Days 9, 13, & 14 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Days 9, 13, & 14 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 9 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

I hunted a friends’ woods this afternoon for only the 2nd time. It was more of a scouting
expedition than a hunt. It was 73, sunny with high clouds, & a pretty stiff breeze when I
got into the breeze. I took a long, slow walk looking for fresh cuttings. This is a pretty
tough woods to walk in unless you stick to the trails. There is a lot of brush & fallen trees
all through it.

I didn’t find any cuttings & took a stand near some oaks at 13:95. Nothing happened so I
moved at 15:15 to a spot with a large shagbark. There were a lot of nuts & old cuttings
on the ground. At 13:22, a bushy started scolding but I couldn’t locate it due to the leaves
& the wind which had picked up. Some nuts were also dropping but I don’t know if it was
from the breeze of a squirrel.

The wind had gotten quite a bit stronger & it was getting chilly. Also, the squirrel had
shut-up so I headed home at 16:00, temp at 69, windy, & overcast.

===============================================================

Day 13 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

I was ready to go at 11:55, 77, sun & a light breeze in the woods behind the house. At 12:27,
I saw a fox moving right-to-left in front of me for a few seconds. At 12:38, I saw it again much
closer, again, only for a few seconds. At 12:46, it went up a tree & sat there waving its tail at
me. At 12:50, it came down & went out-of-sight. I was still watching that area when I caught
movement out of the corner of my right eye, turning my head & seeing a fox with a hickory nut
in its mouth. It hopped a few feet & turned its back to me which let me shoulder the .17. It
ran a few feet & stopped at the base of a small tree about 15’ away where it went to that great
hickory tree in the sky.

At 14:00, I walked back to the pond &, at 14:56, a 4-wheeler showed up on the trail. I went to
see who it was & it was the owner. We talked for about 35 minutes. During that time, we heard
a noise to the east & watched a fair sized tree fall near where I had been sitting.

I sat back down at 15:37. At 16:45, I decided to head to the house. I started the 4-wheeler, let
it warm up a little, put it in gear, turned the handles slightly to the left, & it died. Just flat quit,
no sputtering or anything. The lights didn’t work nor did the wench & it didn’t even click when I
turned the ignition key. The pull starter didn’t work either,
so I knew it had to be electrical. I got hold of my Sister & she came with their pickup & towed me
back to the house. I have taken it to a shop in Findlay off I75 but that’s at least an hour tow. I
also looked at directions for the same company in Sandusky, which is closer but a real PIA to get to.
Hopefully I can get it figured out.

It was 18:00, 82, breezy, & sunny when I finally got home.

09-13-001.jpg

===============================================================

Day 14 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

I mentioned my problem with my 4-wheeler of yesterday to 1 of the ladies at the fitness center this
morning & she told me about a repair shop in town. I stopped on the way to lunch & they do work
on Polaris 4-wheelers which will save me from towing it to a shop about an hour away. They can’t
get to it for 2 weeks but ‘m good with that.

I got set up in “my” deer woods at 12:45, temp of 87, sunny with clouds, & a pretty brisk breeze. At
14:55, I walked to a shagbark grove & found some fresh cuttings but not many. At 15:15, the wind
started gusting pretty badly &, when limbs started falling, I decided to call it a day at 16:45, 88, still
sunny with clouds, & real windy.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Tail Feathers

Re: Days 9, 13, & 14 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by Tail Feathers »

I have a Polaris 4 wheeler. When my battery died, it was similar to yours. Running till it didn't and then nothing. Try to jump start it before you pay a mechanic. If I recall correctly, mine wouldn't start on a jump but it would turn over a bit, which was more than I'd had. I took a chance on a new battery and it fired right up and is still good a year later.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Days 9, 13, & 14 of the 2021 Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Tail Feathers wrote: September 14th, 2021, 7:20 pm I have a Polaris 4 wheeler. When my battery died, it was similar to yours. Running till it didn't and then nothing. Try to jump

Thx for the info. I had planned on checking the battery tomorrow. It's a real PIA to get to so I don't know how much luck I'll have.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”