Squirrel cleaning tricks

everything except turkey & deer
firedup

Squirrel cleaning tricks

Post by firedup »

Really like the pics of squirrel cleaning method. I do it that way and also the cut across the back and pull. But I thought it might be interesting if anyone had any special "secrets". I love to squirrel hunt but cleaning them.... not so much.

1. highly recommend the soak em in water approach. Really keeps the hairs off. For best effect don't just get em wet, let em soak for a few minutes.
2. Another trick I picked up a few years ago especially for older, tougher critters is to use an air compressor to loosen the skin from the body. Punch a SMALL hole just big enough for an air nozzle thru the skin. Going into the meat is not necessary. Insert nozzle in hole and it should blow up like a ballon. Really loosens up the hide from the body alot. If you have additional bullet holes you may loose some air and have to cut another hole or 2. If I head shoot them I make my hole back around the tail area and then use the same hole to start skinning.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Squirrel cleaning tricks

Post by Hoobilly »

thats pretty slick to use a air nozzle in getting the hide off the meat

I used to nail the feet over the edge of a board and cut down the back and pull the hide off easy.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”