feet, knees and butts

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: feet, knees and butts

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Old thread, but since it was resurrected -

I usually wear a vest with a cushion and I use it whenever I sit down against a tree. But I’ll move often wherever and however I think I need to, and I’ll shed the vest anytime I need to crawl. This year I have killed 3 while wearing the vest, 2 after shedding it. 1 standing, 1 kneeling, 1 prone, and 2 sitting on a cushion.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I am usually always sitting when I kill turkeys. It is a lot easier to get a good rest out of the truck window when you are sitting! But on the other hand I have shot them standing leaning across the bed of my truck!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
I smell what yer steppin’ in!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
tnanh

Post by tnanh »

gophert wrote: February 4th, 2015, 11:44 am I never go into the woods "RAW DOG". I always have my vest on and put the cushin down unless I'm crawling. I shot one 2 years ago from the knees, and one from one knee, but most are sitting from a cushin. Here in TN, you go without a cushin, you will find yourself on a rock and end up being there way too long.
Where I hunt in Tennessee there are a LOT of timber rattlers. Very big ones. I do sit on a fat boy cushion sometimes but prefer to stand.
toasty

Post by toasty »

I would bet most birds I have killed have been on my feet or knees and have killed a couple laying down. I killed one last Thursday laying on my belly. I snuck over a bluff to find they were working up to me. I lay on my belly as I couldn't move or they would have seen me. I waiting until about 8 toms were in view a popped the best tom I saw. 9" beard, 7/8" spurs, and weighed 21lbs which is really heavy for a winter utah rio merriam hybrid turkey.

Prohunter3509

Post by Prohunter3509 »

I mostly set bare butt to but don't forget about no shoulders under that pine straw
RBMTDJager

Post by RBMTDJager »

Need two new hips so hunting without a cushion is not an option. If at all possible for the last 5 seasons been using a Browning Turkey chair which is an absolute hunt saver as I can sit rock still for as long as I need to. I also use a Tidewe Turkey vest with built in back rest seat when I'm certain I'll be running and gunning not quite as comfy as a turkey chair but it works very well.

Shot turkeys form just about any possible position from standing to laying prone on my belly, on knees, and from laying on my left side even laying flat on my back.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

RBMTDJager wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:39 pm Need two new hips so hunting without a cushion is not an option. If at all possible for the last 5 seasons been using a Browning Turkey chair which is an absolute hunt saver as I can sit rock still for as long as I need to. I also use a Tidewe Turkey vest with built in back rest seat when I'm certain I'll be running and gunning not quite as comfy as a turkey chair but it works very well.

Shot turkeys form just about any possible position from standing to laying prone on my belly, on knees, and from laying on my left side even laying flat on my back.
I’ve never shot one laying on my back before
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
crow

Post by crow »

hoobilly wrote: April 17th, 2022, 8:43 am
RBMTDJager wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:39 pm Need two new hips so hunting without a cushion is not an option. If at all possible for the last 5 seasons been using a Browning Turkey chair which is an absolute hunt saver as I can sit rock still for as long as I need to. I also use a Tidewe Turkey vest with built in back rest seat when I'm certain I'll be running and gunning not quite as comfy as a turkey chair but it works very well.

Try it sometime

I have found it to be the steadiest position for shooting roosted turkeys, just have to be quick about rolling out of the way so they don't fall on you
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

crow wrote: April 17th, 2022, 9:36 am
hoobilly wrote: April 17th, 2022, 8:43 am

Try it sometime

I have found it to be the steadiest position for shooting roosted turkeys, just have to be quick about rolling out of the way so they don't fall on you
I’m so glad I finished my coffee before reading this
Hot coffee snot rockets suck! :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
crow

Post by crow »

:LMAO:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Kylimblifter

Post by Kylimblifter »

This is the only reason I still use a vest is because I like to have a seat cushion. That being said I’ve noticed in recent years I shoot probably 40% of my birds standing up. I love the advantage of standing behind a tree and using it as a rest in the thick hilly woods that I hunt. I try to convince my hunting partners to stand in the thick stuff but they almost never do. And it cost two buddies a bird each that I can think of off the top of my head last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Hunt Strategies”