Cracking the code to a strut zone gobbler?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Dtrkyman

Re: Cracking the code to a strut zone gobbler?

Post by Dtrkyman »

Killing a stubborn strut zone bird is very rewarding, I think it is the next best to calling one. Also those hot to trot turkeys are the easiest to kill anyway, they just happen to be fun!

I feel like I pulled the wool over ones eyes when I smash one that thinks he runs the place! Also do not give up if he leaves, many times he will wind up in there again leter in the day!
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Clydetaylor wrote: March 18th, 2019, 12:33 pm Jim I go with sometimes you have to do what you have to do to kill a aggravating bird. Worst part is when he's gone you won't get to dream about killing him anymore. I've had a few that I missed when they were gone.
I missed a bird after a misfire after chasing him for 3 three years. Most aggravating turkey I ever hunted, wouldnt gobble until way after shooting light and ran a huge circuit of greenfields over multiple days. My brother missed him too like he was a ghost. We lost the lease so thats how the story ended. I am glad I never killed the bastard. He earned it. I still think about how I could kill him If I had one more day......
shaman

Post by shaman »

First off, I am dying to see how this story turned out.
Second: Cut N' Run, don't I know you from the T&TH site?
Third: If this is who I think it is, then you'll know that I almost killed myself going after one of these Great White Whales years ago. The short version is I found a gob strutting out behind an old barn and spent the whole season trying to ambush him. I had one shooting opportunity and blew it; I'd made myself so sick that couldn't hold the shotgun steady.

My advice up until my run-in with Mister Natural would have been to stake out the strut zone and wait. What I do isn't quite what I'd call ambushing, because I do call. I just stay focused. What got me into trouble with Mister Natural was I stayed to him too long and didn't pay attention to myself.

It's now been 17 years since I had my run-in with that gobbler. The barn in the story got damaged in a 2008 twister and it is falling in. I hunted out of it several times and managed to kill a couple of the sons of Ol' Natural.
I probably could set up there again, if I wanted to. However, it's kind of beating a dead horse; that bird got the best of me and no amount of killing his great grandsons is going to change what happened.

Now 40 seasons into this, I can say that although going after Moby Dick makes for good reading, it does nothing for a man's soul.

BTW: Here's the link to the article Mister Natural and the incident at Broken Corners
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to “Hunt Strategies”