Weird shock gobble calls

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
robbyfowler6

Weird shock gobble calls

Post by robbyfowler6 »

Anybody heard of regular sports coach’s whistles being used to shock gobble turkeys? I heard about using dog whistles but apparently sometimes they can’t hear that high of frequencies???
Outdoorsmen

Re: Weird shock gobble calls

Post by Outdoorsmen »

Yes the fox40 whistle. I've often thought of seeing what an air horn would do.
robbyfowler6

Post by robbyfowler6 »

Outdoorsmen wrote: May 15th, 2021, 1:59 pm Yes the fox40 whistle. I've often thought of seeing what an air horn would do.
The air horn is another reason why I thought of the whistle.. someone said the air horn worked well which made me try to think of other loud disruptive things to use.. guess you’ll never know till you try it
crow

Post by crow »

Outdoorsmen wrote: May 15th, 2021, 1:59 pm Yes the fox40 whistle. I've often thought of seeing what an air horn would do.

Those fox40's are brutal, If I don't plug my ears I can't hear anything for 10 minutes after blowing it.
never tried them for gobblers, have carried them as an emergency whistle some places I hunt.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Growing up I can remember my dad going through all his locator calls, with the last one being the car horn.
I am not saying it worked all the time, but I do remember turkeys gobbling to it a time or two. LOL!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The most expensive and heaviest shock gobble device I've heard has been an Abram tank's 120 mm smoothbore when it fires in the distance. Gil
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

That tank is a B-tch to haul around in the woods....
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

The most glorious glorious shock gobble call I’ve heard is the bugles on Camp Robinson playing Revile at 0600 in the morning as the flag is raised. Heard the bugles go off many mornings, but only once has it elicited a gobble. The time it did was amazing.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

MFL205 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 1:42 pm That tank is a B-tch to haul around in the woods....
It pretty much can go where it wants.
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

Good point...
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Yelling you dumb b*tch at a cow as she crashes into a gate on my farm has worked a time or two
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Tripplebeards

Post by Tripplebeards »

The noon siren in two different small towns I hunt have consistently caused shock gobbles.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Had a goose fly overhead honking his head off, and that caused one to fire off.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

The goose call worked well back when I was a heathen and didnt want anyone knowing someone was there trying to get a turkey to gobble .....
Hawk screams work exceptionally well in Floridia on the 3 propertues I regularly hunt. Uneven do a pilated woodpecker on a Woodhaven real hawk .
Cows lowing seem to work well and a jackass blaying does also . all these work for easterns and ochos . Anything bseems to work for a Merriam or a Rio !
10th Legion legionare !
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Hunters on a local river will sometimes use an air horn. They work, too. Last bird I shot, the shot caused another bird about about 400 yards away to gobble. I've heard birds shock gobble to swamp mallards.

Post by 935 »

The first tom I ever killed shock gobbled to a real pileated woodpecker. I bought a Knight and Hale woodpecker call soon after, thinking I was on to something. I haven't heard a pileated woodpecker call make a bird gobble since. Not from me, not from a real woodpecker.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

I use a short reed goose call. When driving around we use an elk bugle which works great in the evening. It's classified as weird sine I live in Ohio. If the bugle don't work we use car horn.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Years ago my son and I were building a wooden stand in a huge pecan tree in a creek bottom. While hammering we hear gobbles, the we ran a chain saw and two more gobbles. In time while still hammering we see two jakes walk in to about 50 yards curious as to what was going on in their woods.
Don
youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

Back in the 80's I had an old IH Scout truck that had alot of rust. I would take a lug wrench and hit the side of the bed and turkeys would gobble for miles.

God Bless, Louis
coconut

Post by coconut »

I leased a farm from a fellow that had a few rental mobile homes on the farm. I guess they started partying Saturday night and played rap music until about mid morning on Sunday. The place had turkeys everywhere and they would often gobble to the beat.
Took several friends to that farm over the years it always made for great hunting stories.
Had to walk right past one trailer house to access a field in the back. Pretty sure the renter was a unauthorized pharmacist because there was always traffic in and out with some shady looking folks. Was always very creepy to walk through there before daylight.
FLGobstopper

Post by FLGobstopper »

My son can sometimes have pretty bad allergies in the spring woods. A few years back when he was 10 or 11 we were slipping through an area of a WMA we had never been because we had heard a few birds several hundred yards away on the roost. Took us a while to cross some really thick swampy stuff and get back into the presumed area of where the birds might be. My son kept sneezing and coughing occasionally and like a good dad I kept getting on to him for making too much noise and telling him to cough and sneeze into his sleeve. It had been over an hour since we heard any turkeys and I was growing a little frustrated with our predicament because I also then found us turned around and questioning which way to go to get out of there without getting lost in the swamp.

Just about the time I realize we might be lost my son goes off on a sneezing and coughing fit as loud as he could. About mid way through his ordeal and my pleading for him to be quiet a gobbler fires off about 150 yds away. Long story short he ended up killing that bird with me right over his shoulder as the bird struts down a fire line we hadn't seen. So, not only did we get the bird but he also showed us the way out of the woods by the fire line.

Coughing and sneezing, try it, it works!
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Short reed goose call and wood duck call seem to work well. It also keeps you under the radar from the other hunters in the area.
JerseyGobbler

Post by JerseyGobbler »

For some reason the goose call has never worked for me. Maybe because I have so many geese in the area all year?? Not sure.
TRKYMAN

Post by TRKYMAN »

I have never heard of a whistle being used but I have had turkeys fire off to geese flying over, planes, and semi trucks.
Turkeys
Waterfowl
Deer
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

JerseyGobbler wrote: February 13th, 2022, 1:53 am For some reason the goose call has never worked for me. Maybe because I have so many geese in the area all year?? Not sure.
I think it just depends on the bird. We are covered in geese here in Ohio and it still works.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”