Days 50, 52, & 53 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Days 50, 52, & 53 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 50 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

I got set-up at 12:37 with the temp a chilly 50 with overcast skies & a strong, gusty wind. At 14:00, I took a walk through the west section of woods. After I sat back down, at 14:39, a fox moved north just inside the west woods. It stopped several times but never offered a clear shot. It ran across the opening & disappeared into the east section. The wind had picked up & I headed in at 15:30.

Day 52 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Compared to the last several days, it was a beautiful day to get into the woods behind the house.
I was ready to go at 13:22 temp of 76, sunny with partial clouds, & a breeze. At 14:27, a nice buck
walked through the woods to my left moving NE to SW. I couldn’t see enough of his rack to count
points but the main I could see was nice. I watched him move back & forth on the south side of the
woods for about 15 minutes. I cranked the scope to 9x but he never moved his head into an opening
for a good count.

The woods came alive with bird life at 16:00. There were several different species of woodpeckers
& quite a few of them. There were also a lot of jay as well as many different types of tweety birds.

I headed in at 17:00 with the temp at 77 & everything else the same.

Day 53 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

It was another beautiful afternoon to be in the woods, 75, sunny with some clouds, & windy at 12:18
in “my” deer woods. At 12:22, I saw a fox moving south in front of me at about 60 yards with no shot.
At 12:59, another bushy showed up on my left & I missed sending it up a tree. This was the same spot
where I missed the other day. A deer ran from the corn into the woods at the shot. I kept watch on
the tree &, at 13:03, 2 foxes came flying down the tree & went a few yards west. They split up with
1 continuing west & the other to my left. I watched it waiting for a shot but it went behind some trees
out of sight. I switched to the 2nd & followed it in the scope. It hopped right towards me & stopped.
It was a good sized male. The other one headed south out of sight.
23-1.jpg
23-2.jpg

At 13:25, a bushy jumped up on a tall stump. I think it was the same 1. It jumped down into the
undergrowth. I kept an eye out hoping it would head my way. At 13:32, it was in front of me for a
split second before going behind a large tree.

At 14:01, a spotless fawn ran through the woods towards me & stopped at about 10 yards looking at me.
It knew something wasn’t right but couldn’t figure out what. It trotted north & stopped at about 50
yards still trying to figure out what I was while scratching its head with its right rear foot. It finally trotted
south & then west. At 14:04, the fox ran south from near the last place I saw it. Again, no shot.

It was starting to get hot & really windy as well as the skies were getting pretty dark. I also heard some
rumblings & headed in at 14:50. The temp was 81.

I swapped out the card in my trail cam & only these 2 does showed up since last Saturday.

001.jpg
002.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Days 50, 52, & 53 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by spider316 »

Awesome read, and I thank you !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

spider316 wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 7:02 pm Awesome read, and I thank you !
Thx & you're welcome.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Yer' still addin' to the pot :thumbup:

Too bad ya' don't have more leaf drop :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: October 24th, 2020, 7:37 am Yer' still addin' to the pot :thumbup:

Too bad ya' don't have more leaf drop :banghead:
That 1st doe pic was a week ago. There are a lot more leaves down. Yesterday they were
falling like raindrops on my head.

Leaves are falling on my head
And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed
Nothing seems to fit
Those leaves are falling on my head, they keep falling
George

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”