Opportunity to expand spring Turkey Hunting in Hawaii

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
IslandKiller

Opportunity to expand spring Turkey Hunting in Hawaii

Post by IslandKiller »

Hi:
I'm Steve Robertson, a resident of Hawaii and, like you, I'm a turkey hunter. I'm contacting you to ask for your help in voicing support for a spring turkey season in Maui County, Hawaii. Local officials with the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) say that they have not been aware of an interest in establishing a spring season here, and your input can help make this a reality. Currently, turkeys can be hunted in Maui County only during the upland bird season in November, December and January, but the birds are not fired up to come in to calls here until about March.
Nearby, on Hawaii (the Big Island,) there is a spring season for turkeys from March 1 to April 15. Hunter participation has increased in recent years, with 438 hunters in 2019 (DLNR data). With the recent surge in interest for "Chasin' 49," not to mention reasonable non-resident license fees ($115 plus a $20 tag for each bird taken, with a limit of three gobblers) that level of interest in Hawaii turkey hunting is bound to increase.
Currently, spring turkey hunting in Hawaii is restricted to the Big Island, despite the fact that large populations of turkeys exist on the islands of Molokai, Lanai and Maui (all in Maui County). Molokai and Maui do not currently have abundant public land coinciding with the locations of most turkeys, but private land hunting would certainly be viable if landowners were interested. On the other hand, the island of Lanai has abundant turkeys and access available to public hunters on about 30,000 acres. But no spring season, due to a perceived lack of interest.
Please help turn that false perception around by sending an email to the good folks at HI DLNR (email addresses listed below) and expressing your interest in a spring turkey season on these other three Hawaiian Islands. It doesn't have to be a long letter; just a simple note expressing your interest in an expansion of turkey hunting opportunities in The Aloha State.
Thank you!

david.g.smith@hawaii.gov
john.s.medeiros@hawaii.gov
Shane.demattos@hawaii.gov
scott.fretz@hawaii.gov
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Opportunity to expand spring Turkey Hunting in Hawaii

Post by Hoobilly »

as the owner of GobblerNation I approve this message

and also will be emailing

and expect a invite when it happens! lol
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

hoobilly wrote: March 15th, 2022, 5:28 pm as the owner of GobblerNation I approve this message

and also will be emailing

and expect a invite when it happens! lol
As the Land management director of FoxTrot Farms, I agree with my Bauce, chief of the Sauce. But we're gonna need at least 5 years of unsolicited, non-binding exclusive access to any and/or all land whether private/public to estimate just how good the hunting can/possibly/would be to any who decided to travel far/ and or great length to enjoy what/could be enjoying, all of course after we enjoy it for our own benefits. We, from this point forward, will be determined by me , by anyone I choose to invite. Thank you, strong in Solidarity Local 514 ! :old_glory:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Can I go and wear my camo speedo....or banana hammock???
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
253shotgunner

Post by 253shotgunner »

I was born and raised in Hawaii but now live in Washington state. I hope to hunt turkeys in Hawaii next year. I am all for it and I will email HI DLNR. Mahalo, -253sg
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Good luck. I'm sure HI will never be in my budget but the very few you tubers that have done shows from there make it look interesting. If I'm remembering they are Rios. Based on my Florida experience where the wily Osceola draws in thousands of out of state hunters, with their families and wallets, an expansion of turkey hunting opportunities would be a tourism $$$$ boost. I'll guarantee few stateside turkey hunters would get by with going to Hawaii without the wife. "Hawaii without me" :violent1:
turk2di

Post by turk2di »

C’mon John let’s go to Hawaii and stumble over that terrain and bag us a gobbler👍🦃
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

IslandKiller,
You need to get a handle on how much out-of-state hunters contribute/spend on average to hunt on the Big Island and present this data to the powers that be on the islands which don't have a Spring season. The folks making the decisions don't care about the "quality" of the hunt regarding receptive/working gobblers, but they do understand $$$.
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

I would be happy to send and email to help out. Good luck
joey46

Post by joey46 »

turk2di wrote: March 16th, 2022, 11:49 am C’mon John let’s go to Hawaii and stumble over that terrain and bag us a gobbler👍🦃
Now you got me digging for that picture of you in the camper. Been a long time Tim. Glad you popped up.
IslandKiller

Post by IslandKiller »

Many thanks to those of you that were able to send an email to the good folks here. For everyone else, please consider doing it soon. Maybe this could help open up a hunt for you next year or beyond.
In the meantime, good luck in filling your tags!
IslandKiller

Post by IslandKiller »

For many of us the 2022 spring season is now a collection of memories, and we start looking forward to new ones for next year and beyond. With that in mind, please take a couple minutes and send some input on your interest to the emails listed above. That might be you coming to enjoy a new hunt in Maui county one day! Mahalo!
IslandKiller

Post by IslandKiller »

For many of us the 2022 spring season is now a collection of memories, and we start looking forward to new ones for next year and beyond. With that in mind, please take a couple minutes and send some input on your interest to the emails listed above. That might be you coming to enjoy a new hunt in Maui county one day! Mahalo!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”