Pesticide treated seeds and wildlife

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
coconut

Pesticide treated seeds and wildlife

Post by coconut »

I saw where grant woods has a video out describing the dangers of pesticide laced seeds. Might be worth watching. He is in the camp of we must kill every predator and “improve “ the habitat to make everything all better.
I am more of a realist. I don’t think most people have the time, skill or resources to successfully do this. It would be wonderful if they did. I think in many areas the limit needs to be reduced until more information is gathered.
I also value the opinion of other turkey hunters especially those w with years of hunting under there belt. Seems to me most of the “experts” disregard these folks. Cause the experts always know best.
What do y’all think?
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Pesticide treated seeds and wildlife

Post by HunterGKS »

"kill every predator"

No only no but HELL NO!!!! If you want to see a total collapse, kill all the predators.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Meleagris gallopavo

Post by Meleagris gallopavo »

I saw the video and I have made comments on Facebook and on other forums regarding this. I don't think neonicotinoid seed is much to worry about so far as turkey populations declines seen in many areas. Turkeys have been eating this seed treatment for many years in areas where the populations are good as well as where the populations are declining.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Meleagris gallopavo wrote: July 12th, 2021, 10:21 am Turkeys have been eating this seed treatment for many years in areas where the populations are good as well as where the populations are declining.
N' Dat's Da' Truf ' :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Turkeys are cyclical, other variables influence the peaks and valleys
coconut

Post by coconut »

Dr grant will often point out that since predator hide sales went down turkey numbers did as well. I pointed out that turkey ammo sales also went up about this time. Is there a correlation ? I dunno know but don’t see how one argument is better than another. Could be either or both or neither.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

To find the answer on the declining turkey populations you have to look no further than a mirror. Man is quick to point the blame finger at everything except himself. And the man affect on the populations are multifaceted.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: July 12th, 2021, 12:25 pm To find the answer on the declining turkey populations you have to look no further than a mirror. Man is quick to point the blame finger at everything except himself. And the man affect on the populations are multifaceted.
DAYAM RONNIE!!!! That's the most erudite statement you have ever made!!!! You musta got over
being askeered from your FL trip!!!!
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I slipped on a python and bumped my head on a gator.
Double Naught Spy!
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

guesswho wrote: July 12th, 2021, 12:25 pm To find the answer on the declining turkey populations you have to look no further than a mirror. Man is quick to point the blame finger at everything except himself. And the man affect on the populations are multifaceted.
This we are the number predator for male turkeys fact.
Meleagris gallopavo

Post by Meleagris gallopavo »

Hunting and harvesting turkeys are but one of the things man does to affect turkey populations. Timber harvest, urban expansion, agriculture and predator control are all part of it. The scale of these effects are different based on geographic location and other factors. If we were never here (Native Americans included), turkey populations would be different based on local plant flora, water resources, climate, topography, etc for any given region. Some things we do are advantageous to turkey populations and some are not. It's complex.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Anyone got any thoughts on how to rapidly increase the turkey population and/or stop the decline in areas where it’s occurring.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Reduce harvest numbers (trigger control), trap and kill nest robbers all year where legal, quit burning during incubation periods, just to name a few. I would mention raptors, but they're protected.
Double Naught Spy!
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

guesswho wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:38 pm Reduce harvest numbers (trigger control), trap and kill nest robbers all year where legal, quit burning during incubation periods, just to name a few. I would mention raptors, but they're protected.
Mr. Smart, extremely to the point :thumbup: . If I may comment, crows due more predation than people realize. Couldn't agree with you more. Now if I could convince the kids that Foxtrots are NOT crow loads I could reduce the OT shifts !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

spider316 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:57 pm
guesswho wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:38 pm Reduce harvest numbers (trigger control), trap and kill nest robbers all year where legal, quit burning during incubation periods, just to name a few. I would mention raptors, but they're protected.
Mr. Smart, extremely to the point :thumbup: . If I may comment, crows due more predation than people realize. Couldn't agree with you more. Now if I could convince the kids that Foxtrots are NOT crow loads I could reduce the OT shifts !

I've been catchin' a bunch of predators this spring and still am, more of skunks, than coon & possum this year, even though it started a bit slow, until after the hen's nest was robbed or crows got the poults. :banghead:

Outside of sittin' and waitin', in this cussed' hot weather, has anyone figured out how to catch a crow??
They clean my live trap out at the base and as far into it as they can reach :angryfire:

I've even tried to put a piece of carboard on a 110 conibear trap, but always is/was a miss :(
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
coconut

Post by coconut »

I can honestly say I have never known of anyone trying to trap a crow. We used to have crow hunts in the afternoons after turkey hunting. Decoys and crow calls usually with hawk calls mixed in.
Crows are very intelligent birds.
Kent444

Post by Kent444 »

kill all the predators

Return to “Gobbler Talk”