Days 17, 21, 27 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Days 17, 21, 27 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 17 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

I set-up in the woods behind my Sister’s house at 12:35 with the temp at82, sunny & calm.
Every once in awhile, a breeze kicked up keeping it bearable.

At 14:25 I took a walk through the east section of woods but the bugs sent me back to my
chair & Thermacell real quickly at 14:35. At 14:42, I spotted a fox at the north edge of
the west section. It never reappeared but a fawn went tearing across the combined bean
field at 14:53. I think this may have been the same fawn I saw the other day. Still didn’t
see its momma.

I decided to head in at 15:30, still sunny, calm, & 88.

===============================================================

Day 21 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

It was 71, with overcast skies, & windy when I set up in “my” deer woods at 13:00. At
13:03, a fox appeared about 10’ in front of me. It let me get the .17 shouldered but
took off before I could settle the x-hairs. It stopped at about 30’ & gave me a broadside
but, again, took off into the underbrush.

The wind was getting stronger, the skies darker, & I was contemplating heading in at
14:36 when another fox appeared within 3’ of where the 1st sat. It stood on it’s haunches
but beat feet before I could get on it. I think it may have been the same bushy both
sightings & it was heading back the way it had originally come.

I decided to head in before it started to rain. Temp was still 71, stronger wind, & darker
skies at 15:00.

===============================================================

Day 27 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

It was 63, windy with high white fluffies, & a bright sun at 08:43 when I was ready to go.
This is the 3rd time I have hunted this woods & the 1st morning hunt.

At 09:22, a fox came in on my left in front of me. I took the shot & it started to flip &
flop all over the place. I expected it to drop but it ran across the trail & a few feet up
the side of a tree. It was running & climbing oddly & I kept expecting to hear a thud
when it fell. Before I could get on it, it moved to the back of the tree. I kept an eye on
the tree &, about 5 minutes later, it appeared higher up on the opposite side of the tree.
There were too many small branches between us for a shot & it moved to the back side
again. I kept watching for it between scanning the rest of the woods &, at 09:43, it came
down, moved along a partially fallen sapling, & onto the ground. It was a male with most
of its right hind leg gone. My 1st bad shot of the season. It was really surprising that he
survived for 22 minutes with all the blood lost via his missing hind leg.

At 10:26, another fox ran through the woods in front of me never giving a shot. The wind
had really picked up & branches were starting to fall so I headed in at 11:45, temp 77, sunny,
& very windy. I plan to hit “my” deer woods tomorrow after lunch finishing removing a root
from the trail & some minor repair work on the blind.

It’s amazing what a little wind will do to a tree.

09-27 001.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Days 17, 21, 27 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by soiltester »

U' B' adding to the pot .. Jorge!! :thumbup:

Stick with it and leaves will fall soon :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”