Primer shortage

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
decoykrvr

Primer shortage

Post by decoykrvr »

Industry insiders have told me that the primer shortage and availability to the public will continue until all of the commercial and military demands for factory loaded ammunition are met, which at this point is indefinite. The situation at this point is so dire that a local group of shooters, who primarily shoot 9 mm and 45, have developed a methodology to deprime cases, harvest the primers, resize and remove the primer strike indent, and reprime w/ a home-made priming mixture which they have developed and tested to minimize the pressure curve variables. These "primer gurus" are primarily retired govt. scientist and wizards who work on their own clock in this labor and time consuming endeavor and shoot both for recreation and competition. I've seen ammo and component shortages before, but nothing to this extent.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Primer shortage

Post by Hoobilly »

Yep it’s only gonna get worse from what I can tell

Unfortunate

That has to be a cool group of guys to do this on their own
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Stolen elections have consequences.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

It's not just primers that are in short supply. Follow the money. Hoarding and the demand is simply higher for metallic cartridges and that's what factories are geared up for. Powder manufacturers are also concentrating on powder production for metallic cartridge manufacturers. Recreational shotgunners and handloaders/reloaders are far down the list. We are a blip on the supply chain. During pre-shortage days, ever wonder why .410 and 28 ga. shells cost more than 12 when less shot and powder are used? Supply and demand. The demand outstrips the supply as the mfg's produced fewer of them. We are experiencing the rainy day that many weren't prepared for. Over the years some here have stressed buying components before the season and keeping on hand an adequate supply. My biggest concern was the shutting down of the TSS supply from China and whose to say that won't happen? Get it while you can. Gil
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

After the comrade Klinton years I learned to NEVER again leave a gun store empty handed. I also decided to never order less than 5k primers at a time or 5lbs of powder at a time or less than 3k 9mm/224 bullets at a time. As such I am very well situated to reload my favorite HG and rifle rounds for years.
Only thing I am still buying in bulk is 22lr when ever I find them for under .10c a round, I buy 2500 minimum. Norma Ammo had Norma Tac-22 on sale no limit for IIRC under $40 per 500 with free shipping on orders over $150. I ordered 5k rounds. then a few days later ordered 5k more. 22lr ammo IMO isn't going to go down much below .8c per round this year or any time soon. My boys and I easily burn threw 1k -1.5k rounds an outing so yeah I buy all the 22lr I can when at or below .8c a round.

Tried to tell all my friends who reload to do the same but they all said I was crazy and WAAAAAY over reacting. Now I have friends who have $1k's tied up in reloading gear they can't use as they don't have primers or powder. Same with my friends who shoot a lot but don't reload. Walked into Cabela's when Trump was in office and they had literally PALLET's full of Herter's MIUSA 115/9mm for $150/1k W/tax OTD and I bought a BUTT load called my friends all of them and said get in here ASAP and stock up you never know the future ESPECIALLY since the post nObama ammo scare. None listened and even called me a fool quickly parting with his money.
Now I regularly get calls from friends trying to buy 9mm and 223 for what I paid and I say sorry but no, I'm not going to sell anything that is same as new for 40% less than it costs for me to replace it. New brass cased 115/9mm is costing over .40c a round and they want me to sell it to them for what I paid .17c a round. I was decent and offered to sell it at a decent discount and better price than they will likely get for a LOOOOONG time and they all declined and were none to happy with me.
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

Uncle Obammy screwed me . I haven't forgotten ! I buy til it hurts and will never have to buy rifle stuff again . Shotgun ( doves & ducks and sporting )stuff I can carry on for 3 years or so and may not have to have more . The TSS may be a lil low but I do have multiple sources. People thought I was crazy.... who's whining now and for the last couple years actually ...
The thing that pisses me off is a guy that shoots as much doves as I do ( 3- 5 Flats a year ) calls me and wants ONE Friggin flat at a time . Carry on my stupid friend !
10th Legion legionare !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

2nd100 wrote: April 17th, 2022, 9:28 pm Uncle Obammy screwed me . I haven't forgotten ! I buy til it hurts and will never have to buy rifle stuff again . Shotgun ( doves & ducks and sporting )stuff I can carry on for 3 years or so and may not have to have more . The TSS may be a lil low but I do have multiple sources. People thought I was crazy.... who's whining now and for the last couple years actually ...
The thing that pisses me off is a guy that shoots as much doves as I do ( 3- 5 Flats a year ) calls me and wants ONE Friggin flat at a time . Carry on my stupid friend !
What kills me is people who load their own and yet want to buy components during turkey season
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Samm4770 »

hoobilly wrote: April 17th, 2022, 9:34 pm
2nd100 wrote: April 17th, 2022, 9:28 pm Uncle Obammy screwed me . I haven't forgotten ! I buy til it hurts and will never have to buy rifle stuff again . Shotgun ( doves & ducks and sporting )stuff I can carry on for 3 years or so and may not have to have more . The TSS may be a lil low but I do have multiple sources. People thought I was crazy.... who's whining now and for the last couple years actually ...
What kills me is people who load their own and yet want to buy components during turkey season
Haha better late then never lol. Some people learn
The hard way

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”