Day 43 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 43 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

It was 66 with sunny, partially cloudy skies, & a pretty stiff breeze when I sat up in “my” turkey woods at 11:55.
A few dead saplings had fallen over since the last time I hunted here so I took a few minutes breaking them down
so I could shoot over them if needed.

At 12:39, a fox jumped up on the side of a stump about 50’ feet in front of me but moved to the back, dropped
to the ground & disappeared. At 12:40, I caught motion to my right & there was a big bushy on a broken down
sapling about 20’ from me. I went into freeze mode until it hit the ground & started slowly moving away with its
back to me. I was able to twist around & get a good head shot on a big, old male. It was at this time I realized I
had missed my calling in life as a carnival sideshow contortionist!!!! lol At the shot, another one started mumbling
behind me. Since I could see the 1 I shot, I stayed seated hoping the grumbler would come my way.

At 12:48, the 1st 1 I saw showed up on a large deadfall too far for a shot & headed into the undergrowth. At 13:10,
1 came running straight towards me. When it went behind a tree, I was able to turn a little & get the .17 shouldered.
When it reappeared, I followed it in the scope until it stopped, I popped, & she flopped, a nice young female.

The tree in the pic is the 1 the male was on. That .17 is devastating as it literally took the heads off both bushies with
just a little hide holding them together.

I sat until 16:00 when I headed in with the same sunny, partially sky, breeze, & a temp of 72.

001.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 43 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by spider316 »

Haha, get in my belly Mr. & Mrs. Squirrel pie !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 43 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by soiltester »

Jorge,
I believe U' be a bit' "over powered" wit' yer" 17, but I'd take ya' on any time wit' my 22 mag :thumbup: :bounce: :bounce:
A buck a head shot, jist like I did wit' my squarrel' huntin' MI buddy!! :thumbup:
I nebr' lost :stir:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”