Patience kills turkeys

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
DBLGBL

Re: Patience kills turkeys

Post by DBLGBL »

Photoshop is great software no :lol: :lol:
aristico

Post by aristico »

Its shooting them in the face not patience that kills them...
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Guesswho,

Did you take the rags and cleaning supplies out of that bucket before you put your spurs in it? :toothy7: :D
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Gobbler wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 6:08 pm Guesswho,

Did you take the rags and cleaning supplies out of that bucket before you put your spurs in it? :toothy7: :D
Yep, and replaced them with a balloon. The cleaning supplies were to heavy.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

If you have a lot of space to hunt, a short time to hunt and/or limited knowledge of the area you can afford that aggressive approach searching for that one gobbler in the area ready to die. In the same vein as the earlier post, I can sometimes love the “aggressive “ hunter; show up, owl, Yelp and cutt, no response and onward...leaving me and hopefully the gobbler in peace. However I do also believe that there is a time and place to be more aggressive. Our season in MS starts early in the flock breakup/breeding seasons. Gobblers gobble on the limb, fly down shut up and strutt. I’ve found the percentages in running and gunning aggressive style tactics just too low to be consistent. Now two to three weeks in? Maybe a different story.... This is were your knowledge of an area has benefited me: get in a good area, be subtle and listen. I’ve never had much luck truly calling a gobbler and flock of hens with a challenge but have had success with a little softer approach. Of course, if he’s roaring within earshot I’m thrilled to aggressively cut the distance and close the deal-anytime!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

Sometimes you just have to get aggressive. I worked a gobbler a few years ago for over 3 hours and he never got closer than about 100 yards. I finally said "ol' boy, I'm either gonna run you off or kill you". He was in a low spot at the crest of a hill. I didn't think he could see me, and I got up and ran to a tree that was wide enough to hide behind, and then another and another till I got within about 40 yards. I almost didn't get away with it. He popped his head up when I stopped at the last tree. I got ready and when he did it again I fired. Got him.
"I live in America, why do I have to press 1 for English?"
Paulyoung

Post by Paulyoung »

I am sooooo sick of yahoos hooting their owl calls non stop at 0 dark-thirty I could scream!!! -Paul
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Paulyoung wrote: April 10th, 2021, 8:43 am I am sooooo sick of yahoos hooting their owl calls non stop at 0 dark-thirty I could scream!!! -Paul
But, but, but that’s how I saw them do it on TV.

It amazes me at some peoples approach to turkey hunting. All you can do is sit there and think please go away.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

Yep, I owl hoot a little when I don't hear one gobble on his own but, not as much as some do. Another thing they do on the videos sometimes is call a lot. Even when the bird is in range. Surprises me they get away with it.
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

Patience does kill turkeys thats been proven over and over . Having lost land and low turkey numbers ive had to slow down and sit more ... But I still will go in sit a while without a answer . although id rather have one jump on a locator call and tell me he wants to play . and yelp the woods up and kill them after a heated exchange . But sneaking in will get them shot also .
10th Legion legionare !
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

Patience and I try to not overcall either. Some birds will hang up big time. I hunted with a guy years ago some, and he loved to call. Probably wore out a diaphragm call every week.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I don't call much and usually give a bird plenty of time to come in. I have worked a few birds for a 2 or 3 hours. Sometimes it works.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

Patient turkey hunters spook less turkeys... patient turkey hunters also kill less turkeys. Not saying the patient turkey hunter won't tag out in he or she's state but a patient turkey hunter probably will not tag out in 5 States
El Sicario
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

appalachianassassin wrote: April 19th, 2021, 8:55 pm Patient turkey hunters spook less turkeys... patient turkey hunters also kill less turkeys. Not saying the patient turkey hunter won't tag out in he or she's state but a patient turkey hunter probably will not tag out in 5 States
Yeah, I agree with that. I have got up and moved closer to them too. Belly "commando" style a few times.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

The older I get, the easier it is to wait out a bird. Throw in a couple of naps, and I'll sit on a bird for 8+ hours.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote: April 20th, 2021, 10:34 am The older I get, the easier it is to wait out a bird. Throw in a couple of naps, and I'll sit on a bird for 8+ hours.
I would have to die sitting against a tree to wait on a bird even half that long. I suppose there are worse places to die.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hobbes_mobile wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:23 am
Stinky J Picklestein wrote: April 20th, 2021, 10:34 am The older I get, the easier it is to wait out a bird. Throw in a couple of naps, and I'll sit on a bird for 8+ hours.
I would have to die sitting against a tree to wait on a bird even half that long. I suppose there are worse places to die.
It does get a little chilly.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:40 am
I don't think falling asleep and waking up chilled at midnight counts :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

soiltester wrote: April 20th, 2021, 12:04 pm
Stinky J Picklestein wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:40 am

I don't think falling asleep and waking up chilled at midnight counts :LMAO:
I'm not going to say that it's never happened...
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

Sitting in the same spot for hrs is just plain boring. That's called deer hunting. I like to move around. I like to call. As for only killing only the one that wants to die we will have to agree to disagree. Mike
WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

to each his own
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

Nice bucket, Guesswho.
quavodus

Post by quavodus »

I've got to say sometimes the most aggressive hunters kill the most birds.
Kylimblifter

Post by Kylimblifter »

I agree that patience kills turkeys no doubt, but so does being aggressive a lot of the time if you know what you’re doing. For me it’s all preference. I would much rather not kill a bird on a given day than sit by a tree for 4 hours and have one come walking in and shoot him. Nothing against either style because I know both are very effective. I just prefer to hunt turkeys by moving around and playing the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Well I think our differences are really just trivial. While I’m acknowledging that patience kills I don’t sit all day in one spot and “will” one into range either. I’m as aggressive as the situation calls for and that changes situation to situation. If dead turkeys were my only endpoint there are methods much simpler than trying to talk him into range. If you are hunting 5 states and limiting out you are also not spending long in one place and are in search of the Turkey that is susceptible to your method ie “ready to die”-no insult intended. However if you are limited to one state and a finite amount of acreage then too aggressive approach esp at the wrong time means maybe one successful hunt (or not) and a lot of quiet mornings later. Whether you see your quarry or not, he may have seen you and is reacting .
We are more alike than different and how we react is according to the info the bird is providing us. Most of us enjoy some level of success therefore we’re all correct. I certainly mean no insult to any hunter but in the end I stand by my belief: some days I’m patiently aggressive, others I’m aggressively patient….
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)

Return to “Hunt Strategies”