Question on preserving feet

General discussion on getting your trophy preserved & for Taxidermist to show their work
Toneloc

Question on preserving feet

Post by Toneloc »

Any tips on how to prevent air bubbles? I’ve noticed that over time, an air gap forms and the clear scaley outer layer separates from the red meat underneath.

Here’s a leg from last year that shows what I’m talking about. My son killed a nice one and is after me to find out if there is some way to prevent that.
15DB468C-DFD0-4FEE-A0A6-FB2FED1174D4.jpeg
BA22187E-9FFF-47EB-91BE-703121A9EA6F.jpeg
ol bob

Re: Question on preserving feet

Post by ol bob »

All I use is borax had some from 5 years ago still look great.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Same as above mine have lasted for quite awhile
Toneloc

Post by Toneloc »

Yeah that’s all I used on mine as well. Not sure why getting the the air gaps. Have some from a couple years ago that aren’t quite as bad...but still have some of the air gaps.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

They shrink from drying and will not remain plump/ fleshy without injecting them. The skin beneath the scales will dry and shrink tight to the bone but the scales won't so the skin pulls away from the scales.

There are preservatives but they'll still shrink some. An epoxy will fill them and prevent shrinking but will require some effort and a little money. It can be messy. Borax does not prevent them from shrinking.

Google "injecting turkey feet". There should be some info there.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

For really special ones (kid’s first, personal best,etc) you could consider metal clad preservation. It’s pricey, but end result is fine. I used Ironclad Metal Effects.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Toneloc

Post by Toneloc »

Thanks guys! I’ll check out the injecting info. Those metal clad are awesome! Mind me asking how much those set you back? Showed those to him and he’s loving them.

My boy is a lucky little guy with the special youth season in PA he’s been cleaning up. Killed his 3rd long beard (4th bird overall) this year, 1 1/4” Spurs, 9.5” beard that was fatter than any I’ve ever killed and hair shy of 20 lbs....He’s 10 and I’ve warned him he’ll be waiting a long time beat that one.
B568EBE7-74DD-44A9-90F4-076362605A73.jpeg
C396C293-464A-4C70-837A-81074B3A9D99.jpeg
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

They’ve gone up. $50/foot, $185 on walnut board. Ironcladmetals.com. I did those four of mine and The Boy’s first. The Girl didn’t want to do that for her’s (she should have).
NRA Benefactor Life Member
MountNMan

Post by MountNMan »

They make a 2 part injectable epoxy that dries hard as granite. Injecta-Cast $26.50 per pint kit from McKenzie Taxidermy Supply. You need a 20 gauge needle and syringe for it.

Return to “Taxidermy”