Gun case for traveling

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Skimerhorn

Gun case for traveling

Post by Skimerhorn »

Do you guys use a case when your traveling out of state for your turkey guns? If so what kind? I'm looking at getting a hard case to hold 2 at a time but having trouble deciding.
decoykrvr

Re: Gun case for traveling

Post by decoykrvr »

Make sure and buy a case which is TSA airline approved to cover your future needs. Pelican makes a great case @25 lbs. which will hold two long guns or shotguns and your ammo. We remove the top foam and replace it with our soft padded gun cases to use while hunting at our destination. When flying make sure and check the airlines baggage weight limits (some "discount" airlines have a 40 lb. rather than the standard 50 lb. baggage weight limit}. As an aside, this past spring we ran into some real TSA "dicks" that mandated a TSA approved lock on every point on the case which accepted a lock, which resulted in a $48/2 lock purchase at the airport. A friend, who frequently flies with firearms circumvented the problem by taking a dremel grinding disc and sand paper to his hard case and removing two of the lock attachment points with no reduction in the security of the firearms when properly locked w/ two locks. On our three flights this spring, the airlines lost/failed to properly secure two of the TSA approved locks. I too utilize a hard case when throwing guns, equipment, camping gear, etc., in the back of the truck for extended hunting trips with the soft cases as padding.
Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

I lost 2 TSA locks as well this spring. Also upon arrival found rib to be bent as well. Buy the best case you can get if flying.
I have the Pelican 1750, which allows me a lot of room for my shotgun, ammo, binos, knife, rain gear, extra clothes, etc…
Good luck!!
aristico

Post by aristico »

You cant go wrong with a pelican. I havea pelican and negrini. DO NOT GET TSA LOCKS...if they want to open your case they have to call you and you will be there when they open it.
duckslut

Post by duckslut »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154395999918?m ... media=COPY

I have this case I bought a few years back. I'm able to pack all my guns and most of my camo inside also boots
I have the 44" version for weight savings. Ripped out the insulation foam inside and just use my clothes. Like others have said NO tsa locks. I use keyed alike master lock keys. Keep on in my pocket and a spare inside my carry on bag.
Also I use a gun sock for hunt travel when I get to my destination instead of toting around that massive hard case
joey46

Post by joey46 »

No topic seems to give more conflicting and bad information as flying with firearms. I currently use a Plano 36" tactical case ($99 on Amazon this morning) that easily handles an 870 with the barrel separated. Still room for calls, range finder and other items. My case will also contain ten rounds of properly packaged ammo. Case has two built in locks and two spots to add padlocks. If you want to drill the ends you can add one to each end. Give you a total of 6. I did this in about a minute. Plano has some much cheaper, lighter and flexible cases. Stay away from these if flying IMO. Flew from Tampa to Denver and back this spring on Southwest Air. Zero problems. Have flown at least a dozen times with my shotgun from and to various venues. Zero problems. Each airline will have firearm/ammo baggage guidelines on their web sites. TSA also has printed rules. Do a little homework. Ignore or verify half what you read on these forums and you will be fine.
Add - anyone having problems please post the airport name. I've flown with my turkey gun from TPA, RSW, DEN, BNA, HTS and CMH multiple times. Zero problems. Didn't expect any. Didn't have any.
Throw in a picture. Note the locks I added to the ends. BTW - bet you won't find anything on the TSA web site listing "approved" cases by name. The manufacturers do that. As has been noted if you use a TSA openable lock you are asking for problems. If they want in they will call you for keys. This past spring in both Tampa and Denver I went with the gun to the TSA area set up for gun screening and watched the process. In Denver I was with six other turkey hunters on the same flight. My case x-rayed but never opened. They said "ok" and waved me on. One TSA lock on another hunter's case had snapped. It was the type with a flexible cable that looks like a small bicycle lock. Piece of crap.
Attachments
GUN CASE PLANO.jpg
Last edited by joey46 on July 2nd, 2022, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

Bass pro has a good case I have used multiple times ..
Always take a pic of contents and save for future reference .
Argentina return trip they lost my case , 2 guns and 5 high end knives . When we informed them @ $5,000 to cover the case Delta found it and shipped it to my house. With a airline courier . Had the courier stay until I cut off THEIR locks and checked my belongings against the pics . Everything was good !
Never any problems on domestic flights but international can be a problem .
10th Legion legionare !
Roost 1

Post by Roost 1 »

2nd100 wrote: July 1st, 2022, 6:04 pm Bass pro has a good case I have used multiple times ..
Always take a pic of contents and save for future reference .
Argentina return trip they lost my case , 2 guns and 5 high end knives . When we informed them @ $5,000 to cover the case Delta found it and shipped it to my house. With a airline courier . Had the courier stay until I cut off THEIR locks and checked my belongings against the pics . Everything was good !
Never any problems on domestic flights but international can be a problem .
Never thought about taking a pic…. Great ideal.
BobT

Post by BobT »

I used a Pelican/Storm IM 3200 case to take my rifle to Tanzania in 2018. I flew from St. Louis to Atlanta to Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro and back again. The case took a beating but the gun didn't, nor did anything else I had packed in the case.
wchadw

Gun case for traveling

Post by wchadw »

Just make sure it’s a hard case that can’t be pried open AT ALL. If they can stick a finger in the case they may not let it go.
Locks. In every lock loop. Keep key. Don’t do tsa lock. Wait until it goes thru scanner and they put it on belt if you can in case they want to open case.
The hard cases are heavy and bulky loaded. Get one that rolls. Put ammo in the box and put in case and anything else that will fit up to 50 pounds
I use a pelican vault 750. Big enough for a couple guns or 1 gun and gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wchadw

Gun case for traveling

Post by wchadw »

I agree with take a picture of contents AND write name and cell number on case so they can call if they need it opened Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

We have been using this one for 15 years. It has held up very well, and can transport 4 turkey guns. It can get close to the 50 lb mark with 4, but I like to have a spare for many reasons.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

That SKB is a good deal. The empty weight may be a factor on airlines with the 40# limit since it is 17# 10oz empty. 8 kilograms :scratch: - jeez - what's Amazon think we're all Canadians? LOL.
jdub2041

Post by jdub2041 »

Harbor freight has a good one that I use. Its identical to a pelican. I think its called apache 9800
Burney Mac

Post by Burney Mac »

aristico wrote: June 30th, 2022, 5:46 pm You cant go wrong with a pelican. I havea pelican and negrini. DO NOT GET TSA LOCKS...if they want to open your case they have to call you and you will be there when they open it.
I agree......I prefer to have my own lock and I'm the only one with a key. Get there slightly earlier. If there is a problem or they need in your case. They will call you and you will be there when the case is opened and closed making sure everything in there is just as you left it.
hootgobbleyelpgobble

Post by hootgobbleyelpgobble »

trkykilr wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 8:59 am Image
We have been using this one for 15 years. It has held up very well, and can transport 4 turkey guns. It can get close to the 50 lb mark with 4, but I like to have a spare for many reasons.
Got the same case but with the older style locks. Its been a good one so far.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”