Day 18 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 18 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

I headed back to “my” deer woods &, after changing the card in my trail cam, was set-up at 12:33,
temp of 64, windy, sunny with a lot of high white clouds. A fox showed up on my left at 12:43 &
somehow I managed to miss an easy shot.

At 13:30, I slipped to my original spot to check for cuttings but only found a few. I was back sitting
at 13:38. At 13:42, a bushy came in at about 5’ on my right & trotted west, jumping up on a large
fallen limb. It moved away from me with its back too me. I started to lift the rifle & its peripheral
vision kicked in sending it running. It jumped off the limb, ran a few feet, & jumped up about 2’ on
a small sapling. It stopped, the .17 popped, & he dropped, a big old male at about 10 yards.

Then, at 14:05, a fox showed up directly in front of me on the side of a sapling. It hit the ground &
went behind a tree giving me time to get the .17 up. It came back into view, sat on its haunches &
the .17 added another young female at about 30 yards.

At 14:42, fox #4 came in on my right & moved through the underbrush with no shot. It was starting
to get chilly as the wind picked up so I headed in at 15:20 with the weather the same except it was
61 & more windy.

When I picked up the 2 bushies, I stepped it off to see how close my estimates were. The 1st was
12 steps & the 2nd, 27 so I was pretty close.
001.jpg
002.jpg

I checked on the tree that was doing all the popping & cracking on Sat. & it was almost completely down.
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

On the way out, I found a puffball growing in the 4-wheeler trail. It wasn’t there Sat. & I plan to take pics
each time I go back just to see what the growth rate might be. That’s a .17 HMR shell.
007.JPG

The trail cam caught 2 different bucks.

TC001.jpg
TC002.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 18 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by soiltester »

And the "pot keeps thickining' plus deer hunting season is starting to look good also :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 18 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: September 19th, 2020, 7:09 am And the "pot keeps thickining' plus deer hunting season is starting to look good also :thumbup:
Every year I see decent bucks on the trail cam. Come gun season, they disappear.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”