Took a young man coyote calling for his first time!

Techniques and calls.
derbyacresbob

Took a young man coyote calling for his first time!

Post by derbyacresbob »

Yesterday I took a 17 year old young man coyote calling with me and we had a great day. We hunted from daylight till dark, it was Seth's first coyote calling hunt.

On the first stand I missed two long shots on coyotes with my 22-250. I was laying prone using a bi-pod. It probable wasn't the rifles fault, but now I need to shoot it at paper again just to make sure. 99% of the time when I lose confidence in my rifle and then shoot it at paper it is hitting right were it is supposed to. LOL

On the second stand I had Seth laying down about 15 yards from my Foxpro with a shotgun. I was laying down with my rifle about 70 yards above and back behind Seth.

I started out with "Coyote Pair" sound and got a immediate challenge back from some coyotes about 600 yards away. So I challenged them back with "Male Coyote Challenge 4" sound and then switched to "Pup Distress 3".

I was watching in the direction the coyote challenges came from and within a minute or less I saw a coyote headed our way. When that coyote got in the sunlight I could see there was two of them and they were running full blast for Seth and my Foxpro.

These two coyotes covered that last 300 yards in no time at all. Seth sat up to shoot them just about 5 seconds after he first saw them. Seth killed the first one on the first shot and killed the second one on the 3rd shot.
ImageIMG_9110 by , on Flickr

I think I was more excited than Seth was because he couldn't see them coming from way out there like I could.

Seth killed another coyote driving to our next stand with his 223.

We called for about 5 or 6 hours and didn't call in any coyotes. We had lots of coyotes calling back at us but most of them were 1-1/2 to 3 miles away from us.

As we were walking in on a stand Seth spotted a coyote and shot it about 100 yards away with his 223. I told him he just ruined that stand. LOL
ImageIMG_9167 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_9138 by , on Flickr

Late in the afternoon we were calling off of a big ridge top with huge canyons on both side. After calling for 8 to 10 minutes I saw a coyote on top of the ridge about 200 yards out.

It wasn't moving so I switched sounds to "Vole Squeaks" on lower volume. The coyote started heading our way very slowly like a cat.

This coyote probable stopped 15 times in the next 5 minutes but finally got within about 30 yards of Seth and his shotgun.
ImageIMG_9191 by , on Flickr

I wish I would have taken another 2 or 3 pictures of this coyote because I would have got a picture of Seth's shotgun load making impact.
ImageIMG_9210 by , on Flickr

Seth ended up killing 5 coyotes yesterday and it was the most fun calling coyotes I have had in a while.
Foxpro Field Staff
crow

Re: Took a young man coyote calling for his first time!

Post by crow »

Congrats to Seth on his double and the other coyotes, thats a great first day. I would bet heart rates and blood pressure went up a couple of notches.

Good Job taking the time to take the young Man on his first calling hunt.
And as always really Nice pic's of the hunt.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Incredible job on taking him out for an introduction to coyotes. He does realize it wasn't a "typical" day though right, good God we're lucky to see 5 in a season, congrats to you both !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

WWWHHHOOOPPPPEEEEEE .. Congrats you both and a great day for Seth and the deer population and other game animals !!
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Post by 935 »

Great job. Both of you.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

I really enjoy your hunts and the pictures are amazing. I've taken my grandson's on some hunts but they have not connected on a kill yet. It's great to encourage young folks to spend time outdoors not just to take an animal, but study the habitat and habits of various game, and their interactions. Having time to decompress from daily life, getting away from their electronic gizmos for a time is valuable.

Keep up the posts!
Don
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats on a job well done, Bob! Looks like Seth may be hooked. Great pictures!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

As always I love reading about your hunts and amazing pictures

Love hunting with the younger generation and helping them in the outdoors. He won’t ever forget it
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Predator Calling”