Gun Mounted Video Camera

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Gun Mounted Video Camera

Post by guesswho »

Looking for suggestions for a gun mounted video set-up like tactacam, GoPro etc. that would also have WiFi to sync with my cell phone. It would be used on a Savage 301T with a Holosun sight mostly. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Pro’s, con’s?
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Samm4770
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Gun Mounted Video Camera

Post by Samm4770 »

I’m gunna be curious what ppl say I’m in the market also!
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

guesswho wrote: December 5th, 2022, 12:49 pm Looking for suggestions for a gun mounted video set-up like tactacam, GoPro etc. that would also have WiFi to sync with my cell phone. It would be used on a Savage 301T with a Holosun sight mostly. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Pro’s, con’s?
Do you really want to video your misses? Do you like to re-live the heartache? That would be like dating your ex wife. 😂
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

Shotkam seems to be top of the line but tactacam is half the price. I don't have any yet but I'm gonna try the new tactacam
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Tail Feathers wrote: December 5th, 2022, 6:59 pm
guesswho wrote: December 5th, 2022, 12:49 pm Looking for suggestions for a gun mounted video set-up like tactacam, GoPro etc. that would also have WiFi to sync with my cell phone. It would be used on a Savage 301T with a Holosun sight mostly. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Pro’s, con’s?
Do you really want to video your misses? Do you like to re-live the heartache? That would be like dating your ex wife. 😂
No problem, they come with a delete button. No pictures, videos or witnesses, it never happened.

I'm impatient. Didnt get many responses so I just ordered the new Tactacam 6.0 bundle. Comes with Camera, clamp mount, 64 GB card and a remote. I'll give a review in March, maybe sooner if I give it a test run on a hog hunt.
Double Naught Spy!
misfire

Post by misfire »

I do believe the Tactacam is able to interface with your phone, have to double check that. I have two of them. I know the Tactacam has two mounting options, a clamp that goes on the bottom of your barrel and then a side mount that attaches to a rail. I use that option on my guns and place it on same rail as my red dot. Doing it this way allows ease of use and less movement than if you were having to reach out toward the end of your barrel.
cuppednlocked

Post by cuppednlocked »

I use a tactacam 5.0 now. Upgraded from the solo. The 5.0 has wifi that allows you to see exactly what is in frame. I use the remote as well.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

It the 6.0 with the remote. I messed with it about 30 minutes and put it back in the box and shipped it back. I didn’t like the fact that the zoom was either 1 or 8. Nothing in between. Also didn’t like the touch screen thats about the size of my thumb. I saw fairly quick that it would be useless to me for hunting.
Double Naught Spy!
cuppednlocked

Post by cuppednlocked »

The 5.0 has 3 adjustable settings for video. Zoom, quality, and frame rate. You make the adjustments in the app after linking with wifi.

ETA: I have really liked the turkey hunts I've recorded with it. I am using a different mount that I bought many years ago. Its a hard rubber "H" that secures to the barrel via velcro.
Dylan730

Post by Dylan730 »

I have two 5.0’s, the wide and the solo extreme. I like them both and use them both. Set them up with the phone app, then use the remote to control them for recording. I use a clamp mount that clamps on to about anything, I dont use them mounted to my gun, no particular reason for that just personal pref.
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

guesswho wrote: December 27th, 2022, 7:07 pm It the 6.0 with the remote. I messed with it about 30 minutes and put it back in the box and shipped it back. I didn’t like the fact that the zoom was either 1 or 8. Nothing in between. Also didn’t like the touch screen thats about the size of my thumb. I saw fairly quick that it would be useless to me for hunting.
I've been messing with my new 6.0 and you can change the zoom from 1x anywhere to 8x in the settings. Today was the first time I hunted with it. I need the remote but I think it will be fine
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I couldn’t figure out how to zoom. It was either 1X or 8X. I do better with an actual hands on demo. Me reading instructions and applying them usually doesn’t yield great results. I hope it works out great for you. I did like the remote idea. But all I could figure out how to do with it was how to turn it on and off.
Double Naught Spy!
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

guesswho wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:57 pm I couldn’t figure out how to zoom. It was either 1X or 8X. I do better with an actual hands on demo. Me reading instructions and applying them usually doesn’t yield great results. I hope it works out great for you. I did like the remote idea. But all I could figure out how to do with it was how to turn it on and off.
Not sure if it helps now but you go to settings and for each of the 3 modes you set 1,2,3, etc all the way to 8x for each mode. Plus I found you can add a red dot to. Sorry it didn't work for you. I want to get the remote. That will be easier to tur t the camera on then reaching for the gun if one s ears in on me
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

You can add a red dot?
Double Naught Spy!
henry02

Post by henry02 »

My main problem/thought on the Tactacam (or similar) is that if it is attached to your gun (or another part of the body) the shot recoil is going to always be a problem,...which pretty much means if you want to get a good video of the actual shot, you would always have to have another camera running and on the bird.
Skimerhorn

Post by Skimerhorn »

guesswho wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 7:49 pm You can add a red dot?
Yea there is a opti9n to add a red dot to each camera mode if you want. On the 6.0 at least
misfire

Post by misfire »

I have a picatinny rail on the top of my shotgun with a red dot sight. I got the dovetail mount from Tactacam that will mount on the picatinny as well, either before or after your sight. A couple of reasons I prefer that mount over the barrel mount: it is easier to turn the camera on and it is a point of view camera angle. I have the Tactacam 5.0 and it works well
TINEnSPUR

Post by TINEnSPUR »

I have just the basic solo tactacam. It has served me well for several years, I mounted on my rifle, shotgun, and crossbow.
hunt123hunt

Post by hunt123hunt »

I have the tactacam 4 on my gun and really like it, when used on a 410 you can usually get the bird going down know problem, but on 20ga and up not so much. I just purchased the tactacam fish version which is basically a wide angle version and green that works with remote on closeout from Walmart for $59.00 that I'm going to set up with decoys this year for some close up video

Return to “Gobbler Talk”