Problems w/ Environ-Metal Products

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
decoykrvr

Problems w/ Environ-Metal Products

Post by decoykrvr »

I recently returned from a Western teal/ dove shoot and arrived at our house out west to discover a real problem. Since our stay during turkey season, the house had acquired a mouse which destroyed a small fortune in Hevi-Shot shells, esp. the Classic Double loads in sub-gauges and some turkey shells. I was dumbfounded until I remembered that Environ-Metal was using flax seed as the filler in several of their loads, a fact not lost on the mouse. We acquired metal 30 cal, ammo cans for future storage of the "mouse attractive" shells. I guess, "We learn by doing", and the more I deal with Hevi-Shot products, the more I'm learning to avoid them.
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Problems w/ Environ-Metal Products

Post by Samm4770 »

Damn thats a sharp stick in the eye!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Oh man, that's gotta hurt.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Yeah that’s no fun. Make a person sick!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

We recovered the shot and now have to separate it by size and composition. I killed a lot of gobblers w/ that dumb-bell, odd shaped hevi-shot which Environ=metal claims is more aerodynamic than round spheres, but that's a whole different story. All I know is that it's a bitch to separate which is I guess why I've opened Hevi-Shot turkey shells and found 3-4 different size/weight shot, and they weren't Mag-Blend shells. I remember when a packer tried using Pop Corn as a biodegradable substitute for the foam peanuts, and evidently didn't figure on the potential windfall for rodents. Environ-metal might want to rethink their flax seed shot shell filler. No, it makes too much sense!!
crow

Post by crow »

:LMAO: "and they weren't mag blend shells"

Several years ago we started finding shiny horse shoe nails in the dog food bowl in the kitchen, then started finding dog food in the little boxes of nails in the work truck,
went on all winter.

when doing spring cleaning found 7-8 little piles (stashes) of dog food and horse shoe nails up in the attic. been here over 30 years and this was the only time had anything like that happen.

Have heard of western packrats trading items, not sure if an eastern deer mouse would do this or what it was. Never had gerbils or hamsters in the house
aristico

Post by aristico »

You are blaming Hevi because a mouse it ur shells? Ok

Next time get the mouse proof shells...
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I've been hunting, buying and storing ammo for almost 60 years and this is the first incident I've ever experienced with rodents eating my shells which has necessitated the use of rodent proof containers. I hope this post potentially alleviates this costly problem for others in the future. "It's always something!"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

crow wrote: September 30th, 2022, 8:28 am :LMAO: "and they weren't mag blend shells"

Several years ago we started finding shiny horse shoe nails in the dog food bowl in the kitchen, then started finding dog food in the little boxes of nails in the work truck,
went on all winter.

when doing spring cleaning found 7-8 little piles (stashes) of dog food and horse shoe nails up in the attic. been here over 30 years and this was the only time had anything like that happen.

Have heard of western packrats trading items, not sure if an eastern deer mouse would do this or what it was. Never had gerbils or hamsters in the house
That’s pretty cool

I’ve never heard of that before but nothing surprises me anymore after 80million people voted for MAP Joe
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”