Durana clover + brown top millet.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
coconut

Durana clover + brown top millet.

Post by coconut »

Planted brown top millet in several fields a few years ago and it has been coming back pretty good every year. Last fall after the brown top seeded out I sprayed it with glyphosate and then over seeded Durana clover. Got a excellent stand of clover and now the brown top is coming up through it in places. Been seeing turkeys in the field daily and looks like the perfect height for poults and hens to feed in.
Also purchased 2 all season turkey feeders which have been a total flop. Had over 1500 pictures of coons feeding from them and 0 turkeys. I suspected the coons would eat out of them but was hoping a few turkeys would as well. I called all seasons and told them they might need to go back to the drawing board on the feeders. Woman said excuse me, then said she had never had anyone complain about coons eating out of there feeders before.
Anyway, I plan on elevating them so coons can’t reach them.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Durana clover + brown top millet.

Post by Hoobilly »

😂
I would laugh until I choked out if she said that to me
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Good luck with the feeders and also, you sure have your work cut out for you with the racoon extermination :shock:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

I don't know anything about those feeders but know that coons are some pretty smart when it comes
to defeating the best laid plans to keep them out of feeders, almost as bad as squirrels.

Send the woman you talk with some pics of the coons feeding. Might prompt them to look into the issue.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

coconut

Post by coconut »

HunterGKS wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 5:21 pm I don't know anything about those feeders but know that coons are some pretty smart when it comes
to defeating the best laid plans to keep them out of feeders, almost as bad as squirrels.

Send the woman you talk with some pics of the coons feeding. Might prompt them to look into the issue.
I offered to and she suddenly had ideas on how to remedy the problem. Her first suggestion was to build exclusion pen around the feeders then she mentioned elevating the feeders. I know plateau makes elevated feeders but they don’t ship them. I hope a Alabama turkey can figure out a elevated feeder. They work out west but round here turkeys a lot more wild acting.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

You elevate the feeders and you'll get pictures of the raccoons toting ladders.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Haven’t seen a coon yet yet that wouldn’t eat from a feeder!!!! I know how to take care of the coons!!!!!
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

I know how to get rid of the coons also ....... Can't talk about it here but them boys on quail plantations sure know how to do it ...

Turkeys have no problem using spin feeders , they hit my Moltries during deer season while running straight corn . Coons do climb them and spin out all they want also .
10th Legion legionare !
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

2nd100 wrote: August 9th, 2021, 10:16 pm I know how to get rid of the coons also ....... Can't talk about it here but them boys on quail plantations sure know how to do it ...

Turkeys have no problem using spin feeders , they hit my Moltries during deer season while running straight corn . Coons do climb them and spin out all they want also .
That lil song and dance needs to happen everywhere east of the Mississippi. Would go along way in helping the predator control issues.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”