Days 66 & 67 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Days 66 & 67 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 66 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

I got into a woods I had never hunted before with overcast skies, windy, & a temp of 64 at 13:00.
I found a spot, sat down & waited & waited & waited. Finally, at 14:45, I had out waited myself
& headed in, temp still 64. I had 2 old bushies that I wanted to get pressure cooked & picked
today. I plan on hitting “my” deer woods tomorrow afternoon. It’s been 2 weeks since I swapped
out the trail cam card & I’m hoping to see some bucks.

Day 67 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Another gorgeous fall day to be in the woods, Clear blue skies, sunny, a very slight breeze, & a
temp of 69 when I sat down at 12:26. The wind picked up around 13:30 & it was pretty gusty.
At 14:42, a fox moved through the underbrush to my left & disappeared. At 14:50, another showed
up further to my left & went up a tree about 20’ & just hung there. I usually won’t take a shot that
long but decided to go ahead. At the shot, the bushy dropped like it’s hot. I went to pick it up &
looked & looked & looked some more. I even went back to my chair, sat down, & replayed the shot
in my mind. I went back & still couldn’t find it. I was just about to give up figuring that I had missed
& the squirrel just dropped to the ground & took off. At 15:20, I walked around a large tree & found
a blood trail which lead to a tree that was hollow at the base. From what I had seen, I felt sure that
it had crawled into the tree & died so I reached in to grab it & pull it out. Luckily, I didn’t grab it as
it would have ate my hand up!! I heard a noise on the other side of the tree, looked, & the squirrel
was trying to exit stage left. It saw me & went back into the tree. I used a stick to try & force it out
but the best I could do was move its tail to the hole so I could grab it. The big, old male was not happy.
The shot was the worst of this season & probably the last several seasons. I was surprised that it was
fairly easy to clean. I expected a real mess. I hate to lose any game that I shoot & will go to great
lengths to retrieve it. Patience & perseverance paid off this time.
11-06 001.jpg
11-06 002.jpg
11-06 003.jpg
11-06 004.jpg

While looking for the bushy, I noticed 4 rubs, probably 2+ weeks old & a fairly fresh scrape.
11-06 005.jpg
11-06 006.jpg
11-06 007.jpg
11-06 008.jpg
11-06 009.jpg

I also found a large, fresh scrape fairly close to my deer blind. The trail cam had no bucks
but plenty of does.
11-06 010.jpg
I headed home at 16:00. The temp had dropped all the way down to 68.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Days 66 & 67 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by jsh909 »

The historical rub on that biggest tree has been used for a decent amount of years. I bet you got a nice 4 or 5 year old running around in there

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”