Another "Why Are Wild Turkey Populations Diminishing?" article

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
decoykrvr

Re: Another "Why Are Wild Turkey Populations Diminishing?" article

Post by decoykrvr »

Hal, I very much appreciate you posting this. As a former fisheries/wildlife biologist, an article like this, from wildlife professionals with a biological standpoint in terms understandable by most readers, is indeed welcome and should be read by all members of this site. I personally have seen the results of turkey/nest predation and the results on game bird populations when predators were reduced or eliminated. Twenty-three years ago, a large area which I hunt was hit simultaneously hit with an outbreak of rabies and distemper which eliminated the skunks, foxes, raccoons, and other mammalian predators. During the next few years the expansion of the quail and turkey populations in the affected area was phenomenal and from 1-2 coveys of quail, the area soon supported 16+ coveys. Simultaneously, The turkey population which I knew well, grew to the point that there were numerous flocks of 20-30 birds and in late winter mature, gobbler flocks of 10-15 birds became common. The quail population was not hunted, and within 5 years with the natural return of predators reduced the quail populations to pre-outbreak numbers. Turkey numbers were also diminished, not from hunting since I limited my harvest to 2 gobblers per spring on the area, but still maintained a higher population than before the outbreak. When I first started turkey hunting over 40 years ago, coons were not very common in our area and their populations were kept in check in rural areas by the coon hunters and trappers. Biologist in my area have shown that raccoons have adversely impacted wood duck, screech owl, and other cavity nesters and most ground nesting birds and are the primary reason that these avian populations are declining.
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Good article. I talked to a few friends that still hunt coons with dogs. They dont bother shooting them or skinning them anymore as the hides are only getting 50¢. They just run and breed the dogs for trials anymore.

Ohio cut our bag limits down to 1 bird per year and if you ask me it was time. I didnt see a single poult last year. The numbers in my area are definitely down.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Chief Razor wrote: January 25th, 2022, 5:43 pm Good article. I talked to a few friends that still hunt coons with dogs. They dont bother shooting them or skinning them anymore as the hides are only getting 50¢. They just run and breed the dogs for trials anymore.

Ohio cut our bag limits down to 1 bird per year and if you ask me it was time. I didnt see a single poult last year. The numbers in my area are definitely down.
Don’t know where you are in Ohio Chief, but here in SW Ohio numbers are down also. Nest predator populations are gigantic. Most coon hunters I know have transitioned to squirrel dogs. Those who do coon hunt seldom kill one. I would love to see a good dose of coon distemper wipe them out. On a brighter note, I did see quite a few Jakes last season, so hopefully my one and done in Ohio can be accomplished
Chief Razor

Post by Chief Razor »

Turkinator wrote: January 25th, 2022, 7:51 pm
Chief Razor wrote: January 25th, 2022, 5:43 pm Good article. I talked to a few friends that still hunt coons with dogs. They dont bother shooting them or skinning them anymore as the hides are only getting 50¢. They just run and breed the dogs for trials anymore.

Don’t know where you are in Ohio Chief, but here in SW Ohio numbers are down also. Nest predator populations are gigantic. Most coon hunters I know have transitioned to squirrel dogs. Those who do coon hunt seldom kill one. I would love to see a good dose of coon distemper wipe them out. On a brighter note, I did see quite a few Jakes last season, so hopefully my one and done in Ohio can be accomplished
SE here. I think I may start doing a little trapping myself.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

It's astounding to me that states aren't starting to get on the bandwagon with the predator thing. There is no fur market to amount to anything, especially in the southeast. No one coon hunts anymore and the few that do don't shoot the coons. Ground nesting birds are going to go the way of the dodo bird, because stated don't push to manage predator species numbers. There is about no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to trap during peak nesting, and there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to shoot hawks from April- September. Change my mind lol
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have always thought there cyclical like the ruffed grouse... The peaks and valleys and the extremes and lengths are determined by the above factors amongst others...

I grew up watching our turkeys in my area essentially just getting established than hitting a peak, then a slow trend downward to that lasted 8-10 years than a rise to numbers surpassing the original peak all with increasing pressure over time...
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Rockhound wrote: January 28th, 2022, 10:00 pm It's astounding to me that states aren't starting to get on the bandwagon with the predator thing. There is no fur market to amount to anything, especially in the southeast. No one coon hunts anymore and the few that do don't shoot the coons. Ground nesting birds are going to go the way of the dodo bird, because stated don't push to manage predator species numbers. There is about no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to trap during peak nesting, and there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to shoot hawks from April- September. Change my mind lol
I like how you think!
ICDEDTURKES wrote: January 29th, 2022, 12:54 am I have always thought there cyclical like the ruffed grouse... The peaks and valleys and the extremes and lengths are determined by the above factors amongst others...

I grew up watching our turkeys in my area essentially just getting established than hitting a peak, then a slow trend downward to that lasted 8-10 years than a rise to numbers surpassing the original peak all with increasing pressure over time...
. I’ve always thought they ran through cycles also
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gobbler Talk”