Geese

everything except turkey & deer
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Geese

Post by Hoobilly »

Didn’t kill any. Should’ve would’ve could’ve as they flew over us several times and her circled and didn’t commit to the spread. Was asked to tag along on this hunt or I would’ve been saying killm

Felt good to get out and hunt them this morning. Took a couple pictures
The young lady is my niece
Really liking the divebombdecoys. The silhouettes have come a long way
Attachments
3AB05BC0-E179-4F50-B08E-76EC3E46ECE5.jpeg
AC3F7CCF-109C-49B3-A52F-D3E4CF0DD8C7.jpeg
30C004A4-2B3C-42CC-BA98-E55961AAE060.jpeg
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Geese

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I never believed in silos had four dozen as spread fillers.. I had permission in a field pushing 1k no one to hunt with, some guys rolled up asked if I had permission, yup.. It was a muddy mess, we talked I had trailer fbs they had 12 dozen silos.. Never hunted over a large dread of silos before.. Said lets try um..

We.banged limits 3 days straight and never shot in the bulk of birds, so quick to pick up..
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 7:50 pm I never believed in silos had four dozen as spread fillers.. I had permission in a field pushing 1k no one to hunt with, some guys rolled up asked if I had permission, yup.. It was a muddy mess, we talked I had trailer fbs they had 12 dozen silos.. Never hunted over a large dread of silos before.. Said lets try um..

We.banged limits 3 days straight and never shot in the bulk of birds, so quick to pick up..
Yep they are easy to put out and grab up. Couple with ghg goose dekes is a smarter move I think cause the wind sways them some adding actual movement.

The only thing I think needed today was looker silhouettes.

I didn’t get a picture but these divebombdecoys have a silhouette with a hair bigger body and 2 heads like a mating pair I guess

dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Good deal. I don't hunt them like I used to. I find it interesting that black and whites are the new fad for some. 10 or 15 years ago they weren't cool...not me.
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

dsunday wrote: October 24th, 2021, 4:56 pm Good deal. I don't hunt them like I used to. I find it interesting that black and whites are the new fad for some. 10 or 15 years ago they weren't cool...not me.
Are they doing the black and whites for high visibility?

dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Yes. I should take a pic sometime when in hunt my pond. From a quarter mile away the Real Geese washout into the grass but the homemade black and whites really POP. The goal is to attract distant flocks and you usually put them upwind so the geese see your more realistic stuff when they get close. They usually land into the wind to help slow them down
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

dsunday wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:34 pm Yes. I should take a pic sometime when in hunt my pond. From a quarter mile away the Real Geese washout into the grass but the homemade black and whites really POP. The goal is to attract distant flocks and you usually put them upwind so the geese see your more realistic stuff when they get close. They usually land into the wind to help slow them down
I now remember reading about the Susquehanna River hunters in Pa who used silhouettes for many years that were black and white. I’ll mention to my nieces boyfriend about using them separately away from the drop down zone

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Love my Waterfowl hunting. Spent thousands of dollars on full bodies, trailer and all the goodies. Wife surprised me with a hunt in Alberta with Sean Mann. Well after a week of layouts and silhouettes I came home and sold everything. I now run 15 dozen silos and layouts, all fit into a 6 1/2 pickup bed with room to spare ! Remember something, they used to run tires with white stripes for Honkers on the Eastern shore. Up here we run bleach bottles with the caps painted yellow and a black stripe on the sides for Eider decoys and paint them all black with white stripes for Scoter decoys on Cape Cod bay. 2 gallon bottles are considered Super magnum decoys !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I've made over 16 dozen goose silhouettes and 8 dozen duck silhouettes and don't field hunt without them. I use a wood stake w/ a stainless steel rod which goes up into the decoy which has a three prong design, a U shape of stainless welded onto the central piece which is mounted into the stake and goes into the decoy prevents too much motion by restricting the movement of the decoy in the wind. In a decent breeze the spread looks like it is all moving. We generally put 32" G&H shells which have been modified w/ stakes around our layout blinds and put full bodies down wind in the landing zone. My Canada silhouettes are modified black and whites w/ a grey breast and belly all flat with the exception of the glossier black bill and eyes. Over the years we've hunted a lot of fields where you had to carry in your spreads and even modified the giant 42" G&H shells for stakes and would simply lay out on green closed-cell military sleeping mats under the giant G&H shells mounted on 11/2" wooden dowels which made the shells movable right or left. Our spread has been especially effective in winter wheat or close cropped fields or pastures with little to no cover. With that said, give me a nice fence row where I can tuck in and stand and swing on my two feet any day vrs. laying out.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

spider316 wrote: October 24th, 2021, 7:37 pm Love my Waterfowl hunting. Spent thousands of dollars on full bodies, trailer and all the goodies. Wife surprised me with a hunt in Alberta with Sean Mann. Well after a week of layouts and silhouettes I came home and sold everything. I now run 15 dozen silos and layouts, all fit into a 6 1/2 pickup bed with room to spare ! Remember something, they used to run tires with white stripes for Honkers on the Eastern shore. Up here we run bleach bottles with the caps painted yellow and a black stripe on the sides for Eider decoys and paint them all black with white stripes for Scoter decoys on Cape Cod bay. 2 gallon bottles are considered Super magnum decoys !
By any means necessary!

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

decoykrvr wrote: October 24th, 2021, 7:47 pm I've made over 16 dozen goose silhouettes and 8 dozen duck silhouettes and don't field hunt without them. I use a wood stake w/ a stainless steel rod which goes up into the decoy which has a three prong design, a U shape of stainless welded onto the central piece which is mounted into the stake and goes into the decoy prevents too much motion by restricting the movement of the decoy in the wind. In a decent breeze the spread looks like it is all moving. We generally put 32" G&H shells which have been modified w/ stakes around our layout blinds and put full bodies down wind in the landing zone. My Canada silhouettes are modified black and whites w/ a grey breast and belly all flat with the exception of the glossier black bill and eyes. Over the years we've hunted a lot of fields where you had to carry in your spreads and even modified the giant 42" G&H shells for stakes and would simply lay out on green closed-cell military sleeping mats under the giant G&H shells mounted on 11/2" wooden dowels which made the shells movable right or left. Our spread has been especially effective in winter wheat or close cropped fields or pastures with little to no cover. With that said, give me a nice fence row where I can tuck in and stand and swing on my two feet any day vrs. laying out.
Beat goose hunt I e ever been on was the outskirts of Plymouth. Hoosier tire butted up next to the property we was hunting. Had a few dekes in the retention pond and some on the edge. There was a hedge of trees with brown mulch on the property line. We placed the layouts there. Had 10 man limits of 5 geese each in 40 minutes. And we didn’t bang every flock that came in.

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Political signs exacto knife and spray paint alot of guys used for spread fillers..
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:01 pm Political signs exacto knife and spray paint alot of guys used for spread fillers..
I use them signs for shooting targets at long distance

😂

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”