This is Ridiculous!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

This is Ridiculous!

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I drove 60 miles to the adjacent region this afternoon in completely new country. My first stop was just too thick and steep, the second looked pretty good but I only called from where I parked. The weather third looked really good and the map showed that it had some adjacent private fields.

I hiked around a half mile back along a trail looking for tracks and calling. At one point I thought maybe I heard a distant gobble. I hiked a couple hundred yards more and definitely heard a gobble that time. I moved forward 50 yards to a good setup and called. They gobbled immediately at 100 yards or so l. They went quiet for 10 minutes then the next gobble was close but out of sight. It was loud enough that I wasn't completely sure the exact direction. Then the drumming got really loud and I knew it was a touch farther right just before three gobblers popped over the edge of the trail farther right than expected at 35 yards.

One was strutting with two flanking. They knew something was up immediately. I must have cut more than my eyes their direction. They clucked and started high stepping. I wanted to shoot the strutter but I shot the first one that I could get the red dot on as they broke to run and came out from behind a big tree. I hit him lower than I wanted but it killed him stone dead.

It really is ridiculous that I killed another this weekend but it just all fell in place. I stood there thinking this can't even be real to fill three tags like this on the last weekend. I really have been given a better season than deserved.

Just an FYI, this is not normal on public land here. This is a lot of luck. I really should buy a lottery ticket.
IMG_20230528_181316486.jpg
IMG_20230528_181134407.jpg
IMG_20230528_180743119.jpg
IMG_20230528_181006242.jpg
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: This is Ridiculous!

Post by Samm4770 »

You’re on fire!
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

Just think though, how many folks are still out there giving it their all like you are. Gotta be there to make it happen! Congrats on an end to an incredible weekend.
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Awesome bird. A little bit of luck is always a welcome thing late in the season. Congrats on filling your tags!
joey46

Post by joey46 »

As always congrats.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

enjoy it when you're "in the zone" and remember these great hunts, when tings aren't goin' so well ;)

congrats on another fine gobbler!! :thumbup:

Was this one light in weight also at 16#??
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Definitely hit up the Lotto on the ride home, when you hit remember who encouraged you to stop. Congrats to you again and again and again !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Congratulations again! Ride it while you can. The “can do no wrong” can quickly become “ can’t get it right” LOL. Awesome
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

soiltester wrote: May 29th, 2023, 6:30 am enjoy it when you're "in the zone" and remember these great hunts, when tings aren't goin' so well ;)

congrats on another fine gobbler!! :thumbup:

Was this one light in weight also at 16#??
This one weighed less at 14.75 lbs. I've killed several lightweight mountain birds but I think he's the lightest. He didn't look any different than the other two really but the strutter always looks bigger.
Last edited by Hobbes_mobile on May 29th, 2023, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dirtnap

Post by dirtnap »

Nice. Must be living right. And it's a good feeling to have.
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

You the man! Awesome season bud! Congrats in spades! Stop by Vegas!
Don
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Rub some of that sweat on a rag and send it to me so I can rub it on my shotgun
I need a lil of whatever you got going on in the turkey woods!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
FLGobstopper

Post by FLGobstopper »

Great job! Could be luck but obviously you're putting yourself in the right places to get lucky.

Kinda like at home when I talk to and say some nice things to my wife when she's not busy doing something else and then if I go in the bedroom and talk to her some more when when she's not all tired and ready to go to sleep right away, I might just get lucky. Disclaimer, it doesn't work all the time but it works enough for me to keep doing it over and over again. :D Pretty similar to the way I approach turkey hunting also.
Hammer1Down

Post by Hammer1Down »

I've always said Turkey hunting is 25% luck.
Congrats on the Gobblers! Sounds like a great last day!
:old_glory:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”