Day 5 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 5 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

I decided that my afternoon might be better spent sitting in the woods as opposed to in front
of the TV so I headed to the woods behind the house again. It was 78, breezy, & sunny when
I set-up my primary spot at 14:25. I had decided to sit back at the pond initially & took along
a small, folding camp chair. I thought it would be easier on my back & hips instead of leaning
against a tree.

I was sitting at the pond at 14:40. I expected a lot of bugs & skeeters but there were none
except a single sweat bee that didn’t hang around. At 15:20, a fox ran around the far end of
the pond but offered no shot. At 15:40, I spotted a deer a couple of hundred yards away. I
couldn’t tell if it was a buck or a doe. At 16:00, my derriere started to argue with the camp
chair so I headed back to my main spot getting there at about 16:10. The chair was better then
standing but not by much. I don’t fit it real well if ya know what I’m sayin!! LOL

At 16:47, a fox ran across the large log in front of me from left to right. It stopped several times
but the sun kept me from getting a clear sight image in the scope. It finally moved into a shaded
area & stopped. I think he wanted to ride on the 4-wheeler & I was more than happy to provide
his transportation.

I headed in at 18:15 with the weather exactly the same as when I got into the woods except it
was a lot windier.

I have noticed something that I find odd. Usually this early in the season, I see as many bushies in
the trees as on the ground. This year, every 1 I have seen has been on the ground. I wonder if the
mast is poor this year & they have to forage more on the ground. I have only see cutting under 2
trees, 1 in each woods. Any ideas?

This pic is of the bushy & some shrooms.
001.jpg

This pic is where the fox snuck in on me the other day. The wedge directly behind the little
sapling is where is was sitting. The larger tree to the left is what he hopped up on. Then he ran
to the smaller sapling behind the tree. That’s where it stopped long enough for a shot but the sun
glared in the scope. Form there he ran across the rotted log & stopped on the big log for a split
second before disappearing. The bottom right shows the butt end of my .17 to give an idea of the
distance.
003.jpg

This pic is of my usual chair, which I fit in perfectly, & the camp chair. You can see why I wasn’t
real comfortable sitting on it.
002.jpg

Not sure when I’ll be getting out again, maybe Mon. morning with the chair saw to clear the 4-wheeler
trail & the area where I hang my trail cam. Then sit for a few hours.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 5 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by jsh909 »

Looks like a perfect foot rest for your primary chair
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

jsh909 wrote: September 6th, 2020, 3:17 am Looks like a perfect foot rest for your primary chair
That's what I thought when I looked at the pic.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

As long as ya' fit and it's comfortable :thumbup:

Hey, 1 a day is better than none :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: September 6th, 2020, 3:04 pm As long as ya' fit and it's comfortable :thumbup:

Hey, 1 a day is better than none :cheers:
I'll tell you what, that lil green camp chair don't fit so good!!!!
George

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”