Day 16 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 16 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

It was still pretty hazy when I left the house at 08:00 this morning, headed for “my” primary turkey woods,
as evidenced by the pic I took from the end of my driveway. A Columbus TV station did confirm that the haze
was from the west coast fires.
001.jpg

I was set-up at 08:20 with the temp at 50 & a breeze. I was glad I wore a heavier jacket. At 08:22, a 6-point
walked out of the corn into the woods & headed straight for me. It stopped at about 30 yards & worked a small
sapling for a few seconds. It spotted me & did the usual head bob but no stomp or blow. It moved up to about
20 yards looking at me. I went into freeze frame except for my eyes. About that time, an 8-point came into the
woods trailing the 6. The 6 moved NE following the same trail I just walked in on. The eight walked passed giving
me the eye. It stopped on the trail at about 50 yards. He stood there literally with out moving except to turn his
head. He always had an eye on me. Finally, at 08:37, he moved off after the 6. Both deer had small racks & were
small bodied which led me to believe they’re both 2 year olds. About a half hour later, 1 started blowing in the
woods on the opposite side of the swamp from where I was sitting.

At 08:46, a huge coon left the corn & entered the woods west of me. At 09:30, the 8 left the woods & re-entered
the corn at about the same spot as the coon. At 09:36, the 6 followed suit. They had both circled around the
swamp to the NW to get past me at a “safe” distance.

At 11:30, I was standing getting ready to head to the north side when I heard a ruckus in front on my left hand side.
A ½ grown fawn was running full tilt straight at me. I thought I would have to resort to my football days as a middle
guard & tackle it. At about 10’, I could see its eyes get really wide & the look on it’s face seemed to say: “OH CRAP!!!!”.
It took a hard turn, running past me & heading to the west at full speed.

On the way out, I found a rub right on the trail. I think 1 of this mornings bucks may have done it. It looked pretty fresh.

002.jpg

I got to the north side & dropped off the chair & camera at the truck. I slipped along the edge of the woods headed east
looking for bushies & doing a little pre-season, spring turkey scouting. I found a good spot for a blind that will take only
a little prep work. I also walked to the west section & sat inside the woods for about 20 minutes before deciding to head in.

It was 68, still hazy, & breezy when I left at 12:15. I took another pic of the sun from my driveway at 12:30 again showing
how hazy it is.

003.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”