Days 56 & 64 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Days 56 & 64 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 56 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

It was 45, overcast & calm but the air was damp when I set up at 12:55 this afternoon.
As I walked back, I was greeted by a red-shoulder who screamed at me twice before
taking wing. At 14:52, I saw a fox in the trees at the north edge of the east woods. I
watched it moving from tree to tree for 15 mins. It did get within range but didn’t offer
a shot. I watched it move back to the edge & disappear. I decided to easy to the edge
as I thought it might have gone into the combine field to feed but no luck. At 15:25, it
started to mist so I headed to the truck. The temp was now 43 & the mist got harder.

Not sure when or if I’ll get out again.

Day 64 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

It was a beautiful afternoon to be in the woods. I was ready to go at 12:38 with the temp
at 55, sunny, clear blue skies, & a slight breeze. At 12:40, a fox worked its way through
a deadfall at the top of the ridge. I thought about trying to slip up on it but that would
have been like walking over a field of rice krispies cover with corn flakes. I’m not sure if
it was the same 1 but, at 12:50, a bushy came down a tree & moved east. It stopped behind
a fallen limb & made the mistake of sticking its head up. It was a big, old female. At 13:08,
1 showed up in front of me but never gave me a shot. At 13:16, another showed up on my
left with no shot.

At 13:50, I saw a fox moving in the dead fall at the top of the ridge. About 2 minutes later, I
spotted 1 in the tree tops. I thought it was the 1 from the dead fall & started watching it.
Turns out that the deadfall squirrel was still in the deadfall & this was a different 1. I watched
it moving through the tops but there was always something in the way. It finally moved into an
opening but I missed. It started scolding like crazy &, instead of moving away, it moved towards
me. I followed it in the scope &, at 14:10, it finally made a fatal mistake. It was a big, old male.

At 14:47, I saw something on top of a small deadfall in front & to my right. I wasn’t sure what it
was at 1st but then realized it was a bushy sitting up on its hind legs with its back to me, a perfect
set-up for a shot if it wasn’t for the broken sapling hanging down between us. Finally, at 14:56, it
gave me what I thought was a clear shot but a twig blew up the .17. Instead of hauling tail, it
moved behind the deadfall & stuck its head up. I was able to move to the edge of my chair &
added a real young female to the bag.

I had planned on leaving when it was 16:00 or when I hit a triple, my 1st of this year. Since it was
only 15:00, I decided to stay a bit long & try for a home run.

I left at 15:30 with everything the same weather wise except if was 64 & a little windy. I plan to
hit “my” primary turkey woods in the morning but my lower back has been barking at me. I hope
a few hours on a heating pad this evening will remedy that problem.
11-03 001.jpg
11-03 002.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Days 56 & 64 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by soiltester »

Great goin' :thumbup:

Yer' pot has to B about full :shock: :o :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Days 56 & 64 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 6:43 pm Great goin' :thumbup:

Yer' pot has to B about full :shock: :o :cheers:
Thx. I usually don't hunt this late in the season but lost 4+ weeks due to health issues
& got some decent weather to try & catch up. The weather is supposed to be decent
thru Monday. I plan to get out at least twice more.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”