Day 68 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 68 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

It was such a nice day, I decided to hit the woods behind the house. Two does were in the combined bean field
hovering up waste beans & headed to the west section of woods as I cut across the field on my 4-wheeler. I
started through the woods to my spot & jumped a fox at 12:45. It ran to a large tree & started up. I took a rest
on a 3” sapling & followed it in the scope hoping it would stop, which it did several times. Each time it stopped,
there were twigs & branches blocking he shot. In normal squirrel behavior, it moved to the backside of the tree
& I lost sight of it. I watched until 13:10 with no sighting. If it had moved in the tops, I would have seen it so I
think it went down the backside & went deeper into the woods keeping the tree between us.

I sat down at 13:15, temp 66, sunny, clear blue skies, & breezy. At 15:00, I was considering heading home when
a red-tail flew in from the SW & landed in a tree about 30 yards to my right. It took off real quickly but at 15:05,
a Coopers flew past me left-to-right & landed in a tree in front of me at 10 yards. That was all the action for the
day & I headed in at 15:30 with the temp up to 68.

This rub was about 40 yards due south of where I was sitting. I found several thumb-sized saplings
that were absolutely shredded with the tops twisted off. There must be at least 1 bad-assed buck traveling these
woods.
11-07 001.jpg
Does anyone have a clue what caused this shredding? There are no tine marks or claw mark or any
other type of sign that would indicate what happened. The top was about 6’ up. I have absolutely no idea what
did the damage. I though maybe lightening but there are no singes or burn marks. I have seen trees hit gy lightening in
Florida & they were splintered & shattered.
11-07 002.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”