I spotted a fox on the side of a tree on my left but too far for a shot. It went up & down the tree at
least 6 times when another 1 appeared at the base of the same tree. The 1st 1 eventually tired of the up &
down, hit the ground, & the 2 of them took off for parts unknown.

At 14:55, 2 bucks, a 4 & at least an 8, wandered through the woods on my left & disappeared. I saw more deer
today in 1 ½ hrs, 3 bucks, than I have this season total. I got back to the pond at 15:20. I was easing up to see
if there were any bushies at the pond. I did see 1 on the far side but it moved into the undergrowth. I was
thinking of heading back at 15:35 when a fox snuck in behind me at 5’ or so. It moved to my right & went behind
a tree. I expected it to show up on the other side but it had gone up the back side of the tree. It came down on
the right side, hit the ground, & headed of into the undergrowth.

I sat back down at 15:50 & decided to head to the house at 16:30. I was slipping back to the 4-wheeler watching
for any bushies like last time. There was a fox on the ground & it headed up a tree & disappeared into the tops.
It was still sunny with clouds, windy, & 50.

Maybe the pine tree will get moved tomorrow.

Day 52 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Between working out & lunch, I stopped at my deer blind for 1 last piece of work. I added a bracket to the shelf
so the 20 ib. propane tank would be on a more sturdy spot.

It was 49, sunny with clouds, stiff breeze, & 49 when I sat down at 12:53. At 13:00, I saw a fox for a second at
the shagbark grove. At 13:17, a fox came in on my left. The way it acted, I thought it saw me as it hit the
undergrowth in a hurry. I kept watch &, at 13:20, it reappeared, took a couple of hops, & jumped up on top of
the roots of a dead fall. It was a nice young male.

At 13:28, another bushy came into the same area as the last 1. It moved through the dead fall stopping a couple
of times giving clear shots but at its back. No dice. I watched for it & it did come back & sat a couple of feet
from the other but left quickly with no shot.

At 14:15, I decided to check the beans for squirrels. Something was moving around a couple of hundred yards out.
I though I knew what it was but cranked the scope to 9x to confirm it was a huge ground hog. The shot was way
too long so I decided to wait & see if it would move my way. It didn’t hurt that where I was standing was in the
warming sun. I went & sat back down at 14:35. I thought about it & decided, since I had the 1st half of the equation,
spot, I needed to see if I could still pull off the 2nd, stalk. I headed through the woods until I got to where I thought
it was & found that it had moved closer to the woods. It was sitting there staring at me it seemed. I inched towards
it keeping trees between us until I hit the edge, found a sapling for a rest & the world is better off with 1 less hole-digging,
bean-eating critter. It must have weighed close to 20 pounds.

The last pic of the bushy & pasture piggy is for comparison. The bushy weighs about 2 pounds.

I also found a fairly fresh rub so there are bucks in the area buit they must be camera shy as they don’t show up on my
trails cam.

The wind had picked up & it was getting chilly so I headed home at 15:45 with the temp up to 52, still windy, sunny, & cloudy.

001.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Days 52 & 56 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good job. Gotta get them squirrels for fall turkey camp. Keep it up b
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Days 52 & 56 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: October 26th, 2021, 8:07 pm Good job. Gotta get them squirrels for fall turkey camp. Keep it up b
Thx but, sadly, no fall camp this year. The bushies will fill the dinner plates for next spring.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”