Snake proof gaiters

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
alpha burnt

Snake proof gaiters

Post by alpha burnt »

Been looking. What do you all use? Care to respond with pro’s and con’s of different models? I’ve seen them as cheap as $18 + shipping on eBay to $300 on Orvis. Not seeing bunch of poisonous snakes here in WV but I know they’re here (rattlers and copperheads) and gaiters would give me a little peace of mind traipsing through dense undergrowth and up and down rocky terrain. Thanks for reading…
Jstocks

Re: Snake proof gaiters

Post by Jstocks »

I hear nomad is working on some. I wore some in texas this year and was glad to have them for the mesquite thorns if nothing else but I’m not sure what brand they were. They were kind of stiff, but kept the thorns out for sure.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I've had the turtleskin gaiters from Orvis. Comfortable and lightweight. Been wearing them for over 5 years. I wear 8" leather boots underneath or jungle boots depending on terrain. I had a pair of Russell snakeboots and couldn't stand them. Overpriced discomfort. Rockies and LaCross not much better. Gave the Russells to a friend. Gil
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

Are turtle skins fabric vs polypropylene sheet?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The turtleskin is a solid sheet of a flexible plastic like material sandwiched between cloth. The cloth is subject to wear. Mine have had hard use in briers while quail and woodcock hunting with my birddogs in addition to turkeys. I wear them over wellies as well as other boots. Gil
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

Bought some $40 Tru Timber gaiters to see if I like them. Hope to wear them this week, and hope they’re not needed.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”