September 11th !

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

September 11th !

Post by spider316 »

Please everyone, never forget the losses the United States of America suffered today :old_glory:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: September 11th !

Post by Hoobilly »

I will never forget

heres a short story of my experience that day.

You remember? where you were when it all began? Before that fateful day? How we lived unknowingly that such hatred could exist in day like that? Such a beautiful morning. You remember what you were doing? where you were going? What was changed that morning? How your life had been forever etched with a memory of destruction and death unlike anything in our country since Pearl Harbor. Do you remember?

I remember.....flying from Midway airport and not needing to show ID to get my eticket. Being able to carry my old pocket knife with me. Having a layover in Nashville. Calling the office and talking to Julie and then speaking with Jeremy about a small plane that flew accidently into the WTC.

I remember the flight from Nashville to Birmingham only taking 25 minutes after the Captain announced it would take 45.

I remember getting off the plane and walking down the corridor calling the office and speaking with July and Jeremy again....feeling uneasy about what was going on. Finding a cleaning room for the blankets and pillows and the women watching a black and white tv. Seeing the 2nd WTC tower being hit by a huge plane. Knowing that all Hell was breaking loose.

I remember standing there a wondering how could this be? What is going on? listening to the news reporters talk about the airports being shutdown. Realizing I needed to get my car rental asap. I was first in line. Then hundreds after me hoping they could get one also so that they could go on with their day.

Then I went to my business meeting. Having lunch at logans Steakhouse in Oxford Al. Not being able to talk business, but watching Fox News with the minute by minute reports. Knowing that my heart wasnt in talking business. We both shook hands and parted ways.

I remember going back to try and talk to the rental car company, National Guard had the airport blocked off and was kindly told the airports locked down. I asked him what to do with the car, he had no clue. So, I drove home. And listening to the news all the way. Oh yes, I remember.

The sacrifice, the loss of Freedom, the screams and crying. People wondering if it would keep happening, if there would be more attacks. I remember Pres Bush looking uneasy,

but doing what we expected him to do.

I remember talking to God. Praying for the families of those who died, lost and wounded. Praying that we would come together and we did.

I remember...
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

I was a senior in high school. I was on my way to cad class when I heard other kids talking about it. When I got to class coach had it on the tv. His brother was in that area. We watched the second plane hit. My sister lived a block away from the towers. We didn't have practice that day. Got home and found out that my sister was ok. They were able to get out. One of the worst days of my life. Most of it spent in a fog trying to figure out what was going on.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I was in class at Ferris.... Didn't have a clue til I got back to my apartment, my roommates were drinking beer saying we're getting bombed....

After watching and finding out what was going on my phone started blowing up, Mommy.... I never felt so alone in my life, wanted be home... Mom said to stay put....

It's sad it took this event to reunite a country that was divided much like we are today... Sep 12 the world was a different place...
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

I remember I was taking my little girl to get her first shots at the Dr. On the way home the radio mentioned a small plane had hit one of the towers. It was a clear blue day here at home and I thought it was odd but didnt give it much thought honestly. In my mind I envisioned a cesna bouncing off the side of the tower. Turned on the TV when we got home just in time to see the second tower get hit. My heart sank.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

southpaw wrote: September 11th, 2022, 8:17 pm I was a senior in high school. I was on my way to cad class when I heard other kids talking about it. When I got to class coach had it on the tv. His brother was in that area. We watched the second plane hit. My sister lived a block away from the towers. We didn't have practice that day. Got home and found out that my sister was ok. They were able to get out. One of the worst days of my life. Most of it spent in a fog trying to figure out what was going on.
yessir I remember that fog and not knowing what the future would hold.
ICDEDTURKES wrote: September 11th, 2022, 9:05 pm I was in class at Ferris.... Didn't have a clue til I got back to my apartment, my roommates were drinking beer saying we're getting bombed....

After watching and finding out what was going on my phone started blowing up, Mommy.... I never felt so alone in my life, wanted be home... Mom said to stay put....

It's sad it took this event to reunite a country that was divided much like we are today... Sep 12 the world was a different place...
We were all Americans united
Chief Razor wrote: September 11th, 2022, 10:24 pm I remember I was taking my little girl to get her first shots at the Dr. On the way home the radio mentioned a small plane had hit one of the towers. It was a clear blue day here at home and I thought it was odd but didnt give it much thought honestly. In my mind I envisioned a cesna bouncing off the side of the tower. Turned on the TV when we got home just in time to see the second tower get hit. My heart sank.

it was a crazy feeling when the 2nd slammed into it.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Heather Penney was a F-16 fighter jet pilot and a member of the District of Columbia National Guard when the 9/11 terrorist attacks occurred. (Courtesy of Heather Penney)MORE
DEFENDING AMERICA
‘There’s Something Deeper That Connects Us All as Americans’: F-16 Pilot Was Prepared for ‘One-Way Mission’ on 9/11
'They knew that their nation needed them'
By Masooma Haq and Cindy Drukier
September 10, 2022 Updated: September 11, 2022
SHARES | FRIENDS READ FREE
Share Email
259 COMMENTS
Comment

0:00
7:08

Former Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney was a rookie F-16 fighter jet pilot and a member of the District of Columbia Air National Guard when the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks occurred.

Sure in her resolve to protect and defend, Penney understood at that time that she and her commander might not return from their mission to ram their jets into the fourth plane—United Airlines Flight 93—that had been hijacked by terrorists that day.

Although the two pilots were ready to die that day, what lives with Penney is not her unit’s willingness to sacrifice for their country, but the courage and patriotism of the passengers and crew onboard Flight 93. Those everyday heroes proved that there’s something deeper that connects us all as Americans, she said.

Related Coverage
‘There’s Something Deeper That Connects Us All as Americans’: F-16 Pilot Was Prepared for ‘One-Way Mission’ on 9/11Fighter Pilot Recalls 9/11 Mission to Ram Flight 93, and Why It Gives Her Hope
Experience the best way to read The Epoch Times online. Try our free app for a limited time.

“That love of nation, that love of country, that love of our fellow citizens, it shouldn’t be bound up in all of the vitriolic anger discourse that we have today,” Penney said during a recent interview with NTD’s “The Nation Speaks” program.

MOST READ
‘There’s Something Deeper That Connects Us All as Americans’: F-16 Pilot Was Prepared for ‘One-Way Mission’ on 9/11
Central Florida Human Trafficking Sting Operation, Sheriff’s Office Arrest Disney Employee and School Teachers
Read More
“There’s something deeper that connects all of us. And that is what animated them that day. … They knew that their nation needed them.”

That morning at about 10 a.m., a group of people aboard Flight 93 struggled with the terrorists who had hijacked the airliner. The flight crashed into a Pennsylvania field, killing everyone on board but saving many other potential victims.

Instead of dwelling on the pain and trauma from that day, Penney chooses to focus on the American spirit of courage and selflessness shown by the passengers and crew of Flight 93.

RELATED
Millions Continue Flocking to Mount Rushmore In Spite of Cancel Culture
Millions Continue Flocking to Mount Rushmore In Spite of Cancel Culture
“How can I make my world a better place? How can I take that spirit of service, of courage into my community, to make our nation a better place? And I think that’s the real legacy of 9/11,” Penney said.

“I hope that we always remember the courage, the service, the community, the compassion that truly underlies what it means to be American.”

Family History

For Penney, that sense of service was ingrained in her from an early age, coming as she does from a line of fighter pilots; her father flew in the Vietnam War, and her grandfather was a flight instructor during World War II.

In March 2001, she qualified to fly the F-16, with all its weapons systems. Just prior to 9/11, Penney became a lieutenant, completed pilot training, and earned her “wings.”

Because her squadron had just finished “heavy” training in Nevada, many in her unit went home, leaving only a skeleton crew of D.C. National Guard fighter pilots on the morning of 9/11, Penney said.

That morning, during a meeting, an enlisted crew member interrupted their unit and told them about the first World Trade Center tower being hit by a passenger plane, she said.

“And we just made the assumption that it was a light, general aviation aircraft flying down the Hudson, maybe wasn’t paying attention and bounced off a building,” Penney said.

It wasn’t until they got up and turned on the news that they saw the second plane hit the other tower, “and it was clear that our nation was under attack,” she said.

Epoch Times Photo
Hijacked United Airlines Flight 175 from Boston crashes into the south tower of the World Trade Center and explodes on Sept. 11, 2001, in New York City. (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)
Not Fast Enough

At that time, there was no alert system or armed fighter jets in place to defend the capital because the United States had been focused on the Russian threat, but when the Cold War with the Soviet Union ended, there were no “fighters armed with real weapons, real missiles, ready to go at a moment’s notice,” Penney said.

At the time, the United States had only a small number of fighter jet units protecting the borders.

“And they were all looking out; they weren’t looking in, and we were not a part of that,” Penney said.

The group Penney was with was trained but had no weapons on their aircraft or a “chain of command” for that type of emergency scenario.

“Getting the authorization to launch and then getting the weapons onboard the aircraft were our two biggest problems,” she said.

The leadership there that morning included Wing Commander Gen. David Worley (now operations officer), Maj. Marc Sasseville (now a general), and Weapons Officer Maj. Dan Kane (now a general), Penney said.

Initially, the three decided to try to get weapons, which would need to be obtained from Andrews Air Force Base. However, even after being armed, the team would still require authorization to use their weapons, which would need to come from the White House, Penney said.

Epoch Times Photo
Heather Penney was an F-16 fighter pilot with the District of Columbia National Guard. (Courtesy of Heather Penney)
Left With No Other Choice

“We knew what the target was—innocent Americans in airliners, with terrorists. And that was something that we could not take down of our own accord without the explicit authorization and intent from our national leadership. So, we simply had to wait,” she said.

After terrorists used a third hijacked plane to strike the Pentagon, Vice President Dick Cheney gave the order to Penney’s unit to go after the fourth plane, Flight 93, which was determined to be on a similar suicide mission.

“[Sasseville] looks at me and says, ‘Lucky, you’re with me.’ And he looks at Dan Kane and says, ‘Raisin, you and Igor, Brandon, [and] Rasmussen, you guys wait until you get missiles. Alright, Lucky, let’s go,’” Penney recounted of the order that Sasseville gave the morning of 9/11.

As they rushed to gear up for the mission, she thought, “Don’t screw this up.”

“Because if there was anything I had done in my life that mattered, that was it,” Penney said.

“We knew that if we took off and we were mission successful, that we would be ramming our jets into the airliner that we would not be coming home, that’s if we were successful—it was a one-way mission.

“Given the stakes, and we had seen the aircraft on the television flying into the World Trade Center, we knew what had to be done. There was no question in my mind.”

Epoch Times Photo
Before the Flight 93 National Memorial was built, busloads of people stopped at this fence near the crash site in Shanksville, Pa., to grieve. (Chuck Wagner/”Reflections from the Memorial”)
Ordinary Heroes

But Penney’s and Sasseville’s heroism and sense of duty were matched by the passengers on Flight 93, who would go on to sacrifice their lives to save countless others by forcing the terrorists to bring down the plane before they could succeed in reaching Washington.

Penney hopes that the younger generation can understand the sacrifice that those on Flight 93 made and realize “that there is nothing truly safe in this world, [that] nothing truly great ever happens in total safety,” she said.

“[Young people] can make choices every day to be ordinary heroes, to live up to their greatness and to contribute to who we are as a nation,” she said.

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

My heart sinks with sadness, every time 9/11 comes around since 2001 . :usa:

As everyone else, I remember well what I was doing that day.
I was assisting my wife with a dog surgery, then off to the fields for fields soil sampling, with the pick-up radio keeping me abreast of all the latest news, between sampling fields.
That day is etched in my mind, as vividly, as the day when President Kennedy was assassinated on Nov. 22, 1963. :old_glory:

One of my farmer client's and his family, paused along a highway, on their way back from east coast vacation, north of N.Y., to watch the billowing smoke from the towers.
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

soiltester wrote: September 12th, 2022, 9:38 am My heart sinks with sadness, every time 9/11 comes around since 2001 . :usa:

As everyone else, I remember well what I was doing that day.
I was assisting my wife with a dog surgery, then off to the fields for fields soil sampling, with the pick-up radio keeping me abreast of all the latest news, between sampling fields.
That day is etched in my mind, as vividly, as the day when President Kennedy was assassinated on Nov. 22, 1963. :old_glory:

One of my farmer client's and his family, paused along a highway, on their way back from east coast vacation, north of N.Y., to watch the billowing smoke from the towers.
I think everyone bled red white & blue that day. Some have forgotten and use out remembrance to mock us.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”