Fall Success...

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
MFL205

Fall Success...

Post by MFL205 »

Sometimes it all just comes together...

So, I was sitting at home last night round 8:30 when I received a text from a bow-hunter friend of mine. He had a flock of turkeys fly-up all around him last night and he immediately thought of me and wondered if I had a fall permit left. I did, so he dropped me a pin on where they were in case I wanted to go after them in the morning. On an unrelated note, I happened to "not be feeling well" after this text, I think I came down with "turkeysareroostedandshouldbeeasytokillatdaylight-itis" so I knew I needed to stay home in the morninig and take-care of this debilitating issue.....

I got onto a large hill 30 minutes before daylight and got comfortable. As the sun came up I could hear birds yelping and kee-kee'ing all around me. Some with 40 yds, some as far as 100. As is my tactic, I try and be the loudest and most bossy hen in the flock, making sure they know I am in charge and they all need to come to me. After 20 minutes of non-stop yelping, putting and kee-kee'ing on my mouth-call (which is fun BTW!), they all started coming down. I had put a look-out hen in a small opening about 25 yds away. The far-away birds all tried to fly into that opening, but flared-off when they saw her, flew 15-20 feet over my head and landed 20 yds behind me in another small opening. After all the birds had landed, I waited a few minutes and then slowly turned, only to see them about 40 yds back there and they were slowly moving away. With too many heads all together at one time, I waited until they crested the hill and I started making moves to get in front of them. After 3-4 moves, I got within 60 yds multiple times, but could not close the deal. I made one last move to get between two flocks and had them call calling and forth when I heard a deep-loud CLUCK-CLUCK right behind me....

Luckily I had picked a large enough tree and I was able to make myself as small as I could, spin around and peak out on the side without being seen. There stood this guy and his brother. I raised the Franchi and let him have it at 25 yds. Probably my favorite fall-hunt ever!
image0 (1).jpeg
image0 (1).jpeg
After shooting him, I noticed he had all kinds of weird bumps on his head. My son (who is studying to be a Wildlife Biologiest at college) said he has Avion Pox and it is a good thing I got him out of there before he infected other birds with the same disease. It is not transferrable to humans, which is good, but I am glad he is out of there.
Attachments
image2.jpeg
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Fall Success...

Post by Hognutz »

Congratulations! Not only is he a "bonus fall bird", he is a stinkin stud!
Well done!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Felt like I was there! Good job!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Lacire

Post by Lacire »

That’s my kind of hunting, especially when the chase is on…..congratulations.
crow

Post by crow »

Congrats on a nice one
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

Congratulations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Return to “Gobbler Talk”