We lost one of our best

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

We lost one of our best

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Some of you may know some of you may not know the name Larry Shockey.. He passed last night..

Larry was one of the best.. I first met him at the convention when we were both with Hooks.. He took me under his wing that night.. He told me so many things about the industry.

He I and Miller were only ones up til like 2-3 am swapping stories.. He looked at me and said the world is full of hunters and killers, and explained his mentality on killing turkeys.. Forever changing. He may have been the first one to coin the hate yet his respect and love of the wild turkey was equal..

His stories of the ol days on the calling circuit with Shipp make you laugh to your belly hurt.. When the whole Hooks crew would gather at night swapping stories, blowing calls.. When shock piped in you shut up and listened.. He thought on another level..

He was 11 time world and GNCC calling champion and one of the best judges under the curtain.. Callers knew If Larry drew a turkey foot next to your score it was pure turkey..

Shock had the biggest heart in the world especially when if came to kids.. He had some great stories guiding and hunting with the who's who's of the industry but when he told stories with kids he glowed..

I know the term icon gets thrown around alot, but Larry was one.. He was one of the last died in the wool bonified turkey killers.. Before super guns, strutting dekes, cameras Larry just killed..

Going through Facebook you see how many lives he's touched and for how long.. Unfortunately never spent a day in the woods he always wanted to come up never worked, just days and nights in Nashville and the occasional phone call..

The term.icon or great gets tossed amongst turkey hunters, he truly was..

We lost a great one.. Turkeys are gonna go to roost safely tonight..
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: We lost one of our best

Post by guesswho »

There is a very small group of people who can keep my attention for any length of time while talking turkey. He was in that very small group. RIP Mr. Shockey.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

RIP Shock. Sad to hear of his passing.
He was a true turkey man, glad to hear he was such a good man as well.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Never got the chance to meet him

Lots of people on Facebook sure are hurting over his passing
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Biged

Post by Biged »

Prayers for his family and all his friends
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote: August 18th, 2021, 4:51 pm Never got the chance to meet him

For sure.He goes so far back really made a impact on alot of people.. He's one of the ones that even the ego people in the industry would stop and listen.. Walk through the show with him it would take two hours to walk one aisle signing autographs taking pictures.. He may not be well known to alot but to turkey people a pillar..

I got to know him Through the call company one of favorites that I spent time with down there.. Used to joke I wanted a pad and paper, thought on another level.. His calling was not what contest calling was becoming, he just spit feathers..

Brice you'd have loved to sit with him one night picking his brain, learn more in that night then wasting eternity on forum boards..

One thing that's sad especially now, Scott's brother writes he was gonna write a book with Larry..
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: August 18th, 2021, 6:14 pm

For sure.He goes so far back really made a impact on alot of people.. He's one of the ones that even the ego people in the industry would stop and listen.. Walk through the show with him it would take two hours to walk one aisle signing autographs taking pictures.. He may not be well known to alot but to turkey people a pillar..

I got to know him Through the call company one of favorites that I spent time with down there.. Used to joke I wanted a pad and paper, thought on another level.. His calling was not what contest calling was becoming, he just spit feathers..

Brice you'd have loved to sit with him one night picking his brain, learn more in that night then wasting eternity on forum boards..

One thing that's sad especially now, Scott's brother writes he was gonna write a book with Larry..
Yessir I love to talk and learn from this who have a love in sharing knowledge.

Just shows you that you never know fate
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote: August 18th, 2021, 8:25 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: August 18th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Yessir I love to talk and learn from this who have a love in sharing knowledge.

Just shows you that you never know fate
Tell me about it :oops:
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Prayers and condolences to his family and friends !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

May he rest in peace.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

My deepest condolences and prayers to the family. 🙏
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ltprodtorreyh

Post by ltprodtorreyh »

He was one of a kind and a PURE TURKEY KILLER!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Gobbler Talk”