Western Oklahoma

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Sobry84

Western Oklahoma

Post by Sobry84 »

A couple of buddies and I are looking to possibly head to Western Oklahoma this spring from Arkansas. Plan on hunting public but we aren't against using an outfitter or even a landowner willing to lease out some land if anyone has recommendations on a place. Also, any tips and information on the area would be much appreciated we are really hope to tag a rio this spring.
Gooserbat

Re: Western Oklahoma

Post by Gooserbat »

Western Oklahoma, or Oklahoma in general is not what it used to be.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Maybe talk with a biologist. Some of Oklahoma had a record drought last year. That might make it tough
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

I am close to western OK. After some research I have not been over there yet. I don't mind tough hunting but I do like to have turkeys to hunt!

They have a major problem with habitat and losing a lot of their cottonwoods! Hopefully they have had some of the moisture we have had in NM this winter!
Sobry84

Post by Sobry84 »

Is there good numbers in new mexico I've thought about it but never really looked into it. Looks like it might be a cool place to hunt
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Vast mountains with pockets of birds, my main issue is the road access and folks on SxS running all over, but there are birds to be had. Very hero or zero here!
okiefowler

Post by okiefowler »

Dtrkyman wrote: March 25th, 2023, 9:06 am I am close to western OK. After some research I have not been over there yet. I don't mind tough hunting but I do like to have turkeys to hunt!

They have a major problem with habitat and losing a lot of their cottonwoods! Hopefully they have had some of the moisture we have had in NM this winter!
That's a negative, north and west of I-44 seems to be the imaginary precipitation cut off line. 90 day rainfall totals around .5-2.5"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”