Day 28 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 28 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Between working out & lunch, I went back to “my” deer woods, finished removing the roots of the tree
I cut up last week, did some minor repair work on my blind, & swapped out the card in my trail cam.

It was 72, sunny with high, white, fluffies, & a pretty strong breeze at 12:40. I decided to wear a light
jacket & was glad that I did as it was chilly inside the woods. At 12:43, a fox showed up in the area
where I used to sit. It foraged around a bit & disappeared. At 13:23, 1 came in on my left & jumped
up on a tree. As I was bringing up the .17, it also disappeared. At 13:57, a bushy ran through the woods
from right-to-left in front of me.

At 14:10 another, maybe the same bushy, showed up in the same area & went up a shagbark. I watched
it moving around in the tops &, at 14:15, it came back down & moved into the underbrush. At 14:21,
another fox jumped up on a stump, jumped down, & left.

I was beginning to get frustrated as I had already seen more squirrels to day than I had on any other day
this season with a big zippo to show for it!!

At 15:13, a squirrel started chirring behind me. I stood up, turned, & started scanning the trees around
my blind. At 15:15, I caught motion on my left. Slowly I turned my head, & inch by inch, I moved the
.17 into position & dropped a nice young male who was hanging horizontally on a tree about 30’ from me.
FINALLY!!!!

I headed in at 16:00 with the temp still at 72, sunny, breezy, & still high clouds.

001.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”